Bamboo Flooring

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I'm not sure how much exposure would be needed to present any actual harm.  

I can tell you that my brother was in the asbestos removal business 40 years ago and he is still alive, healthy, happy, and riding a motorcycle around Asia 4 decades later.  So in my opinion the harm is over exagerrated.  Back then they wore "protective gear" but he went home covered in microfibers until he showered.

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/30/2019 at 6:12 PM, Tommy T. said:

I was researching the "brand" at Trust hardware and found nothing online for it, "Artisan." So I am suspecting that brand is not good...

Probably this http://artisanhardwood.com/  but plenty of others with Artisan in the name. 

• Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can tell you that my brother was in the asbestos removal business 40 years ago and he is still alive, healthy, happy, and riding a motorcycle around Asia 4 decades later.  So in my opinion the harm is over exagerrated.  Back then they wore "protective gear" but he went home covered in microfibers until he showered.

My uncle worked in a shipyard in Barrow-in-Furness and he died from Mesothelioma at age 52, he did smoke a pipe though.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Probably this http://artisanhardwood.com/  but plenty of others with Artisan in the name. 

Thanks for the reply JGF. I don't think that is the same Artisan brand after looking at the name on the box.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but most companies really like to cover their products with logos and advertising. This "Artisan Flooring," seems elusive, or maybe I have just lost my touch researching with my friend Mr. Google?

And I have a difficult time, also, believing that an American product could be sold here cheaper than a likely Chinese product? But I have been wrong so many times before and maybe am wrong again?

20190718_100755_resized.jpg

Gary D
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Heeb said:

My uncle worked in a shipyard in Barrow-in-Furness and he died from Mesothelioma at age 52, he did smoke a pipe though.

There is a big difference in the asbestos used in buildings and shipping. Buildings tend the use sheet form where the asbestos is held as a solid with cement and only becomes dangerous when powdered. In shipping it is used as an insulator for boilers and pipework etc. and is a fibre so easily passed into the air and breathed in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 8/4/2019 at 5:02 AM, jimeve said:

I never knew some paint contained asbestos, 40 years in the trade and never got told about this. I suspect textured paint may contain asbestos.

Belive it or not ,today we had a lecture on asbestos

It can be found in old toilets seats , one brand of talcum powder,  it was used in artex ceilings up inti the 90,s , plaster board , ceiling tiles ,plastics 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bastonjock said:

It can be found in old toilets seats , one brand of talcum powder,  it was used in artex ceilings up inti the 90,s , plaster board , ceiling tiles ,plastics 

Did they use it in fire blankets? and ovens.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, bastonjock said:

It is scary stuff. A ship I worked aboard was loaded with it. No... no fires reported, but the health effects? I will let you know in a few more years...