What's It Like Where You Live In The Pi

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

I know I have not been to the PI in 15 years or so...I know everything has changed a lot. Since my last place to be was between La Union and Angeles City back and forth, I don't know any place else.. Since this is NOT a forum just about CEBU, maybe some of you guys could describe where you live, why you picked that place, what you like and dislike about it...Might help some of us make some decisions about where we might want to at least check out before making a permanent landing there. How about it?Jim

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Cagayan de Oro the golden city of friendship as it is called, on top of Mindanao is a very nice place to live, we did not buy there because they did not have any condos at the time and I am told they will have some up or in progress by the next time we are there, so I am going to look at some if they do. CDO is so much friendlier than any place we have ever been in the Philippines and the city is clean. They have people clean the streets every night. The malls are nice but no where as large as Cebu, yet CDO is growing fast and I am sure it will not be long before the malls get bigger and they have gotten bigger since we started going there....... Home prices were reasonable but of course going up like everywhere else in PI and rents were very reasonable, and overall life there is less expensive than Cebu and a slower way of life for the most part. I would say if you want a fast life that it would not be good for you, but if you want to kick back, then you should look at CDO. We have spent a lot of time in CDO over the years but I am sure some who live there like Retired, tweety (Daisy) cagayanstar and maybe others can tell you a lot more, so I hope they can comment on it. One thing I have heard from them and others is that there is a large expat community there and they meet often and are much more organized than in Cebu and that is a great thing to hear because it could mean answers to a lot of questions for those of us who might want to live there.

• Like 1

paul
Posted
Posted

Jim, If I may ask, what are you in need of as far as local living goes? What I mean here is, do you need what a big city offers, nightlife, movie theaters, etc.? Or, do you want to be more in a rural area, for peaceful, quiet evenings? There are lots of smaller cities and towns one may consider as far as living goes:Provinces are in bold, with the cities and towns in them, as regular type.CebuSanta Fe, Bantayan Island - Off the northwest coast of Cebu. Regular ferries from Santa Fe to Hagnaya, San Remegio, Cebu.Bantayan Town - Largest town on Bantayan Island, offering a single ATM for you to draw funds fromBiliran - off the north coast of Leyte. A single bridge links Biliran to Leyte.Naval - largest town on Biliran, located on the west side of the island.LeyteOrmoc City - West side of LeyteMaasin City - Southwest side of LeyteTacloban City - Capitol of Leyte.BoholTagbilaran City - Southwest side of BoholTubigon - West side of Bohol, regular trips to/from Cebu.Negros Oriental Dumaguete City - East side of Negros, and the Capitol of Negros Oriental. Many modern conveniences, including hospitals.Siquijor - 75 kilometers around the island. Regular boats to Dumaguete City.Siquijor - East of Negros OrientalCamiguin Island - 64 kilometers around the island.Mambajao - The capitol of Camiguin. offers a small airport with regular flights to Cebu.Benoni - offers a wharf which is the most common route (ferries) to Mindanao.Catarman - Small town on the southwest side of the island.Misamis OrientalCagayan de Oro - North side of MindanaoAgusan del NorteButuan City - North side of MindanoSurigao del NorteSurigao City - Northeast coast of MindanaoSurigao del SurTandag - Small town on the east coast of MindanaoDavao del NorteDavao City - South side of MindanaoLanao del NorteIligan City - Northwest side of MindanaoMisamis OccidentalOzamis City - Northwest side of MindanaoDepending on what you want, I would consider looking at any of the above cities and towns. The cities listed, will offer at least one mall, eating establishments, and other local entertainment. The towns will be limited in medical, and general big city conveniences.If you will let me know, I will be happy to secure additional information on any of the above. I have visited each and every one of these towns and cities at least once, but most of them numerous times over my years in the Philippines.Furthermore, I would consider living in any one of these locations, without a second thought.

• Like 1

cagayanstar
Posted
Posted

I have quite a number of expats friends here living in CDO and their most common reason why they stayed and love it here is the cost of living,it is quite cheaper compared to big cities like Cebu,Davao or Manila.And its not that big,not that small...average is the right term.CDO is the premier city of Mindanao,it is now a thriving education and business center,right now an on going construction of the soon-be highest hotel in CDO in Limketkai is progressing.This is the city of golden friendship so u can expect that people are friendly and accommodating. SugarwareZ-053.gif

• Like 1

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Well, as Cebu City is my home base I won't be able to be of much help other than saying Dumaguete struck me as very pleasant with a great layout and friendly expat community. Negros itself has some lovely beaches but some are hard to get to.My favourite in Palawan. Puerto Princessa is a very relaxed place with some great places to eat and the island has some of the most wonderful beaches and geological sites in the RP. It's developing fast but island plot can still be bought cheaply but better rush. The only draw back is it distance from the rest of the RP but flights are good.Those two stand out from my travels. Haven't been to CDO yet and looking forward to it when we do.

• Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Tks to those that replied so far. And Paul, I know you have a lot of knowledge about a lot of places. As far as what I want?? At this point to be honest, I don't really know anymore. I know here in the States I live in the country about 30min drive to the outskirts of San Antonio. I only go into town to work, buy food, and my bowling league once a week. I like the country life. Like a little space around me. Now in the PI, I have lived in very small towns such as when I was stationed in San Miguel about 30 mi north of Subic,or in LaUnion, and I have lived in larger cities, Cavite city where I went to Manila all the time, and also Angeles city which to me is not big, but bigger than a local barrio. I like the quiet life, but at the same time, I like some things only a larger city can provide. I do like a certain amount of expat community, the idea of a bowling ally, and golf course appeals to me. Sometimes, even hitting the bars, but don't know about that much anymore, as I can no longer drink due to medical reasons.BooHoo!!! but of course the bars is not all about the booze....Also like living very near the beach but only if it practical and not too expensive. If I had my choice right now, I would probably say a small town within 45 min of a city where the rent is cheap enough for a reasonable size house (100+sq/m) on a lot at least 1000 sq/mtrs within a kilometer of so of the beach. On the beach would be better. Rent under $400.00 a month would be nice.JimSo I guess I was just fishing for what other people see in where they live.

paul
Posted
Posted

Hi Jim,Okay, without putting much thought into this, I would immediately suggest the following:Live within 20 to 30 minutes of Dumaguete City, Cebu City, Davao City, or Cagayan de Oro City.Each of those cities would give you enough conveniences, I believe, to keep you happy. Dumaguete, hands down, would be the smallest of them. I believe the next would be CDO, then Davao, then Cebu, in terms of smaller to larger. Cebu is becoming a 24 hour city, as Manila has been for years.HTH

• Like 1

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
Hi Jim,Okay, without putting much thought into this, I would immediately suggest the following:Live within 20 to 30 minutes of Dumaguete City, Cebu City, Davao City, or Cagayan de Oro City.Each of those cities would give you enough conveniences, I believe, to keep you happy. Dumaguete, hands down, would be the smallest of them. I believe the next would be CDO, then Davao, then Cebu, in terms of smaller to larger. Cebu is becoming a 24 hour city, as Manila has been for years.HTH
tks, definately gives me some places to think about. Of course when I first return, I will come to Cebu, just so I can meet some of you guys and have multiple selections of places to stay for a couple months anyway. From there I will go check out some places..then make up my mind. Will return to the states, get what stuff together I want to bring/send and then make the move...Not in any real big hurry for all this to happen. After all I have waited 15 years to get back there, so don't want to rush things and end up in the wrong place if you know what I mean. Plus, I will probably go to AC and see if I still have any friends left there, and also up to LaUnion for a visit. I have lots of time to look around the first trip. Was suprised you did not have Bohol on your list, any reason??Jim

James
Posted
Posted

well I have a place in Pit-os, its an average 25 minutes from Cebu city on a sunday and around an hour on a school day. Its great, you need a good van to get around, and the place is rough at the edges but we live ina a sub division and it could not be closer to the local way without having to comprise my other choices in life.The house is set against the sub divisionw all and we are close to the gate and road, this means a little extra noise but it also means real life. Our outside neighbours include a church and a set of small stalls, I am okay now with the church as it has agreed to be a good neighbour and not play music so loud the speaker s squeek. The neighbours in the stalls have all had small loans at some point to extend their business so we can enjoy a positive relationship with them. The guy with the field behind our house is such a gentleman, I give him gifts when I arrive back from the UK, also old building blocks etc and have watched him use them to extend his operation. He in return removes all my garden waste and also provides me with fresh corn etc from the field. He also keeps the sub divisionw all free of clutter along the boundary between us and thats a great way to prevent anyone climbing. He is active in keeping people off the land and would ring my mother in law if anyone was seen inside during my absence.Across is a bar, it used to have singing into the whee hours, however I went to visit and pulled the plug, we had several diuscussions on my behaviour and we came to an agreement, no noise when I am home, make what you want when I am away. Suits me and suits the bar owner.Inside the sub division people leave me alone, I walk the place daily when there and speak to everyone, I am never bothered by the politics and remove myself from any involvement in politics. I pay an amount each year to have the front entrance cleaned and painted, hell it makes my place look better as well. I also enjoy sitting out and chatting to locals when home, they are very nice and stop to chat.The local way of life is very simple, yet they seem to accept my liking of afternoon tea etc and having my grass cut just right, in return I am a positive neighbour and also a good employer, I have a long term maid who is known to all and also a relative so a double bonus. I give away what I dont ened and keep myself to myself.I would highly recommend this way of life to anyone, the city is close by yet out of range in terms of smog and smell.James

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Tks James for the reply. The 20-30 min sounds good. All the years I lived in the PI, I always lived among the locals, or in an uncontrolled subdivision. I personally never had any problems. I also try to be a good neighbor, but a more invisable one than you seem to be. It worked for me. I know ultimately I will have to get there and look at a lot of places before making any kind of decision. I figure about 4-6 months on the ground just looking around. That will also give me some time to really figure out just how far off the beaten path I really want to live. Right now, I'm not sure. I know I do have a tendency to get bored after awhile which is how I sort of backdoored our way into a business here or there. I don't really want that to happen this time as I don't want to get involved in all the BS you have to deal with for businesses. This time it is really to "retire"...This time I am old enough and feel old enough to retire. Middle 40's was too young, still too much energy. Jim