Murder and Suicide

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

OK, I looked up a link and I cannot say if it is a reliable source but it says the shooter was on Valium.   Now tons of people take Valium and they don't kill anyone, (except themselves if they take too much, mix it with alcohol, and try to drive).

Perhaps it acts differently with different personalities.

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

OK, I looked up a link and I cannot say if it is a reliable source but it says the shooter was on Valium.   Now tons of people take Valium and they don't kill anyone, (except themselves if they take too much, mix it with alcohol, and try to drive).

Perhaps it acts differently with different personalities.

Antidepressant  and anti-anxiety do have a history of abnormal behavior in some people.  https://www.cchrint.org/psychiatric-drugs/drug_warnings_on_violence/recent-murdersmurder-suicides/

WHIPPING BOY
Posted
Posted

It's easy to then say these people are clearly very unhappy. I refer to Prof Harari's book ''Sapiens'' pg 376-96.

''Biologists hold our mental and emotional world is governed by biochemical mechanisms shaped by evolution. Like all other mental states, our subjective well-being is not determined by external parameters, salary, social, political... Rather by complex system of nerves, neurons, synapses and various biochemical substances like serotonin, dopamine and oxytocin.''

So what they say is we cannot be made to be happy beyond a point, that point is set in ones own make-up. Some people can never be happy beyond a set point say 5-6 out of 10, others will reach a point of say 8-10, yet another will battle along at 3-4...when a happy event occurs the person can only momentarily enjoy a higher level, but never higher than their upper set points before settling back within their own set range.

So some people really just suffer along at a low depressing level. Often recreational drugs and alcohol usage are feeble attempts to make us feel better, which usually results in a period of significantly lower inner feelings.

It is hoped more research will enable us to reach better happiness levels to accept and even enjoy the artificial lives that civilisation has created for us all. Because as the book states, ''happiness does indeed come from within''.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ClearSky
Posted
Posted

The age old prescription for sadness and hopelessness and a variety of other feelings; is religion. I think we don't talk about religion on this forum as a rule (probably a good rule). Yes there are some bad bad stuff that occurs in and because of religion. But many a suicide or murder has likely been prevented due to it.  Albeit some caused by it.

The overall problem is competition for what we want. And then when not winning, what to do... pray, shoot, or talk over a beer, or maybe beer without talking... Probably a lot of other good and bad choices. Two bad choices are murder and suicide.

There just is not many ppl that will really sacrifice there own wants to give to another. Yes we give of what we don't really need or want... and discuss and talk but real sharing of wealth or helping without reward just doesn't happen often. It is not always money someone is in need of, it can be only time.

I likely don't have the right answer either, this is just MHO.

Castaway
Posted
Posted

List of countries by intentional homicide rate

The Philippines has the highest murder rate (per 100,000 people) in Southeast Asia, so all of the talk of keeping a low profile over here is very good advice.

Capture.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate