Third telecom gets license

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 7/12/2019 at 4:14 PM, Arizona Kid said:

I feel your pain. The street I drive on to get home has PLDT advertisements for up to 200 mbps fiber at a special price. Too bad for me that they didn't run the lines into my subdivision.:Mad:

In my experience what PLDT offer and what they actually provide are two totally different things! We have their 'up to 50 mbps' fibre package but it is usually sub 10 mbps, often less than 1 mbps! So if they can't provide 50 they surely can't provide 200! But they would be very keen to take the money anyway.

We have to have Globe fibre as a backup as the mrs requires a fast internet for her online tutoring. Even Globe has its failings, hopefully they don't coincide. 😕

I really hope this new provider lives up to expectation. If so, we would be one of the first to change!

Ken

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

In my experience what PLDT offer and what they actually provide are two totally different things! We have their 'up to 50 mbps' fibre package but it is usually sub 10 mbps, often less than 1 mbps! So if they can't provide 50 they surely can't provide 200! But they would be very keen to take the money anyway.

We have to have Globe fibre as a backup as the mrs requires a fast internet for her online tutoring. Even Globe has its failings, hopefully they don't coincide. 😕

I really hope this new provider lives up to expectation. If so, we would be one of the first to change!

Ken

If PLDT are selling you an up to 50mbps package, they are required to provided a certain %age of this for a certain %age of time.   If they are not then you are entitled to compensation.  I have the opposite case - I'm with Globe and have their 10mbps package but am getting 12mbps pretty much all the time.  

I also do online tutoring - Due to provider restrictions I cannot get a 2nd back-up connection but in 2 1/2 years I have not had any significant issues with this but I do have to be careful with my scheduling.  For me, in our area brown-outs are a bigger problem but I have a battery back-up for my modem.

Overall, I"m not unhappy with Globe but for sure a 3rd player cannot do any harm.

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Huggybearman said:

Ken

Globe promised me 50 and said it was available at my house. Turns out it wasn't so I settled on the 15 plan. Best internet I've had and sometimes exceeds 19 on downloads. I took this screen grab 5 min. ago. Must depend on the area.:89:

Xfinity_Speed_Test_-_2019-07-14_16.01.06.png

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

If PLDT are selling you an up to 50mbps package, they are required to provided a certain %age of this for a certain %age of time. 

Here in Subic Freeport, PLDT is partnered with Subictel, and they told me that they guarantee 60% of the purchased speed.  In my case, I pay for 50 mbps and they would guarantee 30.

I haven't had to worry about that lately.  Always over 100!  This is Quezon City and Dallas, TX, servers.

Screenshot (496).png  Screenshot (497).png

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
On 7/14/2019 at 5:12 PM, OnMyWay said:

Here in Subic Freeport, PLDT is partnered with Subictel, and they told me that they guarantee 60% of the purchased speed.  In my case, I pay for 50 mbps and they would guarantee 30.

I haven't had to worry about that lately.  Always over 100!  This is Quezon City and Dallas, TX, servers.

Screenshot (496).png  Screenshot (497).png

Fine until drunk driver knocks over a PLDT pole.:wosautos121:

• Haha 3