Supermarkets such as S&M.

Think you have been in Thailand to long:hystery: it's S & R not S & M:89:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Scott,

Oh my, you poor US and your global knowledge - I am Australian, not British.  But you got it a little right, as we were founded by the Brits in 1770 as a convict settlement!  It is also where the kangaroos hop up and down the main street of Sydney?

LOL! First time I'd ever heard of a Vegemite sandwich was through this song back then! I thought Australia sounded so sexy and exotic..

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You know many Topics come up about "What is so Good about Dumaguete" well G&G's this sort of thing is one of them We have quite a few Shops that have  much of what we are talking about. Seems that we have Expats that will do something for things in demand. We have a UK Shop in the City for canned and Jar stuff. We have an Outlet for decent ham and bacon. We have a bar that has a Fridge of decent Expat food from a decent Butcher up by the Airport.  On Friday I will go to Whynot bar on the Boulevard for my Monthly Pork Pie and Lincoln sausages + maybe a Chicken Pie or beef and Onion or a Steak and Kidney Pie. Both our 2 Large Stores are not part of the Robs or SM Chain (Although we have 2 Robs) so can they buy what they feel can be sold. Both have Expat sections and the price is not that bad. Maybe we are Lucky but the Things in this Topic can be got, You just gotta shop around a little. Bread we have now. in a German bakery up the hill in Valencia

Yep we are spoiled But..............................:shades:

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, robert k said:

Kikkonan soy sauce is probably available but more expensive than other brands. You can probably find some kind of breading that will suit you, I personally use egg crushed crackers and general purpose flour. Heinz probably at a cost, ketchup isn't hard to come by and unless it's banana ketchup, fairly decent. Think Del Monte. Ground garlic, grind some. Powdered garlic, yes. Be flexible.

Kikkoman soy sauce is available in most supermarkets here, and is even on the tables in many local restaurants. Many local and imported breadings available including Japanese panko that I use. Lots of spices and condiments available, you just have to shop around for what appeals to you. Frosty is right--I've seen Vegemite too at Rustan's in Mandaue City.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

You know many Topics come up about "What is so Good about Dumaguete" well G&G's this sort of thing is one of them We have quite a few Shops that have  much of what we are talking about. Seems that we have Expats that will do something for things in demand. We have a UK Shop in the City for canned and Jar stuff. We have an Outlet for decent ham and bacon. We have a bar that has a Fridge of decent Expat food from a decent Butcher up by the Airport.  On Friday I will go to Whynot bar on the Boulevard for my Monthly Pork Pie and Lincoln sausages + maybe a Chicken Pie or beef and Onion or a Steak and Kidney Pie. Both our 2 Large Stores are not part of the Robs or SM Chain (Although we have 2 Robs) so can they buy what they feel can be sold. Both have Expat sections and the price is not that bad. Maybe we are Lucky but the Things in this Topic can be got, You just gotta shop around a little. Bread we have now. in a German bakery up the hill in Valencia

Yep we are spoiled But..............................:shades:

You ARE spoiled Jack! Those choices sound great!

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Domino22 said:

I will look in November  but if I would post a list of things I would like to buy in the PI and see if they are available is this the place to post? I will check out the stores next month and make a list of what I need or would like and see if I can find them. Those I cannot find could I post those here?

If the area you will be in is the entire country "the PI" I am sure you could find everything on your list. However, if you will be in or near a particular city, it might help us answer if we knew which one... Just sayin :mocking: (friendly jest)

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Domino22 said:

Golden dip fry breading-good tarter sauces -heinz ketchup- sea salt-kicokmans soy sauce- ground garlic-pasta brands etc.

Sea salt is available Domino. Rustan's Supermarket sells their brand Waitrose tarter sauce, and Kraft Tarter sauce is available in some supermarkets here in Cebu City. As AlwaysRT mentioned, not every place carries everything, and I would tend to think that cities might carry more than more distant places. You'll have to scope around in your area though.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, frosty (chris) said:

Think you have been in Thailand to long:hystery: it's S & R not S & M:89:

I think he means the supermarkets in SM. :smile:

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

JGF--could we have a section on the forum along these lines where readers could post latest sightings/finds of certain item that many might like to know about? If something is spotted somewhere, it gives me hope that I might find it some day. I remember that someone posted a long while ago that they found imported Kraft Miracle Whip at S & R. I've been searching all over Cebu, and finally recently scored several containers here in Cebu! Not sure if this is of interest of others, but I'd like it.:smile:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

LOL! First time I'd ever heard of a Vegemite sandwich was through this song back then! I thought Australia sounded so sexy and exotic..

Yes, the same here in Pattaya, but I bring it back when I go to Oz!  

Queenie, if you have not tried one, don't knock it!!!  Even better on toast!

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 1