Chimney

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Just thinking out loud here and I was wondering would having a fireplace and chimney in our place in The Philippines help get rid of the heat from the room, just like you see in the homes in Spain.

As a feature in the corner but letting the hot air rise through then the chimney into the air, yes it will be covered to stop the rain coming in plus any creepy crawlers and even very small burglars.

Is this a silly thought for all of you who live out there already.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Scratching Head.jpg Worth a thought I guess :smile:

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Just thinking out loud here and I was wondering would having a fireplace and chimney in our place in The Philippines help get rid of the heat from the room, just like you see in the homes in Spain.

As a feature in the corner but letting the hot air rise through then the chimney into the air, yes it will be covered to stop the rain coming in plus any creepy crawlers and even very small burglars.

Can't see that helping, just another place for the bugs to live.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I have visited the Phills many times since 1971 and started living here in 2002. I have never seen a chimney here. But who knows? You might be want to give it a try!:867: I remember a while back reading on a different forum about a guy who spent a bunch of money shipping swamp coolers here. Turned out that they don't work in high humidity. What the hell give it a try on a small scale and see what happens.:56da64af91f92_23_11_602:  

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Can't see that helping,

Apparently it does; 

*****When your fireplace is in use, much of the heat that is generated is lost through the chimney. Fire needs fresh oxygen to burn, and waste gases must escapethrough the chimney for safety. ... This movement of air continues to contribute to heat loss up the chimney even when the fireplace is not in use.

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Apparently it does; 

*****When your fireplace is in use, much of the heat that is generated is lost through the chimney. Fire needs fresh oxygen to burn, and waste gases must escapethrough the chimney for safety. ... This movement of air continues to contribute to heat loss up the chimney even when the fireplace is not in use.

beg to differ on that Jack. I have my windows and doors open all night and the difference it makes is 2C. Also the stairs that sucks the air flow to the landing has a double door to the balcony and the stairs that lead to the top floor which is all open apart from the fire wall. So a chimney won't make any difference, if that was the case you would see them in tropical countries. 

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just thinking out loud here and I was wondering would having a fireplace and chimney in our place in The Philippines help get rid of the heat from the room, just like you see in the homes in Spain.Is this a silly thought for all of you who live out there already. 

Well this might be a silly thought Steve, white repels heat ( clothing etc ) what if the roof presuming it's tin, was to be painted white to reflect the sun away as well as the vented roof space.......Just a thought :tiphat:

• Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Kuya John said:

Well this might be a silly thought Steve, white repels heat ( clothing etc ) what if the roof presuming it's tin, was to be painted white to reflect the sun away as well as the vented roof space.......Just a thought :tiphat:

Concrete a big solid slab of it is the roof.

Just thinking of what we may do once we are there, at the moment it’s a blank canvas of 1 big open space

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

White tile it ? :89: if not used for any other purpose 

Just tried to upload "How to keep a house cool in a hot climate"........... thrown out with 503 error

Edited by Kuya John

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

So a chimney won't make any difference, if that was the case you would see them in tropical countries. 

Not my theory, I googled this :smile: