No water again !

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Ive just forked out to have a watersupply installed,  they have run 1.2 kilometres of 2 inch pipe from a mountain spring on to her/my farm 

The outlay is costing 105k but its  unlimited fresh water , hope there's no drought

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bastonjock said:

unlimited fresh water

Until the locals all along that 1.2 km line start tapping into it to get their own "unlimited fresh water". :hystery:   Will that happen?  50/50 chance unless the line is buried and you are extremely vigilant and it depends on the character of the people living in your area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I hate cold showers in winter in southern Australia (where it gets down to -4C or less sometimes) but in the Philippines where it's warm I find ambient temperature water is refreshing and seldom want a heated shower.

If the water supply was cool rather than cold I'd be OK, but most of the time it's pretty cold. I just hate cold showers.  

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Until the locals all along that 1.2 km line start tapping into it to get their own "unlimited fresh water". :hystery:   Will that happen?  50/50 chance unless the line is buried and you are extremely vigilant and it depends on the character of the people living in your area.

Burying the pipe may cause a new problem :ohmy: We had a similar set up a number of years ago and there was no problem with the land owners or the people living in the area. The problems arose if the pipe burst. We knew there was a leak, however the land it past through was full of coconuts, bananas and grass making it very difficult to pinpoint. Sometimes we would wait days until the area around the leak became saturated.

Thankfully around ten years ago a new mains pipe was installed and we now have water 24/7. I live about 20 miles South of expatuk and he is more than welcome to run a pipe from our house!

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gas said:

Burying the pipe may cause a new problem

Yes, another problem I had forgotten was a tree growing up under the line.  The roots were under the line and over a period of 10 years the tree and root grew so much that the plastic pipe stretched, bent and then kinked, reducing the pressure to almost nil.  It was fixable though.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

All this talk of usage per day made me look at mine.  If you recall, I posted about a water leak we have.  In the 12 months prior to the leak, we averaged about 216 gallons a day for a family of 5, not including most yard watering. 

In the 3 recent months, we have control of the water leak (have not made repairs yet) by shutting off a valve that feeds the leak area of the pipes (maids room, dirty kitchen and master CR) when we don't need them.  A bit of a pain but ok for now.  During these months, we are averaging about 264 gallons a day.  It could be lower but once in a while we forget to shut the valve and the leaks uses a lot.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

During these months, we are averaging about 264 gallons a day. 

I get billed every month by the cubic meters used.  It is never more than 10 cubic meters for the month (for the 2 of us) and this month it is 7.5 cubic meters.

In US gallons that is 2,000 gallons for 30 days.  Shows to go you that some of use way more water than others so its another YMMV thing.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I get billed every month by the cubic meters used.  It is never more than 10 cubic meters for the month (for the 2 of us) and this month it is 7.5 cubic meters.

In US gallons that is 2,000 gallons for 30 days.  Shows to go you that some of use way more water than others so its another YMMV thing.

Yes, same here, cubic meters.  We used to average 25 a month and now over 30 with managing the leak.  What I forgot to mention is that maybe we already had a smaller leak(s) that were contributing to higher usage before the big leak hit us.  Some of my neighbors have said these old houses have a lot of leaks.

Capa
Posted
Posted
On 9/9/2018 at 5:21 PM, expatuk2014 said:

Being used to having water on tap it gets annoying when every weekend for weeks now every saturday the water is turned off, and this weekend its both saturday and sunday ! On the water company website their excuse HIGH WATER TURBILITY FROM OUR SOURCE !  And it brags about having built 2 new resevoirs in the area to boost reliablility !

Looks like we are going to buy a water tank and electric pump !

Live in a condo. You cannot have water shut-offs because you would affect thousands of people at a time!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Capa said:

Live in a condo. You cannot have water shut-offs because you would affect thousands of people at a time!

Not exactly true. What happens if the main out in the street bursts? They have to shut it off to fix it dont they?