Early retirement?

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks for the post, my knees are also bad so I have been taking some anti-inflammatory medicines to ease the pain which over a long period is not a good thing, so I will try the Fish oil capsules as well, how much are you taking?

Some so called medical experts here in Australia are saying that the Fish oil capsules thing is rubbish, so could just depend on different people?

I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin for my knees, makes a big difference for me.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

One thing to consider when you retire (at any age) is being on a fixed income.  I always here people talk about inflation, but I do not think that is as major as the exchange rates. We live & die by the exchange rate.

Pretty much my thinking too - as I said in my post, Brexit affected the exchange rate by about 15% (it has since recovered a little) , way more than inflation would.  It's no just the actual drop in income, but the fact that our income is out of our control which can cause stress.  That's why i said a buffer of about 100% is advisable for a guy aged around 50.  I know the rate of GBP to PHP was as high as 90-100 and now its about 2/3 of that so it''s a pretty big drop.  However,  for someone arriving now the current figure becomes the baseline - this is why exchange rates are both the same for all and very individual at the same time. 

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Viking said:

We have calculated that we would be ok on 100K pesos a month and plan to live a quiet life with no car, no party in the bars or other expensive habits :thumbsup:

Whilst expenditure is very much individual and dependant on so many variables, I can say that me, my wife and 6-year old son get by on a good bit less than that - we own our home so no rent/mortgage to pay  though.  I'd imagine you'd be OK on that amount dependant on your lifestyle, location etc etc.

• Thanks 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How much fish oil are you taking per day?

This is what it says on the label.

Salmon oil 2000mg

EPA 360 mg

DHA240 mg

Vitamin E 20IU.

Alaska life premium deep sea salmon oil. Made in California. I think I paid 250 pesos for 300 capsules from Lazada.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Brexit affected the exchange rate by about 15%

What are you basing that figure on as since I have been here(2011) apart from a few spikes the rate has been pretty stable. 

Edited by sonjack2847
Add info

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Thanks for the post, my knees are also bad so I have been taking some anti-inflammatory medicines to ease the pain which over a long period is not a good thing, so I will try the Fish oil capsules as well, how much are you taking?

Some so called medical experts here in Australia are saying that the Fish oil capsules thing is rubbish, so could just depend on different people?

I have double jointed thumbs and they seized up, I started taking fish oil and if I remember correctly it was about one month and they were back to normal.

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

but along came Brexit and that slashed my savings by 15% ( doesn't sound so much but it is significant)

Where'd you get that from? It was 67 pesos to the pound the day before the brexit vote, now it's 68 pesos to the pound. The pound has gone down a lot against the $ but so has the peso.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I've been having these bad dreams since I set my retirement date, last night I dreamt that we were renting a house in the Philippines and it was so hot inside, it had those louver glass windows in every room in the house so I turned on the aircon and started closing them, in every single room there were my wife's relatives, the house wouldn't cool off so I checked each room, the relatives had opened all the windows back up, every time I closed them they opened them back up when I left the room, then I got bitten by a bug on my face and it swelled up like a big purple plum, the whole side of my face. I think I was probably dehydrated because I had a few beers before going to bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Heeb said:

I've been having these bad dreams since I set my retirement date, last night I dreamt that we were renting a house in the Philippines and it was so hot inside, it had those louver glass windows in every room in the house so I turned on the aircon and started closing them, in every single room there were my wife's relatives, the house wouldn't cool off so I checked each room, the relatives had opened all the windows back up, every time I closed them they opened them back up when I left the room, then I got bitten by a bug on my face and it swelled up like a big purple plum, the whole side of my face. I think I was probably dehydrated because I had a few beers before going to bed.

Funny you mentioned this, because for the last week I was telling my wife about my dreams of going back to work!  They were not bad dreams but kind of comical.  Sometimes in the early morning I can dream, wake up and think about the dream, then go back to sleep and continue the same dream.  In the first one, I was back in Kentucky and I was going back to work for my old employer.  Apparently I had a too good to turn down offer, so I was planning to move the family over.  I really liked my last house there, so I was planning to buy it back, no matter the cost.  Then a few days later, I dreamed I was back working.  There was a stack of papers with big numbers on them on my desk.  Simple whole numbers, like 6, 9, 3.  I was supposed to do something with them, but I didn't know what.  A lot of people were counting on me and I felt really guilty that I was not getting the job done!

OK, analyze me!

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Then a few days later, I dreamed I was back working.  There was a stack of papers with big numbers on them on my desk.  Simple whole numbers, like 6, 9, 3.  I was supposed to do something with them, but I didn't know what.  A lot of people were counting on me and I felt really guilty that I was not getting the job done!

Maybe those numbers were a foretelling of the winning lottery numbers. Did you play them?

• Like 2