Bamboo Flooring

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I am not sure, exactly which subject this should fall under so I will try here...

Has anyone had experience with installing or using woven strand bamboo flooring? I have found some suppliers here in Davao and the brand name with the best price appears to be the brand name "Artisan," found in Trust Hardware. However, I have not been able to find any information online about this brand, so I am suspicious - especially because of the cheap price... It's the old, "You get what you pay for," syndrome that I think about.

I also checked out Wilcon and they have a large selection, but their prices are higher. I don't have a brand name and an online search right now is useless - all they show under "building materials" is ladders... what?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

"You get what you pay for," syndrome that I think about.

Not always Tom, Bamboo is Bamboo is Bamboo, get Branded stuff and you will pay Branded Prices, get it from a hardware place you will pay for it But For me and it is what I do, Find a Local carpenter ( They are about) and tell him exactly what you want, bamboo grows in abundance here and the local know where to source it, They probably won't even pay for it as many people just want it Cleared away, so the Price is fairly acceptable to you, As I say Bamboo is Bamboo :wink:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Not always Tom, Bamboo is Bamboo is Bamboo, get Branded stuff and you will pay Branded Prices, get it from a hardware place you will pay for it But For me and it is what I do, Find a Local carpenter ( They are about) and tell him exactly what you want, bamboo grows in abundance here and the local know where to source it, They probably won't even pay for it as many people just want it Cleared away, so the Price is fairly acceptable to you, As I say Bamboo is Bamboo :wink:

Thanks for your reply, Jack. I may not have explained my need adequately - sorry if I did not make it more clear... Or did I misunderstand your comments? Always possible with this old guy here...

I am looking for wood flooring that is boards with tongue and groove slats - maybe 4-5+ inches wide, about 1/4" or thicker. This is a manufactured product - mostly produced in China, so far as my research has shown. I don't think it is a local product? But - as frequently - I may be wrong about that?

What I am seeing online is that these slats or "tiles?" seem to be manufactured almost exclusively in China. The woven strand bamboo is produced sort of like pressboard, with high pressure and glues to hold all the fibrous bamboo together into boards. There are other versions I have researched - "engineered," which is similar to plywood with a veneer on top, "mat board," which seems to be exactly like particle board and also with a veneer (or maybe this is the one made like plywood? I forgot already as my head is spinning with all the choices), or solid wood - which is quite beautiful but way beyond my financial reach and, apparently, not nearly as strong as the woven bamboo strand construction...

Those are the results of my research, so far. I am no expert on any of this, just regurgitating what I have learned online.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Or did I misunderstand your comments? Always possible with this old guy here...

maybe only the Part of the Local man, They are very resourceful if you have Patience to sit and talk to them and not at them, Best we find is to sit them in front of the PC monitor and show them what you are after, If they can do it then they can if Not then you will have to another Road, Bearinging in Mind Of Course that whilst bamboo is bamboo the Chinese Farm it To a greater Width. Wish you luck mate 

BTW whilst I am here, we have many Bamboo weavers that produce good Strong Tiles for Floors, I am sure there will be some over there as well:wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the information and advice, Jack. I am fortunate - as always - to have L by my side to translate and also to moderate any thoughts or comments I might make or be about to make, so that the locals understand my often fragmented thoughts!

I will continue my research and see what I can find... Thanks again!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Bamboo is Bamboo is Bamboo

Oh no.  That is not true at all.  There are different species of bamboo with stronger and longer lasting qualities.  When my good friend was building bamboo houses he would have his works drive 100 km into the hills to get the good stuff rather than build with the low quality stuff.

https://www.guaduabamboo.com/types/top-20-best-bamboo-species

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Oh no.  That is not true at all. 

Good enough for me for this Topic and Local things that our Friend is willing to pay for and I did say a ,local man could source it, I see your Point But.................................:wink: wood is wood is wood, not metal:whistling:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Let’s us know how you go on Tom, and if you do find any show us the pictures too, thanks.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Not always Tom, Bamboo is Bamboo is Bamboo As I say Bamboo is Bamboo :wink:

Bloody hell Jack, I thought you was going to burst into the song ‘ The Old Bam Boo ‘.:thumbsup:.

I bet you be singing that all day long now.

• Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I bet you be singing that all day long now.

When I get back from the Mountains with a Piece good enough for a Didgeridoo maybe :whistling: 

• Like 1