Pets and I never really wanted any.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Years ago my roommate got a African Gray Parrot 🦜. He kept her in the cage all the time because he was afraid of her. We both talked to her and fed her fruit treats daily.

Eventually I opened the cage and let her climb on my hand. Quickly she ran up to my shoulder and started to groom my hair. After a few days of this she would climb inside my shirt and poke her head out. Very affectionate and intelligent bird. My roommate was still afraid to get near her.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I had a Cockatiel when I was in my 20's that someone gave me along with a small parrot.  They were fairly tame but could be produce blood when they got pissed off!  I think the key is get them as hand raised youngsters.

Some day when we renovate I would like to have nice bird setup.  When we were at Davao Crocodile Park in 2012 we saw these birds and they had great personalities.  Anyone know what they are?  Although they look like small parrots I think they have another name.

bird.JPG   birds.MOV 95.36 MB · 2 downloads

Looks fake to me

• Haha 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I had a Cockatiel when I was in my 20's that someone gave me along with a small parrot.  They were fairly tame but could be produce blood when they got pissed off!  I think the key is get them as hand raised youngsters.

Some day when we renovate I would like to have nice bird setup.  When we were at Davao Crocodile Park in 2012 we saw these birds and they had great personalities.  Anyone know what they are?  Although they look like small parrots I think they have another name.

bird.JPG   birds.MOV 95.36 MB · 2 downloads

Some Google foo reveals it's a black capped lory - a native of Papua New Guinea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_lory

Edited by BrettGC

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jake said:

My question is.....how the hell can you determine its' sex?  Well, for any bird for that matter. 

Some birds are different colours with the male being more brightly coloured. Some have a darker beak or cheek patches and some you have to feel the pelvis and the female is wider. Some are near impossible to determine gender.

Edited by sonjack2847
Add info
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Looks fake to me

You mean like a robot?  They sure fooled me!  :hystery:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Some Google foo reveals it's a black capped lory - a native of Papua New Guinea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_lory

Yes, now I remember, they were called Lory.  I wonder if they are available to buy, legally?  They were very tame and wanted to play.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, now I remember, they were called Lory.  I wonder if they are available to buy, legally?  They were very tame and wanted to play.

Given that they're endangered in PNG, I'd say they're rare to buy even from legal breeding stock in what ever country they are available.  Like most exotic illegal parrot exports are an a major issue in their countries of origin.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

You mean like a robot?  They sure fooled me!  :hystery:

Maybe it`s just a bad shot. The birds you are saying about are lorikeets. We used to be able to get them in UK (40 years ago) but they were expensive even then.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Given that they're endangered in PNG, I'd say they're rare to buy even from legal breeding stock in what ever country they are available.  Like most exotic illegal parrot exports are an a major issue in their countries of origin.

Yes, and I would never participate in any illegal animal purchases of any type.  That Davao Croc Farm is a zoo type place so they may have special permission to breed them.  Or not.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Most parrots can talk so just ask.  If that doesn't work, stroke the lower belly area for 5-10 minutes and depending on what happens, you will know which it is.

We got 2 sets of Lovebirds recently. The large cage is inside the house. The older pair has been sitting on a couple of eggs inside their box for about 2 weeks. They are very entertaining and argue with each other a lot. I've had Cockatiels and Parrots before but only a single bird. I'll find out soon how to take care of babies I suppose.:unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2