Getting older and a little bit smarter.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

https://youtu.be/ogNehZQqUxo

If you want to learn basic cebuano/visayan try this link for You tube.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

We have always found that if Hired, they like to get/use up all the Hire time before it is collected :89: like they might lose out on something :whistling:

So they are really wanting to get their monies worth, makes sense in a sort of a way. 

What I didn't mention is that this noise, at 9:30a.m. it is still going, is at least 750meters away in the squatters camp.

While I was visiting some friends in Puerto Gallera last week they informed me that there is a local law there that all noise is to stop at 10 p.m. and bang dead on 10 p.m. it did.

But here that wouldn't work because the police probably would not enforce it because they have to live amongst the locals and are afraid of the repercussions, which is also why they don't enforce traffic regulation, now I am guessing that there is regulations, as it is quiet funny when the cops set up a road block to check licences, registration and helmet laws, the amount of road users doing U Turns and racing away is very funny.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

the police probably would not enforce it because they have to live amongst the locals and are afraid of the repercussions, which is also why they don't enforce traffic regulation.

Well I am not sure where you are One more but here in Dumaguete, The Police have to serve on Cebu to try and eliminate this. It is only when they get to P3 they can serve at Home sort of thing. My nephew is up for regrading later in the year and hopes that he can get a Home Basing. In the Uk you can't serve at home. ( or couldn't things change of course) The Police have to serve in another County 2 counties away from Home. This to me makes an awful lot of sense  :thumbsup:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Makes sense to me as well, but not here in Daet City, Camarines Norte.

• Sad 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Yes, me the same, but if I was to learn the language would I also have to adjust to their customs, for example last evening whilst enjoying sunset outside on the verandah the karaoke started at 6 p.m. so inside I went my serenity ruined, up this morning outside on the verandah watching the birds as I normally do with a cup of coffee, then bang the karaoke started again at 6:30 a.m. give me a break.

Learning the language and adjusting to their customs, that must include getting half the brain removed and having no idea of consideration for anybody.

I sympathize. I couldn't take that.

Before we built we visited the property several times at all hours, so we could have some confidence that noise would not be a problem. The house has solid concrete walls, not hollow blocks, good double-glaze windows, a good perimeter wall and an insulated roof, all of which which helps to keep noise out.

You are lucky to have birds. Wish there were more where I live.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2019 at 2:54 AM, Guy F. said:

Google translate does Bisayan.

I’ve found it next to useless translating.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I’ve found it next to useless translating.

I find that most times I am more confused after translating than before, at least I can pick out key words and get a jist of what is being written in Visayan.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Guy F. said:

I sympathize. I couldn't take that.

Before we built we visited the property several times at all hours, so we could have some confidence that noise would not be a problem. The house has solid concrete walls, not hollow blocks, good double-glaze windows, a good perimeter wall and an insulated roof, all of which which helps to keep noise out.

You are lucky to have birds. Wish there were more where I live.

IMG_0013.jpgIt was only after we moved in that the squatters started setting up camp a couple of house blocks away, then out the front the government set up a "Urban poor area" so now we are surrounded except for the virgin rain forest across the river, the 3 Belgians in the picture keep the feral cats and the rats away. Could be worse I suppose.

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 5/29/2019 at 5:41 PM, Guy F. said:

So none of you have made a serious effort to learn the native language? When I'm there I try to learn at least one new word every day. It earns me some goodwill among the natives. It brings a smile to some faces, especially the kids, when they say "hello" to me and I reply in Visayan.

I'm just too damn lazy to put forth the effort. I retired here because English is understood by many. I know many words but can't put them together in an intelligible sentence. :cheers:

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

IMG_0013.jpgIt was only after we moved in that the squatters started setting up camp a couple of house blocks away, then out the front the government set up a "Urban poor area" so now we are surrounded except for the virgin rain forest across the river, the 3 Belgians in the picture keep the feral cats and the rats away. Could be worse I suppose.

Those dogs look lazier than me..I'm jealous! :biggrin: