Electrical dangers in the Philippines

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

It seems I get more electric shocks here each year than I did in my entire life in the USA.  We had one house completely rewired from main cable entrance with new wire, breaker panels, switches, and receptacles.  Everything ripped out and replaced.  It was scary to see some of what was replaced.  

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike J said:

It seems I get more electric shocks here each year than I did in my entire life in the USA.  We had one house completely rewired from main cable entrance with new wire, breaker panels, switches, and receptacles.  Everything ripped out and replaced.  It was scary to see some of what was replaced. 

I think that was a wise move Mike, from what I've seen over there, anything electrical, I always brush the back of the hand past it before handling it. Brushing the back of the hand past it, less chance of it grabbing you.

• 2 weeks later...
Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

Looks like a good kid. Hope he didn't suffer much.

I live in an older house and have these plugged in in every wall outlet. All appliances are plugged in them. Not affiliated with Lazada and you can buy them in the local hardware stores. 

I put them in after the back of a refrigerator caught fire once.

Socket-Outlets_And_Extension_Cords_Lazada_PH_-_2018-12-04_16.33.16.png

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

I can't read the description Arizona Kid, do they have some sort of circuit  breaker on the board?

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I can't read the description Arizona Kid, do they have some sort of circuit  breaker on the board?

Yes, all of them do. I wish I had them in 2006 when lighting struck our electric pole and wasted both of my TV's. But that's what I get for not listening to my GF who said we should unplug them. 

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Arizona Kid said:

Yes, all of them do. I wish I had them in 2006 when lighting struck our electric pole and wasted both of my TV's. But that's what I get for not listening to my GF who said we should unplug them. 

I also use those, it really should not need the extra in my house but for a couple of hundred pesos each it is better to be safe than sorry.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Part of my training as an electrician has been to enforce the safety aspect 

I've seen photographs of what 200/240 volts can do to the body , it is not a pretty sight ,electricity makes two burns one where it enters the body and one where it leaves , the photo that sticks most in mind is the one where it exited by way of the foot , half the foot was burned and parts missing 

I feel sorry for the young lads family 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Guy F. said:

My condolences to you and yours. Only the good die young?

P139 is too cheap- makes me suspicious. Outlet strips with surge protection are the equivalent of P500 at Walmart in the US.

A surge protector my save your TV but it's not going to save you. You need an earth leakage trip for that.

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

A surge protector my save your TV but it's not going to save you. You need an earth leakage trip for that.

Not many outlets have Earths, in fact only earthed power is in the shower heater.   

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jimeve said:

Not many outlets have Earths, in fact only earthed power is in the shower heater.   

Which is why I really try to buy so called 'double insulated' products where possible.