Is Tipping 20% Too Much in the Philippines?

Mick
Posted
Posted
On 9/21/2018 at 9:07 AM, Seth said:

I've tipped 1,000 pesos for a 200 peso meal. No big deal. Easy come, easy go.

Just picked this up...... Really 1000 Peso on a 200 meal... ..... Seems it will be easy go for you, have your escape plan ready, and keep looking over your shoulder 

• Haha 1

Mick
Posted
Posted

I'm like most on here depends on my mood, if the bill is say 500 upwards, I would leave 100 peso if everything was good, below 500 to 300, 50 peso, if it's less than that, then only 20 peso, if service was shite.... Zero, Nada, zilch. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Mick said:

I'm like most on here depends on my mood, if the bill is say 500 upwards, I would leave 100 peso if everything was good, below 500 to 300, 50 peso, if it's less than that, then only 20 peso, if service was shite.... Zero, Nada, zilch. 

Great, things finally settle down and you open this ole chestnut again!!!! :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Just teasing :hystery:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, scott h said:

chestnut again!

There ya go again!  Tipping chestnuts while the rest of us poor folk are tipping peanuts. :hystery:

• Love it 2
  • Haha 2

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted

You need to tip relative to the service, that maybe zero or 20%, but make sure it is appropriate.

Waitresses earn around P450 a day and often have to pay for their own uniforms, they need tips to survive. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My suggestion, as a general policy, is to tip the minimum based on local custom. If you frequent the same restaurant or bar, than your tip should be a bit more generous. Why are you going to give a big amount when it is the first and last time you visit the establishment?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

There is a case going through the US court system on the issue of tipping. Some restaurant owners contend they have the right to distribute the money. In addition to service personnel, others like kitchen personnel, accounting department, etc. should receive a portion of tips -- to be determined by management. Labor unions contend the money belong to the wait staff who are permitted, under current law, to be paid less than the minimum wage The remainder of their salary is from tips.

graham59
Posted
Posted

Whatever coins are on the change tray.  10 or 20 pesos ?  They'll be happy with that.

If you want to throw your money around... 'up to you sir'.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

You need to tip relative to the service, that maybe zero or 20%, but make sure it is appropriate.

Waitresses earn around P450 a day and often have to pay for their own uniforms, they need tips to survive. 

So if you pay say 1000 for a meal and tip 20% then the waiter gets 200 but you never put it in perspective because as you said and depending where if the waiter gets 450 a day then your not far from giving a half days salary.

If your from the USA and eating out do you guys give around a half days salary to waiters? Put your thinking hats on!  By giving that amount these guys will become very rich if it happens several times a day so one needs to think local unless you are here for a 2 week play. 

:popcorn:

• Like 3

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

That's just what the salary is here though. My Brother in Law is a nurse and earns about 15k per month. I'd guess a waitress must serve atleast 30 people per day on average so even if people just tip them 20 pesos each time they're still earning more than a nurse. If everyone starts tipping 100 they'll probably earn more than a Doctor lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1