Is Tipping 20% Too Much in the Philippines?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, scott h said:

Why not? Being long married to a Filipina who lived in the states for a long time and has lots of relatives there. I can not count the number of times we went to a funeral home and sat for hours eating food and chatting about everything but the dead. Or went to a kids birthday party and, yep you guessed it, there it was, a videoke machine with the volume way to high.  I could go on and on :hystery:.

I just don't agree with the general idea of either importing or exporting cultures where they create expectations which don't apply to all i.e. foreigners are expected to tip here whilst locals less so. 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

i.e. foreigners are expected to tip here whilst locals less so. 

Ah! now that is the fault of the foreigner and his wallet, My wife never gave Tips before I came on the scene and even now she will always ask, Should we? the answer is always the same. Did you enjoy things enough to show Gratitude & I base the whole thing on this Was everything Good?

I am not tight wad but as we say about things like giving credit where it is due I feel Tips should be looked at in the same way :smile:

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:09 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes 20 peso seems like nothing to you but a lot to them. All they need now is about 20 more tips like that and they doubled their daily salary and are in the high earners bracket if working in a busy place.

You are right, but I dont see any problem if their salary is doubled after 20 tips like mine.

I dont mean tipping should be done automaticly but I dont mind doing it if I am happy with the service I get.

You are also right in that the willingness to tip, will probably be less, when living there fulltime instead of being there as a tourist, especially if you are on a tight budget.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Viking said:

You are right, but I dont see any problem if their salary is doubled after 20 tips like mine.

Problem is and this is why some Business owners do not like us to tip, is that the workers get richer and a little bit above themselves and can cause havoc among other staff and little spats start about who serves who even though they may have sets tables to serve.

It can also increase the turnover of Staff and word of mouth is strong here, Hey Go work so & so Tips are Great but the staff crap yet still, get Tips so are we now suggesting we just tip regardless :89:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

some Business owners do not like us to tip

old yankee saying "tough noogies"

27 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

are we now suggesting we just tip regardless

Nope, to each his own, most of us are here to enjoy our golden years. Another old yankee saying "if it feels good? do it" :SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, scott h said:

Nope, to each his own

My thoughts all the way through, Credit  Tips where there due/deserved :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, scott h said:

Another old yankee saying "if it feels good? do it"

Filipino saying:  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Another Filipino saying:  "Honey, if you have that much money to give to a waitress that you do not know then my family needs a new roof, and food, and motorbike etc and charity begins at home.  Another Filipino saying:  Our foreigners are too crazy leaving money for the waitress.  When he is not looking wife take money and put in pocket.

And one last saying from England, before the US parted ways:

If they pay a penie or two pence more for the reddinesse of them..let them looke to that, a foole and his money is soone parted.

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

my family needs

One brother lives in the Stats with his two daughters (nurses) the other is charge affairs at the Philippine embassy in Jordan, his two daughters live in Australia, her family is doing fine :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

foole and his money is soone parted.

That's ME!!!!!!:whistling:

• Haha 3

Kuya M
Posted
Posted

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
On 11/6/2018 at 1:28 AM, Viking said:

You are also right in that the willingness to tip, will probably be less, when living there fulltime instead of being there as a tourist, especially if you are on a tight budget.

Remember this post when living here while tourists come in, tip big, and the business owners start raising prices, then start automatically adding gratuities. Thanks for the extra inflation guys....

• Like 2
  • Love it 2