Taxis In Cebu City / Mactan

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

OUCH.jpg OMW that was a bit below the Belt mate, that is not you as a norm, what you going to do if it is not to your Standard?

Below the belt?  You are assuming a lot.  I know this couple.  They came to our wedding.  They are my friends on FB and I have seen pics of the inside of their house.  She is quite wealthy by most standards.  She travels back and forth to Germany a few times a year and travels all over the Philippines too.  Her grown daughter is a German citizen, married to a German guy.

I could have worded it better and said "I assume she has a nice BIG house with room for us".

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, OnMyWay said:

I could have worded it better and said "I assume she has a nice BIG house with room for us".

I assumed nothing OMW you did

1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I have seen pics of the inside of their house. 

Yet you assumed it was Nice when you actually knew it was, It makes no odds to me but............................. I still think your assumption was at that time below the belt Prejudging when you need a favour and all Free as you said :wink:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

@Jack Peterson

Ok, Jack.  I have to say it.  It seems like you are chiming in every topic, even if you don't have a vested interest.  And then sometimes you are critical of member's posts in the topic, or overly concerned on going off-topic, etc.

There was really no reason for you to comment on my taxi / travel post.  I'm sure others did not read my post about the cousin as having some deep moral implications.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm sure others did not read my post about the cousin as having some deep moral implications.

Forum and who wants admin rights.jpg

You protesteth too much Methinks:whatever: You can't accept that you messed up can you and when I want your Guidance as to me presence here I will NOT ask YOU  

BTW I have a right I believe to my Opinion

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling

gabgab
Posted
Posted (edited)

There is Grab in Cebu but it's mostly a waste of time and money (long waits and more expensive). Not as bad as in Manila but still doesn't pay off in most cases.

At the airport specifically there is a well arranged white taxi stand. Just go there and take a taxi, they'll be a bunch of them lining up. The conductor will give you a slip with the taxi registration plate number. Fee from the airport to Cebu City should be less than 300p with a meter.

What you don't want to use is the so called 'Airport Taxis' since those are much more expensive. Just use the white taxis as described above. There are 2 queues, one for the white taxis and one for the 'airport taxis'.

Edited by jimdones
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

GRAB and Uber are both available in Cebu City.

Now back on topic

Mike Uber closed up Philippines operations months ago. Was in the news for months at the time.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/26/2019 at 1:15 PM, jimdones said:

There is Grab in Cebu but it's mostly a waste of time and money (long waits and more expensive). Not as bad as in Manila but still doesn't pay off in most cases.

At the airport specifically there is a well arranged white taxi stand. Just go there and take a taxi, they'll be a bunch of them lining up. The conductor will give you a slip with the taxi registration plate number. Fee from the airport to Cebu City should be less than 300p with a meter.

What you don't want to use is the so called 'Airport Taxis' since those are much more expensive. Just use the white taxis as described above. There are 2 queues, one for the white taxis and one for the 'airport taxis'.

I thought this was a funny coincidence.  The host at the Air Bnb I booked in Cebu City had these instructions.  Almost the same as yours!

The best value way to go into the city is:
when you exit the departure terminal main door, don't take the yellow taxi right there; turn right,and walk about 50 meters to where you will see all the white taxi's .  This should be about 200-300 pesos($8-12) which is cheaper than the yellow taxi .Make sure to tell the driver to turn the meter on.  Be sure the meter starts at 40.00 pesos($1).  Ask the driver to show you the meter.

Regarding Grab, I just read this on their website.  Doesn't seem worth it unless you are in a particular situation where it is hard to get a taxi.

How much does it cost?
Our drivers are trained to turn on the meter once the passenger is inside the taxi. All you have to pay is the metered fare (based on LTFRB) and an additional booking fee, which varies per city. Check your app to learn more about our booking fees.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Make sure to tell the driver to turn the meter on.  Be sure the meter starts at 40.00 pesos($1).

In the almost 3 years I have lived here I dont think I have ever had an issue with a taxi and its meter. Long time ago different story and it might be different at the airport if they smell a newbie here for the first time.

gabgab
Posted
Posted (edited)

Haha, for the record I'm not airbnb hosting anywhere :)

Regarding the meter, just now in Manila I had a taxi driver refusing to turn on the meter from the airport to Cubao.

Which, admittedly, is a nasty ride traffic wise.

We started haggling and agreed on a certain price which I thought was fair enough although it did (so I believed) include a not too small tip.

Traffic was so bad that it would have paid off for him to go for the the meter option. In fact, I decided to give him 50p extra on top of the haggled price. The ride took us 2 full hours, Waze estimated 1 hour. Never trust Waze :) The taxi driver was friendly enough although was kind of on edge due to the endless traffic.

As for Grab, it would have cost more (both the Car and Taxi options) anyway, and they don't have a magical way around the traffic. You can always try Angkas if you have very small luggage and are a bit suicidal.

Edited by jimdones
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, jimdones said:

Haha, for the record I'm not airbnb hosting anywhere :)

Regarding the meter, just now in Manila I had a taxi driver refusing to turn on the meter from the airport to Cubao.

Which, admittedly, is a nasty ride traffic wise.

We started haggling and agreed on a certain price which I thought was fair enough although it did (so I believed) include a not too small tip.

Traffic was so bad that it would have paid off for him to go for the the meter option. In fact, I decided to give him 50p extra on top of the haggled price. The ride took us 2 full hours, Waze estimated 1 hour. Never trust Waze :) The taxi driver was friendly enough although was kind of on edge due to the endless traffic.

As for Grab, it would have cost more (both the Car and Taxi options) anyway, and they don't have a magical way around the traffic. You can always try Angkas if you have very small luggage and are a bit suicidal.

The few times I went the flat rate route, I never tipped. I in fact told them they would have come out far ahead if by meter and tip.