Really?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

This morning on MSNBC online:

MANILA, Philippines — Saying “thank you” is enough, said an official of the National Police Commission (Napolcom) who advised the public against giving gifts to policemen.

Despite President Duterte’s earlier statements justifying police officers accepting gifts, Napolcom legal affairs service chief Chito Noel Bustonera yesterday said there is no need for a grateful citizen to give tokens or gifts to a police officer.

“As much as possible a mere ‘thank you’ already goes a long way because the law enforcer, in the performance of his duty, does not expect anything in return, just the gratitude of the people that he serves,” Bustonera added.

He said the mere gesture of saying thank you to a police officer serves as a morale booster.

“If you ask any Philippine National Police (PNP) personnel, saying ‘thank you’ is already a morale booster. I think that there is no longer any need for the public to give anything of value,” Bustonera said.

Bustonera said they follow the policy direction of their chairman, Secretary Eduardo Año of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), discouraging policemen from receiving gifts.

Año reminded policemen that they “are prohibited from receiving because that constitutes a grave offense that could lead to dismissal of a police officer from the service.”

PNP chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde said a simple thank you is more than enough to boost their morale.

Albayalde said the public should not give them gifts as taxpayers paid for their services.

What could be considered as exemptions are gifts of nominal or insignificant value such as food and drinks partaken during occasions and gatherings.

Albayalde admitted receiving gifts from people but these were only food during occasions.    

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I keep a 500 peso note tucked in behind my driver license just in case I fill the need to give law enforcement a gift. :whistling:

You are sounding a bit cheap, Mike... AK claims to have P1k attached to his license...:hystery:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

AK claims to have P1k attached to his license...:hystery:

Aye and I tend to think maybe Both Fake:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Aye and I tend to think maybe Both Fake:whistling:

Maybe all three fake?:hystery:

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I keep a 500 peso note tucked in behind my driver license just in case I fill the need to give law enforcement a gift. :whistling:

I wonder at what point a gift becomes a bribe - if you happen to come across a particularly honourable (I know,,,I know...) public official such a thing could lead to a lot of trouble

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I wonder at what point a gift becomes a bribe - if you happen to come across a particularly honourable (I know,,,I know...) public official such a thing could lead to a lot of trouble

My guess is that the new interpretation will be you offer and it is a gift.  They ask and that would be, or could be, considered as a bribe.  But who really knows?   In any case the president has created a very slippery slope. 

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

Finally..someone who admits to doing the same thing that I do. The gift price in Cavite however is 1k minimum now. You know..inflation!:thumbsup::wave:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Extremely unlikely. Honorable to them is only a word in the dictionary.:Policeman: 

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

You are sounding a bit cheap, Mike... AK claims to have P1k attached to his license...:hystery:

C,mon I'm not karipot. It's not a claim. It's a sad but happy fact. Sad for the Phills but happy for me.:wink: