Pets and I never really wanted any.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, BrettGC said:

I had a Cockatiel when I was in my 20's that someone gave me along with a small parrot.  They were fairly tame but could be produce blood when they got pissed off!  I think the key is get them as hand raised youngsters.

I think that's the key. I got a young one at a swap meat in San Diego once and I could crack a sunflower seed in my mouth while the bird was on my shoulder, and offer the seed to the bird on the tip of my tongue and never got bit.:biggrin:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just to be clear, I know that anyone on this forum wouldn't buy an exotic pet of dubious origin of any type whether it be bird, ape, monkey, reptile, feline or whatever.  If one of my previous posts implied you would, I apologise.  I remember being in Singapore years ago, and walking into a store and seeing an absolutely beautiful elephant tusk ivory chess set for sale.  The shop attendant could see it caught my eye and started the hard sell at about 4kUSD. I have no doubt I could've haggled him lower and it was tough to say no, but I did, I think most of you know why.  I see illegally obtained exotic pets in the same vein:  It's not about conservation or preservation for the owners, it's about ego.  If you want to own an exotic bird it's no different but they're one of the few genus' where legally traced origins are readily available, so do your due diligence and all is good. 

Sorry for hijacking your thread with that Kev, but given the topic of conversation I feel it is appropriate for me to step in and say what I have. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Well said Brett. Thanks for mentioning that important topic. I’m sure no members here would be involved with endangering spices trafficking.

On the other hand it’s possible some could  have done a catch and release back in the day. 👌👈

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

I'll find out soon how to take care of babies I suppose

I think you will find they do most of the work. But I am thinking of how it was 40 years ago.

• Hmm thinking 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Just to be clear, I know that anyone on this forum wouldn't buy an exotic pet of dubious origin of any type whether it be bird, ape, monkey, reptile, feline or whatever.  If one of my previous posts implied you would, I apologise.  I remember being in Singapore years ago, and walking into a store and seeing an absolutely beautiful elephant tusk ivory chess set for sale.  The shop attendant could see it caught my eye and started the hard sell at about 4kUSD. I have no doubt I could've haggled him lower and it was tough to say no, but I did, I think most of you know why.  I see illegally obtained exotic pets in the same vein:  It's not about conservation or preservation for the owners, it's about ego.  If you want to own an exotic bird it's no different but they're one of the few genus' where legally traced origins are readily available, so do your due diligence and all is good. 

Sorry for hijacking your thread with that Kev, but given the topic of conversation I feel it is appropriate for me to step in and say what I have. 

Noy highjacking mate it goes well with this thread and it is important that people are aware of things like this

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, Arizona Kid said:

I think that's the key. I got a young one at a swap meat in San Diego

I wouldn't have thought there would be enough meat on a bird like that for eating let alone swapping.  Oh you meant meet  :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2019 at 3:41 PM, sonjack2847 said:

I think you will find they do most of the work. But I am thinking of how it was 40 years ago.

As long as I don't have to sit on the eggs everything should be fine. Imagine the stain on my shorts!:smile:

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

As long as I don't have to sit on the eggs everything should be fine. Imagine the stain on my shorts!:smile:

One more stain will not hurt:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1