Death as an Expat

jpbago
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

It is better to live a full life than a long life. 

It is better to erase "than" to read: It is better to live a long full life.

9 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way."

~Alan Watts~

Wishing for a short life seems foolish.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Wishing for a short life seems foolish.

Yes, I agree but there is a happy medium.  Seems like many are afraid of death. Our loved ones do not want us to die ever. They would rather watch us slowly but surely wither away. I watched my father die slowly. 

it is a fact that many men who suffer from a terminally ill condition have committed suicide with a firearm rather than wither away.

It is legal now in California to legally have all life support taken away. "Euthanasia"

My uncle died in his recliner waiting for aunt and cousin to get ready. No pain, no indication he was even  sick. His heart just stopped. I don't think he was much more than 60. 

Edited by Gratefuled
addition
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Gratefuled said:

It is legal now in California to legally have all life support taken away. 

That is the case here also, When my MIL was so close to Death, all the family (Children still living of course) we called to SUMC and were talked through what was happening, when they realised there was NO hope for the 92 year old, they all agreed and signed a Withdrawal of Life support and she went peacefully in about 8 hours

Miss the Old Girl but it was better for her. 

We don't talk about Death in the House (Which is Good) but we all know it is going to come. Death does not  particularly bother me, I know I gotta go sometime but it is HOW that gives me the Shivers at times.:mellow:

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Yes, this combined with smoking can attract a virus. Clean the filter in A/C as needed just to be safe and better performance. 

I might add that there is a "permanent Pneumonia" shot that is available. I had mine back in the states before coming here. I get a flu shot every year. I've never had anything more than a common cold since I've been here ( 6 years). I do get LBM from time to time. 

Check out the "permanent Pneumonia" shot and see if it covers both viral and bacterial pneumonia.

What! Pay attention here guys.... Go to the local pharmacy and buy 6 Azithromycin 500 mg tablets. No script needed and if asked for one go next door to the other pharmacy. This is an updated version of erythromycin. If you have an allergy to a 'mycin' do not take. But that is rare. Keep them dry and handy... Pneumonia often starts out as a chest cold or bronchitis. So, figure it out guys.... you have a heavy chest (no female joke intended) take 1 tab a day. :SugarwareZ-004:

If you have some extra cash 2,000-3,000 buy a nebulizer and some albuterol.... Between the azithromycin and the breathing treatments, you can avoid a trip to the doc and the hospital! Azithromycin also is the first line treatment for chlamydia the most popular STD today in many countries.... :Caught:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Azithromycin also is the first line treatment for chlamydia

Dang, and here I had an American doctor prescribe Doxycycline for that and it worked in just 5 days.  Wonder why he did not prescribe the "first line treatment"

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

Dang, and here I had an American doctor prescribe Doxycycline for that and it worked in just 5 days.  Wonder why he did not prescribe the "first line treatment"

Doxy is cheaper. Modern version of tetracycline. In the US and it's suburbs such as Canada, azithromycin is known as a Z Pak.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Go to the local pharmacy and buy 6 Azithromycin 500 mg tablets. No script needed and if asked for one go next door to the other pharmacy. This is an updated version of erythromycin. If you have an allergy to a 'mycin' do not take. But that is rare. Keep them dry and handy

Meds often say to keep them in a cool dry place but here it is so damn hot so is it OK to keep them in the ref?

I was scribed azithromycin for upper respiratory infections twice. Nickleback posted that in Iraq, fecal matter in the dust was a cause of URTIs so it makes me think maybe here too with all that dog shit on the roads blowing in the dust.

• Like 3

Bruce
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Meds often say to keep them in a cool dry place but here it is so damn hot so is it OK to keep them in the ref?

I was scribed azithromycin for upper respiratory infections twice. Nickleback posted that in Iraq, fecal matter in the dust was a cause of URTIs so it makes me think maybe here too with all that dog shit on the roads blowing in the dust.

Yes, in a tight container as to not attract moisture.

The key to not dying of a treatable infection or illness is to RECOGNIZE you have an issue and treat early. Speaking of chlamydia and other STDs, there is a situation called Ping Ponging. This is where the administrator... er, ah person with chlamydia 'acquires' an STD and has it treated but fails to have the GF, SO or friend with benefits treated. So he / she re-infects the other after the meds have worn off. The doc is again consulted and retreats the original patient again (and again and again) thinking he has some resistant infection, instead of realizing that BOTH (or all) sex partners need treatment.

Now, for those of you who somehow acquire such an infection and have it treated but are afraid of telling that special other person.... then just buy SPECIAL vitamins for the both of you to take..... :89:    

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Bruce said:

What! Pay attention here guys.... Go to the local pharmacy and buy 6 Azithromycin 500 mg tablets. No script needed and if asked for one go next door to the other pharmacy. This is an updated version of erythromycin. If you have an allergy to a 'mycin' do not take. But that is rare. Keep them dry and handy... Pneumonia often starts out as a chest cold or bronchitis. So, figure it out guys.... you have a heavy chest (no female joke intended) take 1 tab a day. :SugarwareZ-004:

If you have some extra cash 2,000-3,000 buy a nebulizer and some albuterol.... Between the azithromycin and the breathing treatments, you can avoid a trip to the doc and the hospital! Azithromycin also is the first line treatment for chlamydia the most popular STD today in many countries.... :Caught:

Salamat Po Bruce!  For those of you that don't know Bruce's background, he's our resident Doc (registered RN) who makes annual humanitarian trips to Samar and Leyte.  He's been around the block and knows a thing or two about getting sick in PI.  

That medical tip about STD is an awesome bonus!  Respectfully Jake

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/6/2017 at 9:43 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

In Philippines, expats die of pneumonia in their 60s and 70s quite frequently.  Or sometimes its complications like the heart gives out so they call it a heart attack but the real problem was the weakening of the body due to some bug.  Pneumonia is a huge killer in Philippines.

Not only in Philippines Dave, in NZ it's referred to as the old man's friend, my Dad also cercummed to this. I had this during my accident, it is was treatable mostly being forced to breath some concoction of hot chemicals. I understand there has been considerable progress here.

• Like 5