What are some pros and cons about living in and/or away from the city?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Dave to elaborate on that-- sakto is a variation on "exact" or just the right size for a snack.:smile: 

Yes, it means "exact" or "right amount".  Coke sakto, globe cell plans have "go sakto" for small loads. (sounds like a morphed form of the English word "exact" to me).

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, davewe said:

Agreed Jack. And I like both Robinson's and Hypermart. Hell I've given them plenty of my money. Combined they are adequate for my needs and more. I just want to manage expectations that neither is perfect from Western mall standards. 

And yes, we're getting hit with some nice rain - which for the wife means it's karaoke time!

Well there you have it ,,,,,if you want quiet don`t live next to Karaoke Dave.:whistling:

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Yes, it means "exact" or "right amount".  Coke sakto, globe cell plans have "go sakto" for small loads. (sounds like a morphed form of the English word "exact" to me).

This is the beauty of language but I think we're all saying the same here. The word means enough or good enough, meaning not too little and not too much; like Goldilocks says "it's just right." In the context of Western culture, which I cynically think is about excess - more than enough, sakto means it's adequate, enough, just right, good enough. Which I suppose was my original, if convoluted point; that if we can accept things that are good enough we can thrive; but many people cannot. So that 6 ounce Coke? It's enough, sakto. Robinson's Mall - again it's enough. But my observation is that many of us come from cultures in which enough is just not good enough.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I checked with my wife about the word "sakto".  "Sakto" is derived from exacto.  Exacto means exactly right.  She has been away from the Philippines for a long time, and thinks that "sakto",  having evolved as slang, may have broadened its meaning also to describe a size that is "just right", not too big and not too small.  Exacto is what you say when a person you have given instructions to, repeats what you just said.  If he gets it verbatim, you say "exacto".  As an adjective for measuring size or quantity, if you have just enough material to make a dress of a certain size or length, you say "exacto lang" and breathe a sigh of relief.  If you are trying to fill a container and you nearly fill it, you say "halos exacto" or almost exact.  To her "halos exacto" seems to bear the closest resemblance to "sakto", which is "good enough".  If it were "exacto", it would be perfect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can please someone help me to get more nice locations? I would like to see some more.

One I got is Valencia NegOr. Was already on my list.

Another is Tagaytay City. The issue is that this place appears to be quite expensive.

One city I want to see also is Puerto Princesa.

Olongapo and its neightbor Subic freeport area looks interesting also.

Edited by Dr. Shiva

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Where are now some recommendations according to my list? I would like to see some more.

One I got is Valencia NegOr.

Another is Tagaytay City. The issue is that this place appears to be quite expensive.

Is that a question or some sort of demand? let's be careful with our wording on Posting, YES?  My friend, we are here to help not be Directed and we are not another type of Forum, here we are Friends we ask  politeness and  courtesy  costs nothing :wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just because I felt the need ha ha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Is that a question or some sort of demand? let's be careful with our wording on Posting, YES?  My friend, we are here to help not be Directed and we are not another type of Forum, here we are Friends we ask and  politeness and  courtesy  costs nothing :wink:

It is a simple search question and not a demand. Probably a bit badly spelled. Thanks anyway. Respelled it to sound better.

Edited by Dr. Shiva

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dr. Shiva said:

It is a simple search question and not a demand. Probably a bit badly spelled. Thanks anyway.

Nothing wrong with your Spelling Doc but the way you ask things needs a little attention, Dumaguete, Valencia down to Davin is good, it all depends on your cash Flow which sounds a little on the short side :smile: 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dr. Shiva said:

Can please someone help me to get more nice locations? I would like to see some more.

One I got is Valencia NegOr. Was already on my list.

This is why it is hard.  I hate Valencia, so if you like it then anything I could recommend would not suit you.  Secondly, most of us have lived in from 1 to 3 different cities during our time here (unless you count a month or two here and there) so we don't have the experience to advise you.  Its one of those "boots on the ground" things.

• Like 1

Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is why it is hard.  I hate Valencia, so if you like it then anything I could recommend would not suit you.  Secondly, most of us have lived in from 1 to 3 different cities during our time here (unless you count a month or two here and there) so we don't have the experience to advise you.  Its one of those "boots on the ground" things.

Valencia is on my list primary due being near to Dumaguete and its cooler climate. And for shopping it takes only one ride to the Robinsons mall. Valencia seems to have a working waste management as having an emergency transport system even if it is getting misused sometimes. But I admit that it is not my top location. This is why I'm looking for even better locations.

I would agree that one to two months staying on one place will provide only a rough picture of a location. 

Can you please still list the locations? I'm happy for every recommentation. It can be that I overlooked the location. Thank you.