Moving to Manila July 2018

Amberforce
Posted
Posted

All I can say is that, being in the Philippines, there are always ways around any problem. Firstly, if you happen to leave the Phils for whatever reason and come back, your 90 days starts again. Secondly, the rules are just a guideline and not to be taken too seriously, or so I am told. It could be that if I had gone to the LTO (Land Transportation Office) on a different day, or spoken to a different person I might have got a different answer. Make of that what you will.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I understand that, have just looked at LTO page that gives details of requirements for conversion of foreign license for temporary visitors. Have been here a while now and was not going to drive but that may be changing in the future, hence my interest now. The old YMMV comes in to play!

Amberforce
Posted
Posted

Let me know how you get on if you choose to go to the LTO. At the moment I am happy to use taxi's and get lifts with family etc because it may be a few months before I can afford to have a car. As I live in a condo the car parking is quite expensive below the main building, around P5,000 per month. I was just going to wait until next January when my visa becomes permanent before I get my licence. We are still trying to sell our house in the UK so until that happens we won't have funds for a car. Hope you get on ok at the LTO anyway 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Does this mean that I cannot avail of a local driving license until I have a permanent 13a? I understand that rules have changed but most people I know on tourist visa here have local driving license.

Anyone 9a or 13a Visa can have a Licence what the Law says is you must be able prove an Address and that you will be here 1 year and more, the ACR will show this

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, virginprune said:

Does this mean that I cannot avail of a local driving license until I have a permanent 13a? I understand that rules have changed but most people I know on tourist visa here have local driving license.

Probably because it's only been about a year since the rule change that you have to show you are going to be in the country for at least a year to get a Philippines drivers license. I got my license in 2015 on a tourist visa because at that time it was allowed. At the moment I believe I am grandfathered in to renew it next year and hopefully that will not change!

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Anyone 9a or 13a Visa can have a Licence what the Law says is you must be able prove an Address and that you will be here 1 year and more, the ACR will show this

Jack, how does one show that they are going to be there for 1 year on a tourist visa? 

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

The 9a is not a residence visa and the maximum you can get is 6 months so doesn't meet the requirement, I don't see where the ACR card comes into it, vistor and resident ACR cards are different cards. The visitor ACR card is only valid for one year so again doesn't qualify.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

Jack, how does one show that they are going to be there for 1 year on a tourist visa? 

1 year rental agreement for house/apartment has worked for a few.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Gary D said:

The 9a is not a residence visa and the maximum you can get is 6 months so doesn't meet the requirement, I don't see where the ACR card comes into it, vistor and resident ACR cards are different cards. The visitor ACR card is only valid for one year so again doesn't qualify.

Of course it does as you don't get it until your 2nd Extension then it is dated for one year and that is what LTO want to see it also has an Address. Which you need  to obtain a Licence so from date of entry + the time for an ACR card is well over the 1 year rule. NEXT:whistling:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

1 year rental agreement for house/apartment has worked for a few.

As long as you can PROVE you will be here over 1 year then this is fine.:whistling: NEXT

• Like 1