Not a pet peeve but!.....

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Manners are for you. For me, it's "Do whatever I like". It's the same attitude for everything here, IMHO.

Aye and that is the root course of many things in just about anything we discuss yet most all just accept it, Laws we can nothing about but in our day to day Life Well :whatever: 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

And to think, in my young adulthood I was chastised for using the incorrect fork to eat my salad or an improper glass for the wine.  How times have changed.

Manners seem to have become personal choices.  It annoys me when other foreigners floss their teeth, blow their nose, or have a smoke while sitting at a table with a group of other foreigners.  And yet I have seen all of those things countless times.

The most impressive part of the opening post, for me, is the part where:

3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

they were asked to leave

I cannot recall another time when patrons have been asked to leave a restaurant except when they would not pay the cover charge or they looked/acted like beggars.  So this is an improvement.  One could say the staff are "brushing up" on their enforcement of hygiene related manners.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I did not order Human hair or any hair for Lunch, Right over her head it went, Then F....k me if the Boy borrowed her Comb and did the Same, I called the Staff and to my surprise they were asked to leave

Ignorance is the word I'm looking at Jack, as said, they probably have never been taught Hygiene or Manners.

But I truly believe that it is not just a strait in PI, you will find it the world over, especially in fast food places, which I try to avoid in UK.

I constantly correct my grandson's behaviour and manners at 10 years of age, at five he was so well mannered.

It's down to the parents to teach their children or correct them but "fings aint what de use to bee" :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
word change
  • Like 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I was going to put this in the Filipina Forum but it is not just the ladies at all, We sat down for Lunch yesterday and as the Food arrived so did a couple of Youngsters on the next table to ours which was very Close, So we began to eat when the Girl takes out her comb and starts to comb her hair, Dropping stands about the Table and some on ours, I just looked at her and she said Problema? yep I said, I did not order Human hair or any hair for Lunch, Right over her head it went, Then F....k me if the Boy borrowed her Comb and did the Same, I called the Staff and to my surprise they were asked to leave having been told we have CR's here. Of course there were words said But..........................:whatever: Table manners are just not taught here at all in my view :shake_80_anim_gif:

This reminds of the time when I went to the airport in LA to pick up my buddies wife and their 2 sons that arrived from the Philippines. I was still living in San Diego. On the way to SD we stopped at a McDonalds and went inside to eat. The boys who were about 10 and 14 just started throwing french fries at each other from across the table acting like idiots and the parents did nothing to stop it. I was embarrassed but the parents seemed not notice a thing.:facepalm_80_anim_gif: 

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

My Cebuana wife won't tolerate combing hair in a restaurant. She won't tolerate stretching at the table either. She says it's disrespectful to the food.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 3

Nickleback99
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I daresay that had i ever done that to an adult, my mother would have marched me out of that supermarket and all the way home, groceries forgotten. I would have been sent to my room until I reached 40 years or so. 

To include a serious butt whooping in my household I grew up in!

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I was going to put this in the Filipina Forum but it is not just the ladies at all, We sat down for Lunch yesterday and as the Food arrived so did a couple of Youngsters on the next table to ours which was very Close, So we began to eat when the Girl takes out her comb and starts to comb her hair, Dropping stands about the Table and some on ours, I just looked at her and she said Problema? yep I said, I did not order Human hair or any hair for Lunch, Right over her head it went, Then F....k me if the Boy borrowed her Comb and did the Same, I called the Staff and to my surprise they were asked to leave having been told we have CR's here. Of course there were words said But..........................:whatever: Table manners are just not taught here at all in my view :shake_80_anim_gif:

It's stories like this that make you sad you've grown old. :punch_80_anim_gif: that's what the bloke needed, :AddEmoticons04230: this is what she needed, the pair of them beating time on her rump. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

The boys who were about 10 and 14 just started throwing french fries at each other from across the table acting like idiots

Bad parenting.  Clearly they need to teach the children that McDonalds put those inedible pickles in the burgers to throw at people!

Wasting good fries when there are people starving in Africa (TM my father with belt in hand) should not be allowed :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Bad parenting. 

You are right, of course.

But, as an older parent who grew up in times when manners etc were still relatively important, I find it's like swimming against the tide with my son.  Not only are parents not the only exposure kids are getting (peers, social media etc etc) , the simple and sad reality is that things have moved on and manners are just not as valued as they once.  Also, if you compare manners in our grandparents era to our parents to ours, you will see there were significant changes and I's imagine our grandparents would be turning in their graves at how we behaved in our younger days!    

I'm not saying it''s right, or good but isn't it the way it has always been?

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1