What are some pros and cons about living in and/or away from the city?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Go to your local sari sari and ask for a Sakto.  You will get the small bottle you see in this pic.  I did not know it had any other meaning

Sakto.jpg

Yes Dave that`s what I use the word for never heard it used for good enough but I like that meaning.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Yes Dave that`s what I use the word for never heard it used for good enough but I like that meaning.

According to my wife, Coke Sakto refers to the tiny cokes, because in fact it is "good enough" for one person.

• Like 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, davewe said:

I don't know that much Visayan but one of the words I know and have used often for years is Sakto, meaning good enough. By Western standards there are no places with all of your must haves, let alone the rest of your list. However there are places that are "sakto." BTW, I live in Valencia, one of your stated places. I am new to PI and still retain my rose colored glasses but even I am taken a bit aback by your list of must haves.

Public transport 24/7 - make friends with a trike driver, who in an emergency can take you wherever you want to go. 

Waste/garbage - Sure, but not what you're used to.

Reliable utilities - I assume you mean no brown outs - few places like that. In Valencia my water is periodically turned off. We fill a bucket with water. It's sakto.

Quiet - Yes, unless you don't like roosters or cows in the morning. Personally I'm crazy and like them.

Safe/secure - I think so but depends on your definition.

Clean - Valencia's sakto, but it ain't Switzerland.

Reliable, fast Internet - Again, depends on what your needs are. Most of the Philippines would certainly not meet this definition. So again can you adjust to sakto or will you be annoyed by the performance or service your provider gives you. 

If your serious about your move, learn the word sakto or make all those must haves into nice to have. 

Thanks for the response.

With "quite" is meant, that is must not be perfect. Few blackouts per month are not a problem. But constantly having blackouts are not that what I need. Your term "satko" will be describing it very well.

Public transport seems not be a big issue when choosing a city.

On the case of waste, several cities have a working garbage collection system. The question is if there is also some recycling available.

Reliable utilities means only few blackouts or out of water per month. It must not be perfect.

Quiet is doable even in the middle of very big cities if the living location is choosen the right way.

In the case of safe/secure is Davao a good example for a safe/secure city. When you can even go out in the night without being attacked on the streets.

I did experienced several cities visiting there or in streetview being quite clean but not perfect clean. That is OK for me. My country was becoming more dirty over the last years. Lot of littering around. 

On the internet thing. I know from many posts that in several locations are usable and reliable internet available. But better is to stay away from mobile internet. That one seems to be a hassle.

The list is not that strict as it looks.

Edited by Dr. Shiva

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

8 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Thanks for the response.

With "quite" is meant, that is must not be perfect. Few blackouts per month are not a problem. But constantly having blackouts are not that what I need. Your term "satko" will be describing it very well.

Public transport seems not be a big issue when choosing a city.

On the case of waste, several cities have a working garbage collection system. The question is if there is also some recycling available.

Reliable utilities means only few blackouts or out of water per month. It must not be perfect.

Quiet is doable even in the middle of very big cities if the living location is choosen the right way.

In the case of safe/secure is Davao a good example for a safe/secure city. When you can even go out in the night without being attacked on the streets.

I did experienced several cities bein there or in streetview being quite clean but not perfect clean. That is OK for me. My country was becoming more dirty over the last years. Lot of littering around. 

On the internet thing. I know from many posts that in several locations are usable and reliable internet available. But better is to stay away from mobile internet. That one seems to be a hassle.

The list is not that strict as it looks.

Good that you clarified. You would be fine in Valencia. The waste pick up is for biodegradable and non biodegradable. 

Edited by davewe

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, davewe said:

Good that you clarified. You would be fine in Valencia. The waste pick up is for biodegradable and non biodegradable. 

I assume you mean Valencia NegOr. Yeah that one is on my list even if it does not have a mall. But one is reachable by one ride on jeepney directly from Valencia.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dr. Shiva said:

I assume you mean Valencia NegOr. Yeah that one is on my list even if it does not have a mall. But one is reachable by one ride on jeepney directly from Valencia.

Yes, that Valencia. Actually it's a reasonably quick shot to both Robinson's and Hypermart from where I live. Neither would make it as a great mall in the West but both are sakto.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, davewe said:

but both are sakto.

There's that word again, For Dumaguete East Area they are more than sakto Dave, they are a God send, especially on a rainy day in Valencia which at this time you must be getting already as it is heavy rain down here in Junob :wink:

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, davewe said:

According to my wife, Coke Sakto refers to the tiny cokes, because in fact it is "good enough" for one person.

Dave to elaborate on that-- sakto is a variation on "exact" or just the right size for a snack.:smile: 

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

There's that word again, For Dumaguete East Area they are more than sakto Dave, they are a God send, especially on a rainy day in Valencia which at this time you must be getting already as it is heavy rain down here in Junob :wink:

Agreed Jack. And I like both Robinson's and Hypermart. Hell I've given them plenty of my money. Combined they are adequate for my needs and more. I just want to manage expectations that neither is perfect from Western mall standards. 

And yes, we're getting hit with some nice rain - which for the wife means it's karaoke time!

Edited by davewe
  • Haha 2

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, davewe said:

Yes, that Valencia. Actually it's a reasonably quick shot to both Robinson's and Hypermart from where I live. Neither would make it as a great mall in the West but both are sakto.

In the NegOr province I have several places on my list:

Dumaguete
Valencia (Near enough to Dumaguete to qualify for all points)
Bayawan (It seems to get two malls soon) one of the most clean cities I have seen on streetview. Get new hospital.
Tanjay City (Missing the mall and the hospital but everything else is OK.) Internet?
Bais City (Seems to get a Gaisano mall soon) Hospital seems to be an issue.

With the exception of Bayawan I know all these places personally.

Edited by Dr. Shiva