Armed civilian militia. Is this the answer?

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wow, 13 pages of pros and cons that could be applied in any country.  Robert K (an US army veteran specializing in all things that go boom) hits a bullseye about how easily one can get a firearm in any shape or caliber.  The city of Danao, just 20 miles north of Cebu is famous for its craftsmanship of paltiks (homemade guns).  Guarantee to discharge in one form or another the first time....he, he.  Yeah, I know that foreigners are prohibited to carry a firearm but a few thousand peso notes to the local police chief and you can have a certificate written in gold.  I strongly DO NOT recommend it because the next police chief or mayor may cancel your permit.  However, it's the ammo that are in short supply.  So if you think you might be overrun by shabu crazed zombies, use your wife's expertise in swinging that bolo knife.

Armed civilian militia?  I would love to see a battalion of well armed civilians that will go through a rigorous boot camp and then recertified every 6 months in every major city. They shall be trained and equipped with the latest technology of Motorola's that have a direct link to the police dispatchers (tuned to a different channel just in case the police are the abusers of civil liberties...he, he).  Their sidearm would be a large canister of mace that would knock down a bear in heat and also have this axe handle baseball bat autographed by Mickey Mantle.

Axe handle.JPG This one for you Gerald!

My current home and vehicle defense is a 4 C size Maglite and a cannister of pepper spray.  I would love to have an armory of assault rifles with exotic scopes and enough ammo that would last me 10 seasons of The Walking Dead but I ain't the Rambo type nor could I afford an AR-15 at 1200 bucks each with only a 10 round mag (CA restrictions).  

Life's a bitch sometimes, especially when you have lawyers arguing against you why you wasted a guy that threaten your life and property.  Lawyers (certified liars or politicians) can be the bad guys too.  

Respectfully Jake

Edited by Jake
spel chek
  • Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Here is a news article from 2013 that just points out, even Americans don't seem to realize how many private militias there are on their own soil :photo-109:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/05/southern-poverty-law-center-militias-gun-control/1964411/

Since this is an older article there could be many more today, or less.

I would not trust anything the Southern Poverty Law Center published. They are very biased. At one point they published the top 50 list of right wing extremists. I had personally met a half dozen or so of the people on the list and new of many of them. If you were someone who supported the US Constitution, especially the 2nd amendment, the SLPC considers you to be a right wing extremist and potential terrorist.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, earthdome said:

I would not trust anything the Southern Poverty Law Center published. They are very biased. At one point they published the top 50 list of right wing extremists. I had personally met a half dozen or so of the people on the list and new of many of them. If you were someone who supported the US Constitution, especially the 2nd amendment, the SLPC considers you to be a right wing extremist and potential terrorist.

Agree.  They are just an arm of the left wing in the U.S.  In fact, I just looked at their Hatewatch page and right at the top it says:

Hatewatch monitors and exposes the activities of the American radical right.

There is plenty of hate on the left, but apparently that is ok.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There is plenty of hate on the left, but apparently that is ok.

I agree. There is a lot of hate in America. Both Left and Right. 

Another reason to thank God for the 2nd Amendment. No one wants to be a victim. 

Now you can have it 083013.jpg

Edited by Gratefuled
addition
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2017 at 8:28 AM, scott h said:

I am just going to have to call you out on this one Big G. As a young (ish) sergeant in HQ Plt, company B, 2-185 armor, California army national guard. We were in our armories at 1am the morning following the break out of the riots 1992. After arming up we were in the Huntington beach armory by 6 pm that day, I remember seeing the smoke rising in celoms was we drove up the 405.

By 6am the following morning I along with 3 other soldiers, were patrolling up and down Crenshaw Blvd detaining thugs as they were carrying things out of stores. We spent the following week sleeping in the parking area of the Crenshaw mall, patrolling the streets, and protecting the business of the locals. Did we shoot a bunch of folks? Nope, but as a funny side note, we sure shut that area down (martial law?) it was hilarious to see the drug addicts wandering the streets at night trying to find a fix. We rounded them up by the truck load. Anyway, as soon as  we were on the street, there was no more looting:571b119686cf7_1(72):

As I understand it, the National Guard is a large force that has been around for a long time?  Obviously properly trained and managed.  Giving guns to 'respectable citizens' and letting them loose, is quite a different scenario.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Not off topic, but an adjunct to this discussion and without elaborating too much for fear of impeachment, I watched an excellent interview by a Russian journalist with DU30 yesterday.

Firstly, I was most impressed by DU30 and how he handled himself, not matter what they say, he is clearly a very smart man.  Many issues were covered including his attempts to obtain military weapons from US to try and arm his troops for the southern insurgency.  Approved by US Defense Department but overruled by Congress, due to 'possible human rights violations'.  The result, he is buying them from the Russians, who are happy to sell to him, no questions or stipulations demanded.

From the loss of Army lives down there over the past week or so, they are clearly under equipped to bring the fighting to an end, it would appear.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

From the loss of Army lives down there over the past week or so, they are clearly under equipped to bring the fighting to an end, it would appear.

I am no so sure Philippine troops both Army and Marines are ill equipped.  

The terrorists have obviously not just suddenly decided to take over Marawi.  This is something that has been planned well in advance. There are tunnels under the Mosque and other places. There are strategic places where they have set up snipers. They have taken hostages and use them as human shields. This is not a conventional  conflict. Collateral damage will be and has been high. Philippine forces cannot make an all out assault without inflicting heavy damage to innocent civilians. 

Look at this as a test of what they, (terrorists) can do and will do in the future in another location probably close to the sea where they can retreat to. With more and more foreign terrorists loyal to ISIS look for more assaults. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I am no so sure Philippine troops both Army and Marines are ill equipped.  

The terrorists have obviously not just suddenly decided to take over Marawi.  This is something that has been planned well in advance. There are tunnels under the Mosque and other places. There are strategic places where they have set up snipers. They have taken hostages and use them as human shields. This is not a conventional  conflict. Collateral damage will be and has been high. Philippine forces cannot make an all out assault without inflicting heavy damage to innocent civilians. 

Look at this as a test of what they, (terrorists) can do and will do in the future in another location probably close to the sea where they can retreat to. With more and more foreign terrorists loyal to ISIS look for more assaults. 

Ed, retreat by sea is the last thing I would want to do once I have been engaged against an enemy that has coast guard cutters and jet fighter aircraft. There is no place to hide on the surface of the sea. The recent attack and kidnapping that withdrew by sea was not in contact with government forces and they landed again really quick. If they had stayed on the water, they would have been caught.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

As I understand it, the National Guard is a large force that has been around for a long time?  Obviously properly trained and managed.  Giving guns to 'respectable citizens' and letting them loose, is quite a different scenario.

Since I would include you in 'respectable citizen', are you saying that if you were allowed to own a gun you would get one and go on a shooting rampage? Or would you , IF you ever decided you wanted one, get training so you knew how to operate it safely and only use it as a last resort?

If 'respectable citizens' can not be trusted with guns, we should take their cars away also... good idea to ban alcohol also... hey a curfew would be good... 

I don't think the average guy on the street is so irresponsible - it is the kooks on the news that give the average guy a bad name and the average guy who is then limited in freedom because of it.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

Ed, retreat by sea is the last thing I would want to do once I have been engaged against an enemy that has coast guard cutters and jet fighter aircraft. There is no place to hide on the surface of the sea. The recent attack and kidnapping that withdrew by sea was not in contact with government forces and they landed again really quick. If they had stayed on the water, they would have been caught.

Robert, you are comparing US forces to Philippine forces. The terrorists have used the water to launch an attack and withdraw before. There is not enough Philippine Coast Guard to guard all the coastlines day and night. Mindanao has a lot of coastline and that's just one island. Then there's the Visayas, Palawan and other islands. 

• Like 1