Bamboo Flooring

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Tiles are perfectly smooth, I thought that it might make a good foundation for bamboo. Just a thought!

Okay... Sounds like a great thought to me!:biggrin: Let's hear what those with expertise and experience have to say?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

certainly a latex mix to stop any rising damp from the porous Concrete

Jim mate I see you are confused, If the Baboo is to be laid direct to concrete you would need to have it Finished to a Good if not perfect Finish the same as if you would be laying Ceramic tiles, Maybe some will remember that I had to have practically the Main part of our House relayed because it was not finished well enough, Sure laying on Tiles can be a solution provided the Tiles are in good shape and don't start to POP as mine did, I would have had to take up a Wood? floor and relay that too if that happens, all I was getting at is that the Floor is ever only going to be as Good as the Sub Floor  :wink:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Jim mate I see you are confused, If the Baboo is to be laid direct to concrete you would need to have it Finished to a Good if not perfect Finish the same as if you would be laying Ceramic tiles, Maybe some will remember that I had to have practically the Main part of our House relayed because it was not finished well enough, Sure laying on Tiles can be a solution provided the Tiles are in good shape and don't start to POP as mine did, I would have had to take up a Wood? floor and relay that too if that happens, all I was getting at is that the Floor is ever only going to be as Good as the Sub Floor  :wink:

We were discussing laying Bamboo over tiles Jack, That's why I'm confused. 

1 hour ago, jimeve said:

Tiles are perfectly smooth, I thought that it might make a good foundation for bamboo. Just a thought!

• Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Sure laying on Tiles can be a solution provided the Tiles are in good shape and don't start to POP as mine did, I would have had to take up a Wood? floor and relay that too if that happens, all I was getting at is that the Floor is ever only going to be as Good as the Sub Floor  :wink:

Of course Jack, the tiles would have to be sound. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Yes I understand that but I genuinely thought Tom was exploring all things? :wink: Your thoughts among many as I see it mate

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yes I understand that but I genuinely thought Tom was exploring all things? :wink:

Just to clarify... I sort of thought Jim was asking about the possibility of laying a wood floor over tiles in his own home? Or did I misunderstand? My intention - since it is a new home - is to just have the wood float-installed onto the finished cement floor. I would be interested to consider his idea in the future, possibly, after we have lived there a while, recoup some expenses and see how we like the wood in the bedrooms and how it holds up...:smile:

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Just to clarify... I sort of thought Jim was asking about the possibility of laying a wood floor over tiles in his own home?

Yes Tommy, that was the question. My/wife's house is fairly new 2014. Needs some homely feel about it so I thought bamboo flooring might give it that feeling. Something in the future to ponder with.

• Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Yes Tommy, that was the question. My/wife's house is fairly new 2014. Needs some homely feel about it so I thought bamboo flooring might give it that feeling. Something in the future to ponder with.

I will keep you apprised as the building proceeds. There have been a lot of really great ideas offered here that should ensure a good installation. Then I guess it will be up to the wood planks and how well they will hold up. L and I were totally sold on the idea after viewing the house under construction - definitely adds a warmer feel to the place. Tile is nice too for many reasons but, as you say, not quite as homey - for us anyway.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Of course, if the sub-floor is poor the planking finish will be at least as poor if not more so.  So, if the tiles are perfect then why not - but bear in mind that tiles tend to pop (as mentioned by both Jack and I) so you are taking a risk IMO.  Also, don't forget the beauty of floating floors is they are designed to move a little so any minor undulations in the sub-floor will not be a problem.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

bear in mind that tiles tend to pop (as mentioned by both Jack and I) so you are taking a risk IMO.

That's good advice too. I am wondering if there is a possible fix for popped tiles?

On the yacht, I was able to fix adhesion and leakage problems beneath a thick, teak rail by drilling a small hole in the rail and then injecting adhesive down to the bad areas. Then I just used a teak plug to fix the hole. Can something like that be done with popped tiles - to drill a small hole in the grout (assuming there is grout and they aren't zero spaced?) and then inject some liquid adhesive? I would think that capillary action might draw the adhesive into the thin space? Or is the only proper repair to chip out the old and replace it (them)? Just thinking...:89: