Electricity and The A/C unit

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Today I have our Local large Supplier and Installer of A/C Units here, They cleaned on Saturday but Found a Large Fault in the Compressor Unit that has Killed the Motherboard, This was brought on by Fluctuations in Power voltage even though we have our own  Transformer. We Found out that the Power Company are still just twisting Wires and taping them, So when we had our cables tested  (2 weeks ago) we were told by the Engineer we need the proper  Jointers or it may damage the A/C unit. It did so now as the Unit concerned is still under warranty, They are changing the Whole issue. We Blame the Utility company as does the unit supplier but for me they can solve that themselves, We just want a Unit that runs well don't need as may cleans and visits and will run  above the 18c that it has been for months. No way was the room at 18 c as the unit was hurt by this fluctuation of voltage and was struggling all the time then just cutting out.

OK so my purpose of telling you this is so that any one with A/C's ( @jimeve) that are doing strange things, check the cables to see if they are jointed right. If not it may cause a Burnout of the Motherboard. The Electric Company know that they are not doing the right thing and should be informed

Just a Heads up G & G's

Jack:89:

Just to Add that all my Power cables coming to the House are now Joined with a proper Joint unit. 

Moral: get it Tested and sorted  you know it makes sense 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

This was brought on by Fluctuations in Power voltage

Sorry to hear about your trouble.  Perhaps a link to an old joke about fluctuations may turn your frown upside down.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

your frown upside down.

No Frown Dave a Big smile as I am getting what I want from whoever has caused the problem that was known about for a long time, As I have said before the way the Electricity is delivered hers is abysmal to say the least, We know that will not change so my words the the GM of the Utility Company on Friday were your engineers knew there could be a problem and it was Reported. OK so now we have got that sorted. We now have to sort out the problem  of a damaged Unit, If it is your fault I look to you to renew that Unit. Obviously they (Both GM's) have spoken and as I say up is going a whole new Unit and Compressor, As long as I am not paying then I am happy so I sit while they ( Installers) eat and I sit here with a Smile Big.jpg But my Friend I do thank you for you Comments although not for me today as Today, I am a winner  :whistling:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

They recently ran street lights in our area. Not a single scrap of wire is over 10 feet long.  All down the street it is twisted and taped. 

Interesting... I sat on our second floor balcony for a while about 4 months ago watching a crew of electrical workers running a new line down the street from a pole up our street past the front of our house to somewhere further down the street in the subdivision.  They used what looked like new wire from a big reel (although the reel was half used when they started) and clipped it to existing poles and supports (and other bundles of wire) as they went along.  Definitely no joins and all one piece. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeoffH

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

OK so my purpose of telling you this is so that any one with A/C's ( @jimeve) that are doing strange things, check the cables to see if they are jointed right. If not it may cause a Burnout of the Motherboard. The Electric Company know that they are not doing the right thing and should be informed

We bought our own cable and poles, noreco connected the cable to our transformer and to the house. Not sure if that's the problem with our A/C. I checked the A/C power and it was drawing 12,000 KWA.

For a 1 HP UNIT that is too much, the salesperson who I bought it from said it should draw 1,000 KWH which I think is still too much.

I had the filters cleaned and the compressor cleaned by the professionals LOL. They said it's been over used. It's only 15 months old.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

My almost new microwave died last week.

Yes, we'd had some hellish thunderstorms, and some variation in power, but the thing has got a fuse on it, and wasn't being used at the time as far as I can recall,  so ... I'm confused (and I can't heat up my lunch !)  :(

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/17/2019 at 6:06 AM, graham59 said:

My almost new microwave died last week.

Yes, we'd had some hellish thunderstorms, and some variation in power, but the thing has got a fuse on it, and wasn't being used at the time as far as I can recall,  so ... I'm confused (and I can't heat up my lunch !)  :(

Now you know why filipino's go around unplugging things all the time. Most homes don't have proper grounds which increases the chance of electrical/electronic equipment getting damaged from an electrical storm.

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

I had actually grounded it, but maybe not sufficiently well.  No breakers had tripped either, so, still mystified. I'm no electrician though.   :sad:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I'm no electrician though.

Neither are some of the "qualified" electricians in the Philippines.  I've used 2 different ones on separate occasions.  Not thrilled with either.  But the job gets done and works for the most part.  Each of them told me that 1,000 pesos a day is a master electrician's wage.  I'm not sure what they have to do to qualify for that but so long as it passes the electric company criteria then I live with it.

• Like 1