Naysayers...can't stand them.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I figured if it does not work out I can always go home... but at least I tried (so far it is working ok).  If never came here, I would be back in TX working on refrigerators. If I have to go back - I will be in TX working on refrigerators. With some good stories to tell. There is no downside to trying. :tiphat:

And that is exactly how I feel,if you never try you never know. aA couple of people in the UK said if you try for a year and it goes south at least you tried what have you to lose. 7 years and no plans to leave as yet.

• Like 5

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2018 at 4:59 AM, Balisidar said:

Anyways the total ignorance of the naysayers totally confounds me.  I wish these people could be more tolerant and supportive of my plans.  Sometimes I wonder if it's just jealousy that I'm getting out of the rat race that is America and they can't.  I don't really need their approval but coming from family especially makes it a bummer.😁

Has anyone else experienced people with attitudes like this?  

Six months in the Philippines and 8 months retired and yes I can completely relate. In my experience there were a few things going on.

Jealousy for sure. Not just jealousy about getting out of the rat race (because most don't even recognize the maze they are in) but jealousy because most of my friends dream of, but haven't prepared for, retirement. Just a couple more years of making money, they say - but that couple of years becomes a couple more, and then the wife wants a new house - and any retirement plan is over. The fact that you are doing it galls them, but secretly they are also envious.

Fear of the unknown is another issue. Your friends who cannot comprehend the concept of retirement, certainly are scared of retiring in an unknown place. And while they may be fine people, some actually are secretly hoping you fail. Why? Because if you succeed it breaks their view of how life is supposed to work, aka continuing the status quo and keeping your ass put .

And finally I found that co-workers who didn't know where or what the Philippines was suddenly knew with the election of Duterte and the negative press about him and the Philippines in general. 

I had and have one friend who constantly tried to ask Janet and I why we would want to move to the Philippines when we lived in such a fine place. Of course he is miserable in that fine place.

All this said - and I know it does come off as negative - most of our friends were genuinely excited for us and watch our adventures vicariously via Facebook. I'm sure when we come back for a visit this summer we will have stories to tell and lots of interested listeners.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

This has been one of the best threads that I have read so far on this forum.

It is yours so :thumbsup: Well done that man, We are sorting these naysayers one by one my friend

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, bastonjock said:

On a more humourous note , I've recently met a woman here in the UK , I took her out to dinner and as we chatted away she mentioned that her ex husband had gone out to the Philippines for a holiday 18 years ago and never came back  ,she then asked me if I had any holiday booked lol 

And what was your answer to this lady :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

It would be interesting to know what the 'return rate' for people moving to other countries is. We seem to have established that figure as 50% within 5 years (IIRC) for here.

We all have a vested interest in proving the Naysayers wrong, it would be good to have some numbers to back that up.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

It would be interesting to know what the 'return rate' for people moving to other countries is. We seem to have established that figure as 50% within 5 years (IIRC) for here.

We all have a vested interest in proving the Naysayers wrong, it would be good to have some numbers to back that up.

I think the problem is some don't like to admit it when things never worked out for them so figures will be about as accurate as a political poll. Also a lot are on tourist visas so can leave at the slightest opportunity and never return to forums like this.

A good example is probably to look at the relationships of the regular posters here. As a whole they tend to be quite happy with just the usual life moans. The less happy ones tend to be too busy drinking cheap beer first thing in the morning. Now where did I put that Red Horse? :whistling:

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

it would be good to have some numbers to back that up.

There are thousands of people on this very forum who have left and not come back.  Perhaps the owner of the forum would do a mass email to see if he gets replies from the people who are no longer here.  There can be many reasons to leave a forum but lack of interest in a place that you do not live in any more is certainly going to be near the top of the list.

• Like 5

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

A Filipino living here in the US was telling us how dangerous the Phils is. I told him to get a $100,000 life insurance policy on us and pay us $1,000 every year we survive. That shut him up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2