Wife ill again with same problem! seems nothing is curing

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Is your wife taking medications that may cause a cough? The other thing is environmental. Dust, mold, pet hair, or many other unkown factors could be the cause.Perhaps another Dr. opinion?

Only Meds prescribed, She went this morning to a Pulmonary Doctor who said that what she was taking was what he would have prescribed so:whatever: Other things well she seems to have all that covered

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

Clermont
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

another thought, her recent Chest X Ray was clear

Jack, it might be a little hexy over there, but a CT scan on the chest will give an accurate diagnosis on a problem. If all clear, then go look for other problems, cheaper in the long run.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Any thoughts people?

My guess, because I see it a lot in the Philippines, is 

The most likely culprit to a summertime cough is allergies. ... If your filter isn't working properly, then it is possible that your air conditioning system is circulating pollen, dust, and other particles that can contribute to coughing and other allergy symptoms

Here are a couple of other links to check out

https://www.ahs.com/home-matters/lifestyle/what-is-air-conditioning-lung

https://www.mydr.com.au/respiratory-health/cough-dry-cough

In my experience, some air conditioners are worse than others so she may be fine with some air cons and not with others.  When I get it, or when Lionelle gets it, the only solution is to live without aircon for a couple of days until it goes away.  Keeping the aircon cleaned regularly helps but once the cough starts even a clean aircon contributes to it.  Such is my anecdotal experience, but remember I am also the one who got rid of the numbness in his feet by taking vitamin E, which others said would not work.  So all you can do is try, or keep looking for alternatives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

In my experience, some air conditioners are worse than others so she may be fine with some air cons and not with others.

Well worth a think about, Our new is Just 2 weeks old and has new micro Filters, the one before was Cleaned 6/ 8 times a year if you remember my Topic on Electricity and A/C's Both were split type with outside Compressor Units. However the one in her Office is just like a Window type but  is just the Inverter connected to the main System, I will ask the Engineer when I see him when the last clean was and if he can tell me the Schedule of the System :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Could be the weather, I know it’s nothing to do with it, but these last few weeks here in England I have suffered with dry mouth and other bits, but this is down to the grass and pollen here.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I do not want sound like an alarmist but you should be aware of a disease called wegener's granulomatosis.  My mother had a cough that went on a long time.  She also saw multiple doctors with no good results.  Eventually she was diagnosed with wegener's granulomatosis.  After several years of treatments and failing health, see passed away as a result of the progressive nature of the disease.  This is a fairly rare disease and the doctor who diagnosed my mother had only seen one other case in his career.  I would suggest you google the symptoms, etc to see if any of them other than the cough fits.   Feel free to PM me or I can post additional information if you feel the need. 

This is from google, perhaps it would be of help if you wanted to test for it.  I don't know what it means but I guess a doctor would.

<snip>

How is Wegener's granulomatosis diagnosis?
Blood tests that detect the abnormal inflammation include the sedimentation rate (sed rate) and C-reactive protein. A more specific blood test used to diagnose and monitor Wegener's granulomatosis is the antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA test), which is commonly elevated when the disease is active.Jul 10, 2018

<end snip>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Hope your lady gets over this cough soon and that it's not to serious. It could be the aircon, I get a dry cough even if I go on a few hours  journey by bus....that's why I won't have it at home.

• Like 3

Manananangal
Posted
Posted
On 7/6/2019 at 5:44 AM, Mike J said:

I do not want sound like an alarmist but you should be aware of a disease called wegener's granulomatosis.  My mother had a cough that went on a long time.  She also saw multiple doctors with no good results.  Eventually she was diagnosed with wegener's granulomatosis.  After several years of treatments and failing health, see passed away as a result of the progressive nature of the disease.  This is a fairly rare disease and the doctor who diagnosed my mother had only seen one other case in his career.  I would suggest you google the symptoms, etc to see if any of them other than the cough fits.   Feel free to PM me or I can post additional information if you feel the need. 

This is from google, perhaps it would be of help if you wanted to test for it.  I don't know what it means but I guess a doctor would.

<snip>

How is Wegener's granulomatosis diagnosis?
Blood tests that detect the abnormal inflammation include the sedimentation rate (sed rate) and C-reactive protein. A more specific blood test used to diagnose and monitor Wegener's granulomatosis is the antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA test), which is commonly elevated when the disease is active.Jul 10, 2018

<end snip>

As you can tell from all of the ideas, cough is a very common symptom that has a broad range of etiologies.  A good place to start is with a Doc you have confidence in.  Sounds like you did/ are doing that.  There are many rare etiologies that can be hard to track down and diagnose.  So even working with a Dr. you trust is only a place to begin. PM sent

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

A colleague at work gets a persistent cough during the summer from the aircon coursed by the dry air. I also developed a cough when I was in Peru last year due to the dryness of the air at altitude. Worth a consideration.

• Like 1