Moving to the Philippines? Do you think that's safe?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, boyee said:

I don't think people realize how dangerous the western civilization are.

I think you're generalizing about 'western civilization' from your personal experience of it.

There are western countries (and some non-western ones) that have significantly lower violent death rates than the United States (I'm not having a go at the USA, just quoting statistics).

The USA is sitting at 5.35 and New Zealand and Australia are a little under 1 but Singapore (which is an Asian country is only about 1/3rd of the Australian/New Zealand rate at 0.32), the Philippines OTOH is a bit over 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

• Like 2

boyee
Posted
Posted

yes you are right

3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I think you're generalizing about 'western civilization' from your personal experience of it.

yes, you are correct.  The US is much more dangerous than other western countries and I do live in a major city where guns are very common.  I think my point is my family in the PH don't know anyone personally who murdered their parents with his bare hands over a political argument.  Because its freaking crazy!  They think America is safer based on what they see in the news in Ph.  I know how violent America is because I've lived it and personally have known people who live it.  None of my personal experiences were ever reported on the news though so the perception that America is safe is unrealistic.  

Although I am surprised by your statistic above.  America has 5 murders out of 100,000 and PH has 11 out of 100,000?  I was not aware of that.  Wow, twice the amount murders per capita.  hmm...

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, boyee said:

think my point is my family in the PH don't know anyone personally who murdered their parents with his bare hands over a political argument.  Because its freaking crazy!

There is a lot of stuff that goes on everywhere. I seen on video in the Philippines, a father take his about 3 year old kid. Was standing on a bus shelter or something and threw him on to the concrete killing him. I have see a few hostage taking dramas where a guy with a knife or gun takes a girl hostage on the street for whatever reason but these things happen everywhere. The westerners who get killed in the Philippines either were in the wrong place or cheesed someone off they shouldn't have. Rubbed the wrong people the wrong way or did not know when to keep their mouth shut.

• Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I know you guys will think I'm crazy but  our back door is never closed at night. The screen door is not even locked. We live in an older house with a large yard and 5 dogs that bark at the slightest sound. It's an older subdivision and very serine at night. I keep a loaded 45 that my gf owns in the closet next to the bed. The closet is locked during the day. 

Been living in this house going on 11 years now without locking up at night. The Barangay watchmen walk around at night and we've never heard of a house break in or robbery at all.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

In the west, if there is a crime going on in your urban backyard it is dangerous so who do you call?  I am betting you call the police and I bet they come.  I am betting if it happened in the Philippines you would be hard pressed to find a number for the police that someone would answer and if you did get hold of someone they will often have an excuse why they cannot come.  Such was my experience, your mileage will vary.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

cannot come.

Wouldn't matter anyway Dave. There is a face book post (our Barangay has one) of two watch men chasing a young man with night sticks out. The kid being chased stopped, picked up a cinder block, threw it at the tanod, the tanod dropped his stick, the kid picked it up and chased the tanod all the way down the street. :facepalm_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am betting if it happened in the Philippines you would be hard pressed to find a number for the police that someone would answer and if you did get hold of someone they will often have an excuse why they cannot come. 

I would call the cousin who is a Police Officer...

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am betting if it happened in the Philippines you would be hard pressed to find a number for the police that someone would answer

But I thought the 911 system is nationwide now? 

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/996562/911-is-now-ph-emergency-hotline-number

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I know you guys will think I'm crazy but 

:89: NAH! not crazy for having Ideals BUT Crazy to admit and announce things on an Open Forum:whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, boyee said:

I don't think people realize how dangerous the western civilization are.  My daughter was taking Karate lessons for years.  There was a boy who was about 15 who was the instructors aid.  We've known him for years and many times he taught the classes.  One day he got in an argument with his mother about some political issue.  I think it was during the 99% wealth inequality demonstrations we were having here in the states. Anyway he disagreed with his mom so he used his Karate against her and killed her with his bare hands.  Then he waited for his dad to get home and strangled him to death with his bare hands.  He put his dead parents in the trunk of his car and sat on the trunk all day.  I happen to know his neighbor who asked him what he was doing and he told her.  She obviously didn't believe him and went about her day.  This kid went about his day too.  Went to school, then went to help teach Karate, then went home as though nothing had happened.  It was days before the bodies were discovered.  My point with this horrible story is that I only know because the Karate teach and his neighbor told me.  It never even made the local paper more or less the TV.  This shit happens all the time in the US.  It happens to our neighbors or the local Karate school and we would never be the wiser.  

If this happened in the Philippines we would all say what a dangerous place the Philippines is.  The reality is America is ridiculously violent and dangerous and yet it appears to be clean, modern and safe.  The PH may look third world but I don't think this type of violence is as common.  Safety is relative to our  knowledge of what happens around us.  

A question to ask, if you can get the answer, is how many and what prescription meds he was or had been taking. Some of the meds they prescribe to children now can contribute to violent behaviour. Many of the HS students and young adults involved in killings were on or had been on some sort of mind adjusting prescription med.

• Sad 1