Philippine Driving License on a Tourist Visa.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, intrepid said:

No

So in reality. most people wouldn't need such a permit to drive here in the Philippines? 

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

So in reality. most people wouldn't need such a permit to drive here in the Philippines? 

Correct.  As Jack stated above, only if they come from a country where the license is not in English. 

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, intrepid said:

Correct.  As Jack stated above, only if they come from a country where the license is not in English. 

Actually, I was just about to correct my post - there are actually more Chinese in the Philippines than any other nationality.  

Joey G
Posted
Posted

To ride a motorcycle (over 50cc) in the US you need an additional class added to your drivers license (i.e. Class M).  Does the PI have a similar requirement? 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I suggest a few people need to google IDP and Philippines, crazy I know, but hay it's the Philippines.

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I did just that... first thing (actually first 4 things) that popped up was "International Development Program"... but yeah, a little further down the International Driver Permit info showed up :)  Good info... so for a USA person... $20 and some pic's (send it to AAA) will get you an IDP to drive whatever your current USA license says in like 116 other countries. Good for one year. Funny part was... if one comes to the USA... it depends on the state (states issue licenses here)... so reciprocity can be complicated. 

OK... got that box checked... now I wonder how auto insurance works... in the USA most every state requires some liability coverage, with a stiff penalty if you let lapse.... does the PI have a similar law? 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Joey G said:

To ride a motorcycle (over 50cc) in the US you need an additional class added to your drivers license (i.e. Class M).  Does the PI have a similar requirement? 

Any motorcycle regardless of size ( not Electric at this time) Class 1 Motorcycle and Class 2 Car to 4000 kg Then on to class 3 ( professional) then come the restrictions, Glasses needed, limb missing ETC, I hear they are mooting a class for Automatics as class 2 gives any car at present:smile:

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I need a license to drive in the Philippines! :shock_40_anim_gif:

I would never drive in that chaos willingly!

Then, last year, I was told the whole clan was going to spend a weekend at a beach a couple of hours away.

They rented a big van.

Great!

When I showed up I asked who the driver was.

They handed me the keys. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ok, I'm going to be a dummy here and ask what happened to proving you will be in the Philippines for minimum 1 year to get a Filipino drivers license?  Sure, on a tourist visa you can drive for s short time on your license from your home country but after that?  I sent a request to LTO a couple months ago to find out if this had changed but...  Yeah...  No reply....