Are You Rich?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

You may have mistaken who actually showed up. Maybe the mayor or vice mayor. For an actual Provincial Governor to show up you need to have some serious connections. Or your wife's family is related somehow. :89:

It was Ding Roman at the time govener of Bataan. Had a couple of heavies with bulging breast pockets along for a bit of lichon. He had been opening a new bridge in the barangy and popped in for a snack.

• 3 months later...
loveiloilo
Posted
Posted
On 1/31/2019 at 3:55 PM, Onemore52 said:

Then when that run out they left, taking with them the food that was left over.

These people never cease to amaze me.

The majority of the members on this forum are dating or married to woman who come from poor families, lower middle class at best. Upper class and rich Filipinos don't act this way.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, loveiloilo said:

lower middle class at best. Upper class and rich Filipinos don't act this way.

Sorry matey But they Do & in many cases they are the worst, that is how they get to keep what they have :shades: You assume to much  when you talk about the majority of members  :ohmy: BTW  You can always tell the so called rich Local, they never leave a Tip in the Restaurant :wink:

Edited by Jack Peterson
little correction
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, loveiloilo said:

Upper class and rich Filipinos don't act this way.

From what I have seen, you are correct provided you are thinking fo the extreme upper class and rich.  But that kind of person also has their nose in the air and does not marry a foreigner.  Racism is alive and well in the upper crust, IMHO.

That said, there are Filipinas who come from middle-upper-class families and are a lot richer than many of us here on this forum and, to agree with Jack:

45 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

they Do & in many cases they are the worst

• Thanks 1

RubberChicken
Posted
Posted

I felt better about myself cutting out all the nonsense. They have a way of justifying taking by using the “he’s a rich foreigner he can afford it ” excuse, forget learning about me or my families life and struggles. That is the entire relationship. 

I put a big giant  ✖️ on the situation. Many of us have done a lot and struggled a lot and what we have is a blessing. I am only “rich” prior to expenses here and abroad.

I sometimes struggle too but once I learned my struggles had no meaning to the  mostly parochial and xenophobic locals I just bring a cake etc. No flash. They were ugly about it but gave up.

What was happening before was we never did enough and their was always some rumor of how a nearby phantom foreigner was much better to his family then us. They are crazy here. So am I rich? Got like P17K budgeted for family next 10 days so I guess it depends on how you define rich! 

Lastly, I love it here and the people are very nice to deal with. I enjoy it. It is just being “rich”, and anything to do with false expectations about rich foreigners and money and real estate, in general, scrambles their brains. I seriously believe that. It is like they take an ugly pill but otherwise are wonderful!

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

From what I have seen, you are correct provided you are thinking fo the extreme upper class and rich.  But that kind of person also has their nose in the air and does not marry a foreigner.  Racism is alive and well in the upper crust, IMHO.

Ah Dave this is it, we don't really rub shoulders with these people so we can't really see what is what BUT There are those that can tell an interesting Story about the way they live their lives, they are called Staff and I have come across 2/3 that can tell many good stories of the time they were employed by these high and Mighty people and it is not all pretty talk, ( just as an instance. Manners of Pigs was one Quote)

It can go on forever but Money doesn't make them any better than anyone else, it can just make a problem go away. As the saying goes "Birds of a feather stick together"  One maid we met at a Birthday party told us Squabble Ha, they will squabble as much as any family and  The Children Well? Nuff said I think because  I am sure None of us can say we know because we don't And if people can say they Rub shoulders with the Top end? what are they doing here on PEF with us mere Poor Mortals:wink: 

Jack:whistling:

Morning All :photo-109:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

And if people can say they Rub shoulders with the Top end? what are they doing here on PEF with us mere Poor Mortals

Getting a ride in their car or on the plane with them :hystery::whistling:

Some/many of us have been with girls who have family members in high and might positions.  In rare instances, the high and mighty will acknowledge the poor relation.  I suspect it is usually out of curiosity to see who the foreigner is that their poor relation is with.  When this happens they are on their best behavior and trying to show how important they are.  So we do not get to see what they are like at home.  Their maids can tell a more intimate story and a couple of my exes have been maids to some of the high and mighty.  it is not usually a nice story.

• Love it 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I went on a 3 month vacation to the Phills in between jobs with my first filipina wife years ago. She was from a very poor family. We rented a house for the 3 months and got a housekeeper. She started treating the housekeeper like a slave, expecting her to work long hours and even making her coffee. This went on for about a week before I put a stop to it. Wasn't married to her very long. I was really taken aback by how someone who grew up poor, and then came into some money could treat her that way.:sad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2019 at 5:25 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Racism might be a reason, but not in all cases.  When I announced to the family that I was marrying an American, my father's concern was my not returning home because my wife would want us to remain in the United States.  It may shock some forum members, but not all Filipinos dream about getting a US permanent resident visa.  

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

not all Filipinos dream about getting a US permanent resident visa.  

It doesn't surprise me but then SWMBO has zero desire to live in Australia, in fact she doesn't even like Manila much because her first language is Bisaya (she'd consider Cebu area if I needed it for medical reasons but that'd be as far as she'd want to move.  She likes being close to her family, and honestly... so do I most of the time).

Edited by GeoffH