No water again !

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Not only are Canadians more polite, but they consume less water than their neighbor. US water consumption per person per day is between 80 to 100 gallons.  I believe it is the highest in the world.  

12 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I used a water tank in Canada for many years and found that a family of 4 used 100 gallons of water per day on average, without too much skimping and not including washing the car or watering the lawn.  A 1500 gallon tank required the water truck to come by every 2 weeks.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Mike J said:
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

If the platform is sufficiently high, you don't need a water pump for pressure

But you may need a pump to get water up to the tank if there is not sufficient pressure from the source.  Not uncommon if the user requirements have outgrown the water supply infrastructure.

I forgot that in some municipalities the water pressure is so low you need a pump. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

US water consumption per person per day is between 80 to 100 gallons.

Keep in mind that I was only talking about potable household use water.

If a person wants to water the lawn, wash the car, hose down the sidewalk and other high water use activities then he would use more.  When I lived in Biliran, we had a 1500 gallon tank that would last a week for a family of 3, plus maid, yaya, and gardener, using all the water we wanted indiscriminately.  So even then it did not come close to 100 gallons per person per day.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

100 gallons

Is that a US gallon because that is smaller than a UK gallon.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are very careful about our water consumption. Our motorhome has a 100 liters capacity (Canadian built so it's metric) water tank for toilet, dish washing, etc. The tank last four days. We use one gallon drinking water per day for cooking, brushing teeth and coffee. The RV parks have showers and laundry machines.

In the Philippines, I monitored our water consumption. The average was less than 25 gallons per person per day.  

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

100 gallons

Is that a US gallon because that is smaller than a UK gallon.

United States gallon. Imperial liquid gallon is equal to 1.2 US liquid gallon.

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

We have an elevated water tank for back-up on no water times, and it has made all the difference comfort wise. We have good water pressure so a pump is not necessary. There are just two of us living here though, and water isn't out very often--mostly after a big storm when the main water pump gets mud in it and has to be cleaned.  I was in agreement when I asked some relatives if they would rather have no water or no electric, and they said they'd prefer to have the water flowing than the electric.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

I was in agreement when I asked some relatives if they would rather have no water or no electric, and they said they'd prefer to have the water flowing than the electric.

I hadn't really thought about it before but after thinking a bit I find myself agreeing with you.

Cooking is done on gas, the refrigerator will stay cold for quite a while (and mostly has water and soda in it anyway) and I'd much rather be able to have a cool shower than have power.

*edit*  I just realized I'd have to use the downstairs CR instead of the ensuite CR on the second floor because without power the pump wouldn't work and without the pump there isn't enough pressure to get water up to the second floor.  But still... I'd rather have a cool shower (down stairs) than power :867:

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I hadn't really thought about it before but after thinking a bit I find myself agreeing with you.

Cooking is done on gas, the refrigerator will stay cold for quite a while (and mostly has water and soda in it anyway) and I'd much rather be able to have a cool shower than have power.

*edit*  I just realized I'd have to use the downstairs CR instead of the ensuite CR on the second floor because without power the pump wouldn't work and without the pump there isn't enough pressure to get water up to the second floor.  But still... I'd rather have a cool shower (down stairs) than power :867:

I'm firmly in  the power above water camp, but where we are we have a very stable water supply - I cannot recall not having water except for the quarterly cleaning which happens overnight.  

I hate cold showers more than almost anything in life! 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I hate cold showers more than almost anything in life! 

I hate cold showers in winter in southern Australia (where it gets down to -4C or less sometimes) but in the Philippines where it's warm I find ambient temperature water is refreshing and seldom want a heated shower.

• Like 1