Is Tipping 20% Too Much in the Philippines?

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Everyone is entitled to tip whatever they want, but it's a little strange to try to import tipping customs from the USA to the Philippines.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

it's a little strange to try to import tipping customs from the USA to the Philippines.

Agreed.  And you can change "the USA" to any other country you like.  This is the Philippines.  It has its own customs.  We should learn them.

• Like 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

That's just what the salary is here though. My Brother in Law is a nurse and earns about 15k per month. I'd guess a waitress must serve atleast 30 people per day on average so even if people just tip them 20 pesos each time they're still earning more than a nurse. If everyone starts tipping 100 they'll probably earn more than a Doctor lol.

The problem is most of the punters are tight C>nts, so no way will they get P100 per punter.

My local a bucket on SML is P350 so I usually leave P400.

Comparisons with US, UK & Oz are irrelevant IMHO.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, LUFCinMakati said:

Comparisons with US, UK & Oz are irrelevant IMHO.

I think you are wrong because as I already said tipping is best adjusted to the salary structure of any country IMHO that one is tipping in. :smile:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I think you are wrong because as I already said tipping is best adjusted to the salary structure of any country IMHO that one is tipping in. :smile:

I agree and if we took another Topics view. some would be paying some hefty amount in Tipping @ 20% of a 1 mill incoming.  YES?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I was going to stay out of this latest round of the tipping controversy :hystery:.

Suffice it to say I don't think you commonwealth guys will ever understand how deeply ingrained tipping is to us Yanks. Its just the way we are made. We saw our fathers do it and our grandfathers do it. We have all been to a group meal and as folks are getting up everyone throws money in the middle of the table. On the other had we also use tipping to show dissatisfaction, like leaving the tip in the water glass, or leaving an absurdly low tip.

Now how do "I" translate my tipping to the Philippines. As someone noted above, we tend to go to the same restaurants all the time (the wife is not the adventurous type lol) and when we enter the joint smiles are abundant, service is great, and they know what we like and how we like to be treated. So I like to look at it as an investment.

As to the amount nowadays? Since my wife got her senior discount card, we usually just leave that amount (save me from doing higher math :571c66d400c8c_1(103):) so it really costs me nothing :thumbsup:

But the real bottom line here is, leaving a large tip make ME feel good and makes ME feel happy. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, scott h said:

So I like to look at it as an investment.

Reminds me of the Bill Gates restaurant thing.

Son leaves $500 tip, Bill Gates leaves $10. The waiter says Mr. Gates your son left $500 & you only left $10.  Mr Gates says yes but his father is a millionaire 

Mine was a woodcutter   :wink:

• Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, scott h said:

I was going to stay out of this latest round of the tipping controversy :hystery:.

Suffice it to say I don't think you commonwealth guys will ever understand how deeply ingrained tipping is to us Yanks. Its just the way we are made. We saw our fathers do it and our grandfathers do it. We have all been to a group meal and as folks are getting up everyone throws money in the middle of the table. On the other had we also use tipping to show dissatisfaction, like leaving the tip in the water glass, or leaving an absurdly low tip.

Now how do "I" translate my tipping to the Philippines. As someone noted above, we tend to go to the same restaurants all the time (the wife is not the adventurous type lol) and when we enter the joint smiles are abundant, service is great, and they know what we like and how we like to be treated. So I like to look at it as an investment.

As to the amount nowadays? Since my wife got her senior discount card, we usually just leave that amount (save me from doing higher math :571c66d400c8c_1(103):) so it really costs me nothing :thumbsup:

But the real bottom line here is, leaving a large tip make ME feel good and makes ME feel happy. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

After living in the US a couple of times, for 2 years each stint and the second time working in the hospitality industry, I can see how and why you do what you do Scott.  I tend to just follow the Short Angry One's lead on this front, and not matter how big the bill, it's never over 100PHP and that depends on the service provided.  But each to their own :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

leaving a large tip make ME feel good and makes ME feel happy

It's the American Way. Trickle-down economics.  I wonder if the waitresses fell trickled on or just plain tickled :hystery:  (Joke lang.  It's all good.)

• Haha 1

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

We will have to disagree on this one Mate, I think its more about the amount and the percentage, plus if there is a service charge.

Edited by LUFCinMakati