Transitioning to a Philippines Retirement

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2017 at 5:53 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

You mentioned your Navy days and you can see in my member name that I am still a 'Hound driver...

(Yes folks, I popped the question on 7/17/17, she said YES,  and life is good again . . .  so transitioning to a Philippines retirement can be a fresh start if you look at it as a new beginning instead of an end to a career.)

Big time congrats, Dave!

As to Hound driver - thanks for the explanation. I was worried you were some kind of Dog Catcher lol.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2017 at 5:53 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

You mentioned your Navy days and you can see in my member name that I am still a 'Hound driver so I think that many of us identify with one particular job in our lives that gave us at least a part of "who we are".  But like you, I had very little trouble transitioning.  I loved my job, and I still feel a kinship for people in the same profession, but it is only a part of who we are.

The ones I feel a small pity for are the ones who hated every job they ever had so much that they have to come to Philippines and "pretend" they were someone important like a sniper or a SEAL or some such thing.  For me, I was proud, honored and full of self respect that I simply kept people safe and kept a huge piece of machinery between the ditches and the right way up for 30 years.  Now I am proud and honored to be engaged to a wonderful filipina lady and using my retirement to help her raise her son and have a better life.

(Yes folks, I popped the question on 7/17/17, she said YES,  and life is good again . . .  so transitioning to a Philippines retirement can be a fresh start if you look at it as a new beginning instead of an end to a career.)

Now that that the bird is out of the bush as Jack would say... :89:

I can say "Congratulations Dave!" Your gal is one sweetheart thats for sure. We hope you both will find true happiness.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thanks.  The bachelor thing has not been working well for me of late.  It did take a while for this engagement to happen.  I lived with the lady since Feb and then we broke up and then I decided to ask her to come back and marry me and now I have to figure out how to handle committed relationships and a whole lotta other stuff that I am not good at.  But thanks for the congrats.  There's many a slip between engagement and marriage but I'm gonna give it my best shot.  I've seen and experienced too many relationship breakdowns lately.  Seems like filipinas are starting to expect more than chicken feet and rice in order to give their best in a relationship :89: who'd a thunk it?

With the growing popularity of dating sites targeting filipinas, and guys who send 1,000s of US dollars based on some pretty picture and a couple weeks chatting online, its getting so finding a good girl is not as simple as it once was.  So to anyone who finds one, treat her right and put a ring on it.

Congrats Dave!  Wishing you both the best!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, davewe said:

As to Hound driver - thanks for the explanation.

Dave.jpg

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Thanks.  The bachelor thing has not been working well for me of late.  It did take a while for this engagement to happen.  I lived with the lady since Feb and then we broke up and then I decided to ask her to come back and marry me and now I have to figure out how to handle committed relationships and a whole lotta other stuff that I am not good at.  But thanks for the congrats.  There's many a slip between engagement and marriage but I'm gonna give it my best shot.  I've seen and experienced too many relationship breakdowns lately.  Seems like filipinas are starting to expect more than chicken feet and rice in order to give their best in a relationship :89: who'd a thunk it?

With the growing popularity of dating sites targeting filipinas, and guys who send 1,000s of US dollars based on some pretty picture and a couple weeks chatting online, its getting so finding a good girl is not as simple as it once was.  So to anyone who finds one, treat her right and put a ring on it.

Come on now Dave, I am pretty darn sure you got it figured out. I think your heart and your mind are in 100% agreement AND you hit the jackpot finding the perfect woman for you. I would say good luck but you don't need it, enjoy the start of your happy future sounds more like it. :thumbsup:

• Like 4