Electricity and The A/C unit

hk blues
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Ive had a look at the gfs aircon ,the split unit intake is clogged up and its only 9 months old

Ill take some stuffback with me next visit to clean outthe unit , clogged filters make your motor work harder

I clean mine (filters) every 2-3 months when I remember.  Easy to do but 1 of the units has a poor design and the unit has to be partially dismantled to get to the filter which is annoying.  I also have an annual proper clean through the installers - we don't live in a dusty area so it seems enough

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I have a cat 4 qualification in the UK , which means ive been trained on servicing aircon units 

We use a biodegradable solution to clean the vanes , its very slightly acidic , this is to counter the limescale that we have in the water here ,i start by using a paint brush to lightly brush the dust etc off ,then give the vanes a wash down with the solution 

The internal units have a dry filter ,this can be removed and vacuumed 

There is a small pump that can cause problems ,the pump takes the condensate water away from the unit ,its what causes the drips , there is a rubber "band " inside the pump tgat fails eventually, you can get a replacement part 

The other thing to check is the temp coming out of the unit , and the temp of the air veing drawn in , if it drops below a 15 deg difference, your unit may need to be regassed

I hope this info helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jimeve said:

I know. The mystery is why mine is using 12,000 kwh? had the filters cleaned and the unit checked over. The local maintenance man said it could be the motor! I have seen how they troubleshoot here, they keep replacing things until it runs properly.:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

What gage cable is your service? And what gage to the unit? As others have said are all junctions connected properly? 

Maybe Bastonjack would know minimum requirements?

Edited by Old55

Gary D
Posted
Posted

When we put up the water tower on our mango land the welder was making all the taped joints on the main line flash. When we get back there in September we will be having the four joined pieces replaced with a continuous length.

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Old55 said:

What gage cable is your service? And what gage to the unit? As others have said are all junctions connected properly? 

It all depends on the lenght of the run from the meter ,basically the longer the run, the larger the diameter. The cable they use in the Philippines is alumnium

If the cable is undersized ,it will in crease your costs

• Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Old55 said:

Can't remember, but just asked the wife she said she thinks its gage 2! Don't know what gage is going to the unit.

Edited by jimeve

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, bastonjock said:

It all depends on the lenght of the run from the meter ,basically the longer the run, the larger the diameter. The cable they use in the Philippines is alumnium

If the cable is undersized ,it will in crease your costs

from my transformer it's a 50 meter run to the breaker, then it's another 50 meters to the house. We have 1 breaker on each floor. Also we have a cable going to the small house that we rent out, that's where the A/C located. Service drop 2 from the transformer to the main house. Transformer is 15 KVA.

• Hmm thinking 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, jimeve said:

from my transformer it's a 50 meter run to the breaker, then it's another 50 meters to the house. We have 1 breaker on each floor. Also we have a cable going to the small house that we rent out, that's where the A/C located. Service drop 2 from the transformer to the main house. Transformer is 15 KVA.

Philippines sizing is different to the UK , I'll find out the recommended cable size for you , gf,s papa is an electrical engineer 

We size mostly copper and in the Phil's they use aluminium 

• Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bastonjock said:

gf,s papa is an electrical engineer 

:smile: Or do you mean he knows a little about Philippine Electrics? :wink:

• Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jimeve said:

Okay here's the answer   it looks good to me as he has given it also I'm mm2 which is what I work on 

From the transformer to the breaker use 100 A circuit breaker cable size -1AWG

From the breaker to the house 2AWG

You did not give me the lengty of run from the big house to the small house you need a 30A breaker for the aircon 

30amp refrigerator

20 amp outlets and common appliances

15 A lighting 

Philippines cablebsizes are different from the UK,  we use copper ,also they run mostly a 2 wire system and run what are called radicals, we generally run rings 

Hope this makes sense

• Thanks 1