The Car Service!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

have you found a place that can mend tubeless?

Roberts near the airport.

1.  Remove tire from car.

2. Catch tricycle to Roberts with tire

3.  They put air in it and say:  Nothing wrong with that.  Someone played a trick on you and let the air out while you were in the restaurant,

4.  Bring tire back to car and put back on.

5.  Look for spare

6.  Still looking, but not nearly hard enough.

:bonk:

• Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I have just had a new tubeless tyre fitted.Steel belt, 165/65/13 I also had a new valve fitted and the front wheel tube repaired.Total bill 1910 peso. Dave was right on the nail with his costing.

When I first left school I worked at a tyre fitting shop and back then the valve would be 1 GBP and the repair would have been 5GBP.The repair and valve were 40 peso each and 50 peso tyre service ,whatever that is for I have no idea. When a customer would come in with a tyre which had a puncture in the side wall(which was illegal to repair) we would put in a tube which would save them some money and get the full life out of the tyre.So putting a tube into a tubeless tyre is not a new thing and when you have no other choice is a good way to get out of the fix you are in.

I got this done on the south road here in Dumaguete at a place called Roberts just after the shell gas station.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So much for Jack's original topic!

I had my tubeless with the screw in it repaired at Yokohama.  He took the tire off the rim and put some kind of patch on the inside.  p120 + p20 tip for the young man.

Going back to Yoko in the morning for periodic service on my Trailblazer + 2 new tires.  I bought 2 of their Yokohama Geolanders about 20,000 km back, to replace the BF Goodrich OEM tires.  The dealer did not rotate the tires as specified and they wore badly in the front.  The two BF on the rear are ready to be replaced now at 64,000 km.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

So much for Jack's original topic!

I see your point but like so many topics it progresses but on the whole this is still on topic getting anything replaced or repaired is a service to your car maybe not in the sense we use it but the information here is still very useful. One example I can give is that Dave said how much tyres cost so when I went to that place this morning I knew I was not getting ripped off and so saved myself the time of running getting quotes.

• Love it 2

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)

I found this on the internert

Here's an answer from someone who has been a Technical Field Engineer for Bridgestone Corporation for 28 years!

1. Tubeless tires are completely different from tube type tires in that they have an air tight inner liner.
  2. Therefore, if you put a tube inside a tubeless tire you are adding another unnecessary layer within the tire assembly. This added layer will increase heat inside the tire assembly as it will chafe against the inside of the tire as the tire runs.
  3. The ideal corrective action after a tire puncture is to repair the tire professionally, after disassembly, and continue to use it as a tubeless tire. The correct action after a tire puncture is NEVER to put a tube inside the tire alone. The puncture could lead to a separation within the tire, which could lead to a catastrophic event.
Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

I found this on the internert

Here's an answer from someone who has been a Technical Field Engineer for Bridgestone Corporation for 28 years!

1. Tubeless tires are completely different from tube type tires in that they have an air tight inner liner.
  2. Therefore, if you put a tube inside a tubeless tire you are adding another unnecessary layer within the tire assembly. This added layer will increase heat inside the tire assembly as it will chafe against the inside of the tire as the tire runs.
  3. The ideal corrective action after a tire puncture is to repair the tire professionally, after disassembly, and continue to use it as a tubeless tire. The correct action after a tire puncture is NEVER to put a tube inside the tire alone. The puncture could lead to a separation within the tire, which could lead to a catastrophic event.

This is very true.If you are going to do high speeds then the innertube fix is not for you if you just potter around town then the risk is very minimal.

When faced will a bill of nearly 2k or a quick fix of 240 some people choose the cheaper option which should only be temporary.Another reason some people use it is because their wheel rims are bad and will not hold the air inside.The tyre I had blow never had a tube inside but I did see a lot of tyre dust inside of the tyre.I believe that the last time it was taken off a tiny piece of stone or some other crap got in and caused the tyre to wear and blow.

Thanks Gary D I had forgotten that info about the 2 not being compatible.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

The ideal corrective action after a tire puncture is to repair the tire professionally, after disassembly, and continue to use it as a tubeless tire.

As I mentioned above the guy at Yokahama did disassemble the tire an put some kind of patch on the inside.  This was for a screw puncture that was a slow leak.

Years ago I had a similar screw / nail puncture on a tubeless, and as I remember it, they repaired it from the outside, under pressure, using a plug system.  The plug was little "rope" (not sure of the material) that was pushed into the hole using a special hand tool that look a bit like a small corkscrew but the end was made for the plug.

Is my memory failing me or does something like that exist?

Edit:  I guess I answered my own question:

https://www.thoughtco.com/tire-repair-plugging-vs-patching-3234382

Edited by OnMyWay

Gary D
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

As I mentioned above the guy at Yokahama did disassemble the tire an put some kind of patch on the inside.  This was for a screw puncture that was a slow leak.

Years ago I had a similar screw / nail puncture on a tubeless, and as I remember it, they repaired it from the outside, under pressure, using a plug system.  The plug was little "rope" (not sure of the material) that was pushed into the hole using a special hand tool that look a bit like a small corkscrew but the end was made for the plug.

Is my memory failing me or does something like that exist?

Edit:  I guess I answered my own question:

https://www.thoughtco.com/tire-repair-plugging-vs-patching-3234382

I think here in the UK we use a plug that has a head and is fulled through from the inside, it is used in conjuction with adhesive.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
On 11/23/2018 at 2:03 AM, Gary D said:

I think here in the UK we use a plug that has a head and is fulled through from the inside, it is used in conjuction with adhesive.

We used to call that a mushroom plug and if my memory is correct it was banned.They used to put a patch on the inside and heat it with an electric heating machine.This was in the late 70s so things may have changed.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

We used to call that a mushroom plug and if my memory is correct it was banned.They used to put a patch on the inside and heat it with an electric heating machine.This was in the late 70s so things may have changed.

They're still used and still legal in Australia but only in some circumstances, you're only allowed to repair in the main tread area and for smaller puncture holes (like nails or screws).  Repairs to the sidewall aren't allowed and to be classified as a 'permanent' fix the plug has to be inserted from the inside of the tyre with glue.

There are also plug kits which use 'strings of rubber' which can be applied externally but they're regarded as a temporary fix, I've seen similar ones for sale on Lazada.