Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

boyee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

The salary isn't the only factor though, living expenses, food, property, medical and dental expenses in the Philippines are a LOT less expensive.

I agree.  Many things are cheeper in PI.  I am also not comparing apples to apples with education.  My Asawa went to a great Private school in Manila then transferred to a very ghetto public school in America.  With that said, Patricia will tell you the Nun's at private school do not tolerate disobedience, a long stick to back of your hand kinda way and you were there to learn or else.  My daughter goes to the best public high school in my area and kids smoke pot in the back every day with no repercussions.  It's just not the same education.  

In regards to lower living expenses in PI.  Absolutely but I don't think a great education in PI leads to a very high paying job relative to those lower living expenses as compared to America.  For example my Filipino mother in law works for a hospital in America cleaning rooms.  A good honest living.  She has a relative back home who is a doctor at a hospital.  Her American standard of living is much higher here in America then the doctor back home.  But I've digressed.  This topic is about coming back to the west if the Philippines does not work out.  I feel fortunate that this is an option for us westerners, Our counterparts in the Philippines many times don't have the option of choosing a different country to live in, more or less go back home.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, boyee said:

I wonder if you have a kid in PI if they are raised and educated in the PI if they can obtain US or UK citizenship so he or she could adventurally go overseas for college and a western income?  But great thread!

A child of a USA citizen born in the Philippines would automatically assume USA citizenship.  If no USA parentage they would need a student visa to study in the USA.    I believe you do need to report the birth to the embassy and may be required to do paternity tests.  Possible problems with going to the USA for college would be the expense and also the culture change.  I think you would find college students in the USA to be far more liberal than those in the Philippines, non-resident tuition could approach $20,000 per year for a good school and you have living costs on top of that.

• Like 1

boyee
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

A child of a USA citizen born in the Philippines would automatically assume USA citizenship.  If no USA parentage they would need a student visa to study in the USA.    I believe you do need to report the birth to the embassy and may be required to do paternity tests.  Possible problems with going to the USA for college would be the expense and also the culture change.  I think you would find college students in the USA to be far more liberal than those in the Philippines, non-resident tuition could approach $20,000 per year for a good school and you have living costs on top of that.

Interesting... So a child born in the Philippines to an American father can get an American citizenship.  If I were not married already, retired in the PI and had a kid.  I would definitely raise that kid in the Philippines if I could pay for private school.  Then when he or she turns 18 they can immigrate to the States and enroll in community collage and transfer to a University etc and so forth.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Similarly, a child born anywhere in the world with a British father/mother is entitled to a UK passport at any time so they can upsticks and leave wherever they are and move to the UK anytime they so wish.  So, they can enjoy the benefits of both at different times as suits - a big advantage over most of us.   Best of luck to them! 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Just for fun, I compared the Big Mac Index for the Philippines/UK/USA - 2.62/4.74/5.51 respectively.  So, definitive proof! :tongue:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Just for fun, I compared the Big Mac Index for the Philippines/UK/USA - 2.62/4.74/5.51 respectively.  So, definitive proof! :tongue:

I do not know about the UK amount....  but the 2.62 in the PIs is about 1/2 days pay, while the US 5.51 is about 1/2 hours pay (for comparable sales clerk jobs)

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I do not know about the UK amount....  but the 2.62 in the PIs is about 1/2 days pay, while the US 5.51 is about 1/2 hours pay (for comparable sales clerk jobs)

I used to compare happy meals, 25 years ago it was 8:1 so the gap has closed significantly in this time, The Philippines is starting to get expensive.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, boyee said:

Interesting... So a child born in the Philippines to an American father can get an American citizenship.  If I were not married already, retired in the PI and had a kid.  I would definitely raise that kid in the Philippines if I could pay for private school.  Then when he or she turns 18 they can immigrate to the States and enroll in community collage and transfer to a University etc and so forth.  

My son already has a US passport. Working on getting the Filipino passport. Private school getting ok grades. I haven't figured out if he's an American, a Filipino, or both. He's fluent in both languages. In my opinion he's a dual citizen. He'll be 14 this year and eats everything in sight just like a teenager. Smarter than me and can fix all kinds of broken electronic gadgets. Love him like crazy.:tongue: He won't be immigrating to the US as he's already a citizen.

Edited by Arizona Kid
wrong info
  • Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

The UK amount would be broadly the same - it's my opinion that there is no coincidence in this as the price of a Big Mac has to reflect the local economy.   

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

The UK amount would be broadly the same - it's my opinion that there is no coincidence in this as the price of a Big Mac has to reflect the local economy.   

1/2 day pay vs 1/2 an hours pay is hardly comparable, though...