Moving to the Philippines? Do you think that's safe?

Clermont
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I give school supplies they always need them.

I'll chuck in a little jest here: I can remember sixty odd years ago when it came to Christmas, birthday time and the relies would rock up with your present, sure as eggs it would be clothing or like you said something for school. Money was tight back then and to me a kid, these weren't presents, just something new. An old uncle hand carved a little car for me and I only just recently lost it, that was a present in my young eyes.

I'd deliberately left out schooling needs as the post mentioned he wanted to be a good citizen and after your post it prompted me to thinking, he could always make a donation of books or writing material to the school for the ones that haven't got any, their in the know. A present is a present, no strings attached, ha ha. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

graham59
Posted
Posted

Don't know why I wasted my time carving a pair of shoes for the Mrs last birthday.  :sad:

• Haha 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

Having recently had our rental house broken into, I would still say I feel relatively safe here. After all I got robbed several times over a 40+ year period in the US.

That said there are still cultural difference even when it comes to burglary, and huge differences when it comes to how to best protect yourself and property. In the US the mantra is to have guns (and no I'm not encouraging on argument on that subject). In the Philippines it's walls, dogs, and CCTVs

• Like 3

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, boyee said:

I recently told a very close friend of mine that my wife and I bought a farm in the Philippines and are making arrangements to move in a few years.  

What Province or Town is The Farm?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

A lot of good advice has been given here boyee,

It's a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't,  as already stated keep a low profile, suss out the lie of the land before you start to show generosity.

As for safety in Philippines, once again I have woken up to news of yet another fatal stabbing in London this morning, however this is now something mirrored across the UK much more often these days!

Shortly to visit PI again later this month, I would now have to say, I will feel no more unsafe there than walking the streets of the UK, especially of night-time. As you said yourself there is a difference between visiting for a short time and living there permanently, so take the advice given. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

boyee
Posted
Posted

Hi Rooster, the farm is in Cavite.    About 10 min drive from Tagaytay.  It's away from the local barangay.  Very rural and not a lot of through traffic.  There is electricity and water a few blocks away and we will have to pay to extend it to the land when we build.  

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, boyee said:

Hi Rooster, the farm is in Cavite.    About 10 min drive from Tagaytay.  It's away from the local barangay.  Very rural and not a lot of through traffic.  There is electricity and water a few blocks away and we will have to pay to extend it to the land when we build.  

I've just gone through all of that , I'll be over in a few weeks to check it all out  , mine is in mindanao

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Clermont said:

I'll chuck in a little jest here: I can remember sixty odd years ago when it came to Christmas, birthday time and the relies would rock up with your present, sure as eggs it would be clothing or like you said something for school. Money was tight back then and to me a kid, these weren't presents, just something new. An old uncle hand carved a little car for me and I only just recently lost it, that was a present in my young eyes.

I'd deliberately left out schooling needs as the post mentioned he wanted to be a good citizen and after your post it prompted me to thinking, he could always make a donation of books or writing material to the school for the ones that haven't got any, their in the know. A present is a present, no strings attached, ha ha. :thumbsup:

I would say that giving school supplies is the least offensive way of helping.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I would say that giving school supplies is the least offensive way of helping.

And the teachers could make a bit of extra money seller it to the kids.

• Haha 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

And the teachers could make a bit of extra money seller it to the kids.

Naughty boy.....:smile:

Two of my wife's family are teachers and I know that there is a genuine shortage of school paraphernalia.

Also some children walk long distances to school with nothing to eat for lunch, so lets count our blessings and spare a few peso's for the less fortunate. :thumbsup:

Edited by Kuya John
strange paragraphing
  • Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1