Buying Gadgets and most other stuff online

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

is it sort of helpful if the postal people know me personally, and it's more arbitrary, or is there a kind of a set equation on how it's calculated?

My experience? Turns out the postal inspector has relatives (naturally) near my hometown and we grew friendly. My next shipment? Still paid:angry:. As to the amount to pay? When I got my first shipment, I was still under the impression that EVERYONE was going to try to take advantage of me. Once the inspector and I established a friendly relationship I asked to see the rules and regulations covering VAT on packages received in the mail. We dug it out and YEP there it was in black and white. I don't recall the exact percentages but it was all in the postal regs.

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Doable!! As long as any fee is not outrageous, I could deal with it. Knowing me I'd pay whatever LOL if I wanted it bad enough. I remember Dave refused the high fee, but his SO went back and payed to get her camera from what I recall.

Queenie, I enjoy some shopping therapy from time to time. I try to restrict myself to things available locally but I'm sure that at one point I will break down and order something from a foreign seller. It's just one of the things one has to live with.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
Just now, scott h said:

My experience? Turns out the postal inspector has relatives (naturally) near my hometown and we grew friendly. My next shipment? Still paid:angry:. As to the amount to pay? When I got my first shipment, I was still under the impression that EVERYONE was going to try to take advantage of me. Once the inspector and I established a friendly relationship I asked to see the rules and regulations covering VAT on packages received in the mail. We dug it out and YEP there it was in black and white. I don't recall the exact percentages but it was all in the postal regs.

Scott--I'll just have to rely on my considerable charm, or just bite the bullet on the required amount LOL!

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, robert k said:

Queenie, I enjoy some shopping therapy from time to time. I try to restrict myself to things available locally but I'm sure that at one point I will break down and order something from a foreign seller. It's just one of the things one has to live with.

Me too...:smile:

roddavis
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

That was my plan Robert. Lets say the seller though, is willing to ship to me from the US--after I pay either the listed USPS shipping or Priority shipping listed, do you think that there will be an added fee when the item arrives at my post office?

Also, I used to have a PayPal account in the States, put it's closed by now. How can I get a new dollar PayPal account from here in the Philippines?

Anyone who wants to chime in here is welcome...

Yes Queenie, the local post office will collect the VAT fee when you get the package. I used ebay (US) to order a water bed at @$40 cuz could not find one locally in Cebu. (BTW a waterbed sure does keep you cool at night!) I paid with Paypal (US) and the product was sent to local post office here. I was notified that a package was waiting. I arrived and was informed of the additional fee I believe of 9-12% of the original cost. So between the cost of the product, shipping and VAT, the cost was doubled! Now as far as Paypal is concerned. I think your paypal account would still be active. I let mine lapse for over a year, an I was still able to use it for US purchases. Now if you use ebay.ph or Lazada and try to use your paypal (us) account, you won't be allowed to transact it. No problem, open another Paypal in the Philippines with no bank/credit card associated with it. Then use Paypal (US) to send funds to your Paypal (PI) account. Then can use it for Lazada, or ebay(PI) purchases. The transfer between US and PI paypal only takes @10 mins to transfer!:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Thanks Rod--all good advice. I think that you're right about the old paypal account, if I can't reactivate it I'll just make a new one.

How the heck did you get a waterbed from eBay delivered here?! Tax on it was a bummer, but it seems like it was a good purchase for you anyway:smile:

• Like 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

How the heck did you get a waterbed from eBay delivered here?! Tax on it was a bummer, but it seems like it was a good purchase for you anyway:smile:

Thanks! Just make sure that the seller will ship international from the US. Still for almost double the fee, and you can't find the product in PI it was still worth it! A queen size waterbed does wonders for keeping cool at night and relieving my back problems. Had a local make the bed frame(raised platform) mattress box and drawers underneath for a couple hundred peso's.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Well Robert seeing that I'm into vintage Hawaiian dresses and vintage or unique things in general, I know that I already have it in my mind that I WANT that item, so I guess I'll just have to have some extra  money set aside for those fees, and just take my chances..-

I ordered 4 t-shirts and 2 pairs of shorts from Cabelas. Shipped fedex, customs was in the p1,400 range. Put me off of online ordering from outside the country. Working on my uncle filling a BB box now.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I ordered 4 t-shirts and 2 pairs of shorts from Cabelas. Shipped fedex, customs was in the p1,400 range. Put me off of online ordering from outside the country. Working on my uncle filling a BB box now.

Wow--that is pretty steep! I think I'll just try one or two items of clothing to start , and try to gauge what the tax might be next time. It's just that when you're looking for a one of a kind type item, US eBay is really the only place to get it.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I ordered 4 t-shirts and 2 pairs of shorts from Cabelas. Shipped fedex, customs was in the p1,400 range.

Criskey! for that and the cost of the stuff. You could have a Cheap family outfit at Lee Plaza For that amount. :89:

But seriously, I thought the type of stuff you ordered would have been zero rated. Expensive/designer clothes I can Understand.

• Like 1