Repatriation:  Yes, you can go home again!

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/7/2019 at 2:35 AM, Mark Berkowitz said:

We are both healthy and happy in the USA. There's still no signs of "the deterioration of pinays health when living in the West."

IMG-4211.JPG

Plus, my wife is constantly amazed about how much bigger things are in Texas, especially the eggplants.

IMG-4300.JPG

She says the same thing about you?:hystery: Sorry..I have to joke about everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I'm surprised you can get away with saying this in the US.  I thought Americans were not allowed to own women there. :hystery:

All kidding aside, prior to obtaining her Philippines Passport, my wife had to attend a mandatory course given  by The Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO).  At the course, she was warned that many Americans will sell their Filipina wives once they arrive in the USA.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

She says the same thing about you?:hystery: Sorry..I have to joke about everything.

I know that you're only joking but my wife tells me that I'm really much bigger in Texas. :smile:

• Haha 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

All kidding aside, prior to obtaining her Philippines Passport, my wife had to attend a mandatory course given  by The Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO).  At the course, she was warned that many Americans will sell their Filipina wives once they arrive in the USA.

Any idea of the going price? How about trade ins? Just curious:)

Edited by nor cal mike
Additional ?
  • Haha 3

Mark Berkowitz
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, nor cal mike said:

Any idea of the going price? How about trade ins? Just curious:)

Hahaha... or maybe even a loaner? :hystery: .... but seriously, I really think The Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) exaggerates things quite a bit.

Edited by Mark Berkowitz
fluid situation
  • Haha 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mark Berkowitz said:

I really think The Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) exaggerates things quite a bit.

I think in a lot of these seminars The people presenting it don`t know what they are talking about. Before we got married we had to attend one and what they were saying was not correct. Most of the people giving advice have no experience of the topic they are giving advice on.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted
On 2/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

When you say here, are you meaning the US or Philippines or Mars? 

Duh 

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I would consider going back but I seriously worry about how my wife would get by in the UK once I'm gone (like most of us here my wife is a bit younger so is likely to live a fair bit after I'm gone).  No widow's pension, minimal pension from company schemes, every reducing welfare support form the government and limited personal income.  And that's before we move on to other aspects like being relatively alone and far from family in a strange country. Yes, she can return home but life has moved on there also.  It's all rosy in the garden whilst we are around but thereafter....a lot to consider

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Mark, great to hear that the move is working out!  As you know, after your first post, I put quite a bit of time into weighing the pros and cons of moving back, with emphasis on the well being of my kids.  If I didn't have kids, it probably would not be on the table.

We decided we can have a better life here in Subic Bay, at least until some things change.  For the group, here are our main motivations.

Education - As some mentioned, U.S. public schools can be hit and miss.  If you want to live in an area with good public schools, you have to pay much higher housing costs.  Other areas may have problems with gangs, bullying, drugs, standards, etc.  Good private schools are usually out of our price range.  Higher education costs in the U.S. have spiraled out of control in the past 10 years.  Most of these universities are filthy rich and the administrators are highly paid, yet they keep raising tuition.  200% increase in the last 10 years, I think I read.  Along with that, the student loans have spiraled out of control.  Another factor that was mentioned is the indoctrination that happens in public schools.  U.S. public education is controlled by leftists who have no problem teaching the kids that their view is the right view.  I know personally of this as I have no less than 5 lefty teachers in my immediate family.

Cost of healthcare and healthcare insurance - If we moved to the U.S., healthcare would become a really high % of our budget.  Yes, quality would be better, but the costs are too high.  Even when I get medicare in a few years, I would have to pay for insurance for 4 others. 

Overall quality of life - Especially since my 2 young kids get SS until they are 18, we have a decent income.  In the U.S., we would just make it in middle class lifestyle and not have any money for higher education for the kids.  And, our travels would be very limited.  Here in Subic, we live in an upper class area with extra money to save every month.  We can afford to take overseas trips with the kids while still saving for their higher education.  The best schools here don't compare to the best in the U.S., but at least we can afford them.

Any of these things could change, so we will keep reevaluating as time goes by.  If cost was no object, I would definitely move back, but until things change, it is not possible.

You nailed it OMW. One other concern is how much of a nanny state the USA is becoming. What used to be normal when we were children is now reported to police and child services as possible neglect. Some of the true (not fake news) stories on the Free Range Kids site show how that is a real risk to you and your family.

http://www.freerangekids.com/

• Like 3