Seriously considering moving to the Philippines - Need More Info

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
On 8/25/2019 at 10:28 AM, "P2" said:

So what would you guys say is the average rent on a 3 bedroom 2 bath house that is over 1700 sq. ft. and near the water and with enough yard to have fruit trees...? Or is that asking too much?

An average 3 bedroom house will be nowhere near 1,700 sq feet (158 sqm).  You would be lucky to find one half that size... they build em small here.  That is why some expats build there own. 

• Like 2

"P2"
Posted
Posted

Are the persons renting the house flexible and willing to negotiate on the monthly rental price or are they typically set in stone? Didn't know if they are receptive to "haggling" or not...

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

location is obviously a big one!

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I hardly think that the OP will be helped by a comment that your rent will be whatever the market will bear.

Pot and kette?

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, "P2" said:

Are the persons renting the house flexible and willing to negotiate on the monthly rental price or are they typically set in stone? Didn't know if they are receptive to "haggling" or not...

It is always worth 'haggling'! You never know the situation of the other party.

I leave all the negotiations to my good lady who is very good at it. She has always been able to get the rental reduced. Another thing is, it is the 'norm' here to pay two months deposit and a month in advance. In the past she be able to get the deposit reduced to a month. If not, she has always been able to negotiate the other way round, ie two months rent in advance and a months deposit. The outlay is the same, but it puts you in a better position, financially.

That applies to just about everything here. If at all possible, try not to involve yourself in negotiations.  You will almost certainly get a better price.

Ken

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, "P2" said:

Are the persons renting the house flexible and willing to negotiate on the monthly rental price

Yes and no.  I had a Fil/Am couple neotiate with me and I got a lower price.  I had a Filipino lady negotiate with me, when she saw white skin she said "that was an old price, there has been a price increase since then.  I had another Filipino lady negotiate by taking my deposit and saying "just wait a week and I'll be there to let you move in".  A week later "I can give you your deposit back but I cannot rent it to you.  When I told another foreigner what I was renting it to you for he said that was too low and he would pay more.  So I rented it to him".

Your mileage may vary.  (Yes I know that is not helpful but this is Philippines and there are few rules when it comes to renting houses except they will charge you whatever they think they can get from you.)

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My advice @p2 is to read the topic my visa woes By JGF. There might be changes coming for a tourist visa.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Pot and kette?

The OP may be interested to know rental prices in other areas are different from Cebu, perhaps cheaper. Who knows, the choice of location may be flexible. Nothing wrong with additional information.

In the other hand, it depends isn't particularly useful information. 

So, far from pot and kettle.

Clermont
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Sure. Contact me when you are coming.  

Good, how do I contact you, the little envelope for PM is missing, I don't know whether it's not allowed anymore or I can't find it. :thumbsup: 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

So, far from pot and kettle.

(Intentionally left blank as I can see you are not going to quit until you get the last word in. :lipssealed_80_anim_gif: )

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

(Intentionally left blank as I can see you are not going to quit until you get the last word in. :lipssealed_80_anim_gif: )

Huh - you asked a question and I responded.  Hardly the best example of someone trying to get the last word in.  :89:

Let's leave it at that.  :thumbsup:

• Haha 1