And now a little about the Scots!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well @Snowy79 I will probably be Hung Drawn and Quartered for posting ths Topics but it had to be done ( if only to prove you right for once:hystery:)

So My friends why they are different up over the Border.

Here's a list of character traits that your average Scot may have (but remember, any individual may have 10% of these, or 50%, or 90%.... or none!). Every one is unique.

We know the value of a dollar (or pound!). This doesn't mean that Scots are tight-fisted or mean, just that we're careful about spending and expect value for money.

Polite but reserved, until we get to know you.

Forthright and honest. We'll say what they mean, but not with malice.

Patriotic - Scottish people might complain about the weather, or politics, or whatever but we're fiercely proud of their country and will defend it with their last breath.

Fiery and bold. Historically Scots are brave, stubborn, and courageous. Still true.

Social and friendly, once they know you. You might be surprised at how 'chatty' a Scot can be, especially if he/she has had a drink or two :)

Practical and down-to-earth. One side of our personality is very grounded and matter-of-fact. We don't like pretenses or 'fake-ness'.

Superstitious, sentimental and spiritual. Many Scottish people have a strong belief in the supernatural, and in the strength of mythical and psychic worlds. Unexpectedly emotional for such a practical people.

Appreciate the arts. Scotland has produced more than it's fair share of artists, poets, writers & musicians. Scots especially love music, dancing, story-telling and literature.

Hard-working. Historically this is a country founded and grown on hard work. First farmers and crofters, then heavy industrial plants and shipyards, today it's finance and service industries.

Know how to have a good time. Celebrations, dancing, drinking, singing.... we're expert at these.

Enjoy their food! The Scottish diet is traditionally rich in red meat, fats and sugar. Tastes great, but not so good for your health. Today's government is encouraging healthier eating - hoping to reduce the high heart-attack stats and fight obesity. Not all Scots appreciate this!

Also like 'a wee dram'. Of whisky that is. Scotch Whisky is world-famous, and for good reason. Younger generations enjoy vodka and beer too, and we don't all like whisky (personally I can't even bear the smell of it!) and the all-time favorite soft drink of Scotland is Irn Bru.

Scottish people are also a talented, creative and forward-thinking bunch. 

Our little country has more than it's fair share of famous people and many of the things we take for granted today were invented by Scots.

Scottish inventions include the TV, telephone, radar, penicillin and many more.

How Not To Offend A Scot

As you now know, Scottish people are a fascinating blend of personality traits and are fun to spend time with.

If you're planning to visit Scotland and want to get along with the 'natives', you shouldn't have any trouble at all, as long as you remember a couple more things.....

Don't call us 'Scotch', we're Scots. Scotch is whisky (without an 'e')

Don't call a kilt a skirt.

Don't ever call us English (Scotland is part of the UK, not part of England!) really.jpg Realy?:whistling:

Here football is played with a round ball, and with your feet! You might know it as soccer, but don't use that word north of the border (or in most of Europe either).

:56da64af91f92_23_11_602: And as long as we Brits continue to talk to each other and not at each other I am Happy to be associated with Topics that mean things to members who care about each other. Not forgetting other Members that may not be aware/remember of how different we call all be ;

Full source;

https://www.scottish-at-heart.com/scottish-people.html

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'd even go as far as to say there's West coast Scots and East coast Scots. Both have their obvious differences in character. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'd even go as far as to say there's West coast Scots and East coast Scots. Both have their obvious differences in character. 

:thumbsup: Having Served on both coasts I totally agree but would never quote on either :smile:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:thumbsup: Having Served on both coasts I totally agree but would never quote on either :smile:

Same here. I wouldn't want to offend those on the East coast. :hystery:

• Like 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted

And if you want to piss off a Scot...Talk about how historically accurate the movie "Braveheart" was. 😁😁

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Here football is played with a round ball, and with your feet!

My friend told me they play tick with axes in Glasgow :mocking: only joking.

Scotland is a beautiful country and I love their Porridge :tiphat:

Scot's Porridge.jpg

Edited by Kuya John

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Q What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?

A On a good day... lipstick 

Q  Why do Scots wear kilts?

A Sheep can hear a zipper 50 yards away

Q  Why do Englishmen wear pants?

A Goats are stone deaf.  

• Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Q What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?

A On a good day... lipstick 

Q  Why do Scots wear kilts?

A Sheep can hear a zipper 50 yards away

Q  Why do Englishmen wear pants?

A Goats are stone deaf.  

Scots..GB's Uk's Aussies, Kiwis..No difference. :cheers:

download.jpg

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I used to work at a renaissance festival near Dallas, TX.   Lots of performers and artisans pretending it is the 1500s.  We did parades, skits, and weddings, in kilts, swords, and pikes.  Tons of really bad kilt jokes ha ha  Fun was had by all. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Scot's would be a lot cooler it they spelled their name right :hystery: 

•  

• Hmm thinking 1