All you can eat buffet.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RubberChicken said:

Just speaking for me, rather go to a very good sit down restaurant and be served then spend P800+- on a buffet. As for the budget buffets, watch out,  if you couldn’t make the same amount of food at home for P299 then how does the buffet serve it and pay its expenses too? Do the research. It is not pretty.

As a former service manager at Orkin Commercial in San Diego I can tell you that the kitchens in most of the Chinese buffet places were so nasty that when we would shine our flashlights underneath the stoves we would have cockroaches and rats looking back at us. The exception was the Golden Corral buffet. Almost spotless. Imagine what the kitchens look like over her in the Phills without anyone checking on their cleanliness. I won't eat there even if it's free!!:facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• 4 months later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

L has taken me to Yakimix here in Davao a few times.

The food is pretty good with a wide selection. As others have observed, though, buffets can be rather noisy and some of the patrons can be a bit pushy. Sometimes they run out of the best things - like the bariles sashimi or sushi. They replenish, but it can take a while and then the trays are cleaned out before you go back later. They recently started to prepare cooked-to-order steaks but I have not been there to try them yet. One of the cool things there is that you can pick up a plate load (or plate loads) of some raw meats or seafoods and then cook them yourself at the table where each one has a built-in gas cooking plate. At least then you know those things are thoroughly cooked!

The dessert selection is actually pretty awesome. I don't remember the price, but just that it was reasonable - less than 800/person. Even though it has a Japanese name, the food choice is international - at least SE Asian. No included beers that I saw. Free birthday dinners. I just find it is way too loud for me and I get a bit irritated with some of the piggish customers - mostly already very fat! And like most others here, I have a tough time eating more than a medium filled plate or two...

By the way... have any of you noticed that at these buffets, many locals will fill their plates with the rice or pasta and then just add rather small quantities of the expensive foods? I never figured that out...why?

Edited by Tommy T.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

By the way... have any of you noticed that at these buffets, many locals will fill their plates with the rice or pasta and then just add rather small quantities of the expensive foods? I never figured that out...why?

Edited by Tommy T.

Probably the way they were brought up as kids. Rice was cheap. Meat was not. Adobo is made in such a way that you only need a small amount of it to make the rice taste good.:smile: 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Agreed... And if the adobo is not made right you might need a lot of rice to cut it to get it down!

It's just amazing to see people stuff themselves with the rice and just have little tastes of the expensive stuff... Filipinos want as much value as they can get - I know and see that much. And L agrees with me - she doesn't eat so much rice anymore and does go for the protein. I say this very cautiously, but I believe I am westernizing her a bit...but, from what she and her family tell me, she was always a bit of a renegade in the family and I am very delighted about that! She likes steak or roast beef that is red inside and not cooked to the consistency of shoe leather.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

L has taken me to Yakimix here in Davao a few times.

The food is pretty good with a wide selection. As others have observed, though, buffets can be rather noisy and some of the patrons can be a bit pushy. Sometimes they run out of the best things - like the bariles sashimi or sushi. They replenish, but it can take a while and then the trays are cleaned out before you go back later. They recently started to prepare cooked-to-order steaks but I have not been there to try them yet. One of the cool things there is that you can pick up a plate load (or plate loads) of some raw meats or seafoods and then cook them yourself at the table where each one has a built-in gas cooking plate. At least then you know those things are thoroughly cooked!

The dessert selection is actually pretty awesome. I don't remember the price, but just that it was reasonable - less than 800/person. Even though it has a Japanese name, the food choice is international - at least SE Asian. No included beers that I saw. Free birthday dinners. I just find it is way too loud for me and I get a bit irritated with some of the piggish customers - mostly already very fat! And like most others here, I have a tough time eating more than a medium filled plate or two...

Don't want to pop anyone's bubble but I would never eat at one of those buffet places. I've seen the kitchens of the buffet places in California that advertise Chinese or whatever food. The rats and the cockroaches own the place at night. But go ahead and enjoy your meal!:santa_smiley:

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I understand and believe you, AK. But then I have seen one rat running around at the closest SM store to me here, another at the S & R main store and also a few times in regular restaurants. I believe they are endemic here, sadly. And the cockroaches? I have not seen them, surprisingly. But I know they are there, lurking... 

I really do cook most of our meals at home. At least there are no rats in the apartment, nor cockroaches - just those damn sugar ants from time to time and I go after them with a vengeance because their bites really sting and itch and last a while...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Maybe the locals know which food is freshly made and not as likely to make them sick. :whistling:

My experience with an all you can eat can be found on page 1 of this thread.  I won't repeat it here except to say it was NOT PRETTY. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks, Mike, for not bringing it up again...:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Thanks, Mike, for not bringing it up again...

Now Tom that is a real PUN, I wonder if you realised that LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Now Tom that is a real PUN, I wonder if you realised that LOL

Who me?:whistling: