ShippingCart.com

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I love reading but the range in the National Bookstore isn't huge so I have Kindle unlimited and I read using a Kindle or my iPad.

Might be worth considering if the freight isn't free to the Philippines?

Haven't tried Kindle and don't' own an IPad. Is the reading experience just as good? I.E. Laying in bed while you're reading? :huh:

roddavis
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Haven't tried Kindle and don't' own an IPad. Is the reading experience just as good? I.E. Laying in bed while you're reading? :huh:

You don't even need anything fancy! I have an old  Samsung tablet. It is the best in reading experiences, bed, bathroom whatever. You can change the font size larger with my ageing eyes love. It holds your last page read even if you power off. I keep a library of 10-15 novels that I enjoy. Just look for novels in the .epub format(electronic publication). Using an ereader app is all you need. There are many places to download for free if you know where to look.

Much cheaper than trying to find paperbacks or order while here in PI! Cusslar fan thru and thru!:wait_80_anim_gif:

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I don't think reading on an iPad is as good of an experience lying in bed (they're the wrong size and a bit too heavy for comfort but they're ok in a supporting case on a desk).  There are several kindles, not just one model.  Kindles use a different type of screen to ipads and phones, they're lit up like a TV.  A kindle screen reflects existing light like a book which a lot of people find less tiring for your eyes.

But here's the issue, if you're going to read in bed then you're bedroom light probably isn't going to be bright enough (mine isn't) so you either need a bedside lamp (a fairly bright one) or you need to buy a kindle with a back light.

There are basically 3 current models of Kindles -: 

'All new kindle with backlight' (which is the same as mine) - that's the cheapest one, it's fine for reading day or night but you can if you look close and shrink the text size too much the letters get blocky (doesn't bother me because my eyes aren't 20 years old).

'Kindle Paperwhite' this one has a higher definition screen (like HD on a TV instead of SD) and the backlight and test looks a little bit smoother (it's subtle but you can see it when the cheaper one and this one are side by side).  It's also got twice the storage of the cheaper one (I never filled mine, that would take about 1500 books but if you like audio books the extra storage is useful.  They also sell an optional 32Gb version which is way more than you'll EVER need).  More importantly this one is water proof so you can take it to the pool or the beach and not worry about it getting wet or splashed (no don't go swimming with it).

Then there is the 'Kindle Oasis', I don't really see the point of this one, it's almost twice the price of the Paperwhite and it looks a bit strange because it's got a big panel to the right and the screen is offset.  When it was released it was the only version with the high definition screen but now... pass.

Also... Amazon still sell some earlier versions (a non waterproof paperwhite with high res screen) and a non backlit 'kindle' but honestly I'd buy a current generation version.

As for reading...  it takes a little getting used to but with Kindle unlimited and tens of thousands of books that you can borrow (up to 10 at a time) and buy prices that are LOTS less than the paper versions I find myself reading much more than I ever did when I only read paper books.  And... I still read paper books... but only about 1 in 10 is on paper these days and mostly ones that aren't available on Amazon.  You don't have to subscribe to kindle unlimited but if you don't then you can only download a sample, if you want to read a book without Kindle unlimited then you have to buy it.  NB most books on Amazon are under 'unlimited' but there are still a lot that aren't.

Ummm that's about all I can think of right now.

*edit* you can also read free books on the kindle, you convert them to a compatible format (like ePub mentioned above) and then email them to your kindle email and they go to your kindle library.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

Ummm that's about all I can think of right now.

Can't you put it up on a monitor or Smart TV screen, Like watching a Movie?

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

Iv'e had a Kindle Fire HD for a few years now which also has a brouser. I also have a kindle app on my android phone so I just use my phone at work and in bed. The book keeps its place on both devices so swapping is seamless.

Edited by Gary D

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Can't you put it up on a monitor or Smart TV screen, Like watching a Movie?

I think that that might be more like reading a movie!:biggrin:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

I think that that might be more like reading a movie!:biggrin:

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg win some, :smile: lose some  :huh:

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg win some, :smile: lose some  :huh:

:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 3/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, Billoncho said:

I order books with free shipping from England to Taiwan. Hope it will work when I get to the PI. It's called Book Depository. I've ordered from the for over 5 years without a problem.  
https://www.bookdepository.com/

If it's anything like stuff from Amazon etc Philpost will still stiff you for their 115php per package or whatever it is these days.  Still, a good deal.  

Billoncho
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

If it's anything like stuff from Amazon etc Philpost will still stiff you for their 115php per package or whatever it is these days.  Still, a good deal.  

We'll be moving to the PI either this fall or next and I'll find out with our first order. No extra charge in Taiwan except iHerb if you order over $2,000 NT.

• Thanks 1