U.S. Social Security statement?

Tom77
Posted
Posted

Hi

I'm a U.S. citizen. Would anyone know if I can obtain my social security statement listing my job history and future entitlement benefits at the U.S Embassy in Manilla? Tried to open an account online but I cant. Was told I had to go to an office in person. Being I'm here in Asia I am trying to avoid going all the way back to the states. Tried contacting embassy in Manilla, no answer . Any info would be appreciated . 

Thanks 

• Hmm thinking 1

roddavis
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Tom77 said:

Hi

I'm a U.S. citizen. Would anyone know if I can obtain my social security statement listing my job history and future entitlement benefits at the U.S Embassy in Manilla? Tried to open an account online but I cant. Was told I had to go to an office in person. Being I'm here in Asia I am trying to avoid going all the way back to the states. Tried contacting embassy in Manilla, no answer . Any info would be appreciated . 

Thanks 

Have you tried signing up for "myssa" under SocSecurity website. If you have problems opening your account online it could be that you need to use a VPN to spoof that you are in the States instead of the PI. Websites are getting real picky about network security of foreign logins. When I go to myssa, I use a VPN with the server in California.

Anyway, read up on myssa. It will list everything about work amounts. what your benefits would be, etc,... I used myssa online to start getting my benefits a couple years ago while he in Phils. Also check with embassy to signup foe smart travelor. You will get notifications in email also when the SSA from Manila will be in your area. If your in Cebu, the SSA will be at the Cebu Embassy next month on 9/11-12. PM for details if needed!

:fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tom77 said:

Hi

Thanks 

When I applied for my SS benefits when I turned 62 I called the US Embassy via landline and they were nothing but helpful. I gave them my info and they had me call them back in about 3 days. They had all of my work history and contributions right in front of them on their commuter screen. I remember that I did have to sign something that they sent me and send it back to them. The phone, email, and fax numbers on their website all are good. Try again.:wave:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Tom77
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice I tried to open an online account.  Was refused. So I called. They told me that the address i entered didnt match  what Eqifax has. Which concerns me. Ive never dealt with eqifax. This concerns me. So ssa told me to go to a branch office . Im in Cambodia now and really dont want to fly to the states just to obtain a statement. I was hoping the embassy in manilla could help.

• Hmm thinking 1

Tom77
Posted
Posted

Thanks AZ

I wrote them an email. So far no answer. I'll try calling 

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tom77 said:

Thanks for the advice I tried to open an online account.  Was refused. So I called. They told me that the address i entered didnt match  what Eqifax has. Which concerns me. Ive never dealt with eqifax. This concerns me. So ssa told me to go to a branch office . Im in Cambodia now and really dont want to fly to the states just to obtain a statement. I was hoping the embassy in manilla could help.

You don't have to have dealings with Equifax, if you ever had anything that generated a credit score or bills in your name in the last 10 years or so, they made you their business. 

• Like 1

Tom77
Posted
Posted

I can not access my social security statement online because according to the social security dept. the address i provided doesnt match what g.d eqifax has. Yep thats what I  was told. Evidently SSA relies on eqifax info. The credit bereau that was hacked in 2017 and where 145 million people had their personal information stolen. Including ss numbers.

• Sad 1

Tom77
Posted
Posted

Ive had no dealings with Equifax in ten years. So its possible someone has used my ss# 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tom77 said:

The credit bereau that was hacked in 2017 and where 145 million people had their personal information stolen. Including ss numbers.

This why the majority of European Companies/ Governments will not use the Internet for sensitive dealings  :huh:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Tom77 said:

Ive had no dealings with Equifax in ten years. So its possible someone has used my ss# 

Someone using your SS# is always a possibility, but that is not the point here.

As Robert said, Equifax is just a credit reporting agency.  One of the big 3 in the U.S.:  Equifax, Experion and Transunion.  Your credit rating is tracked by them.  You don't have "dealings" with them.  They get their data from credit card companies, mortgage companies, etc.

What I would do is get your credit reports from Equifax and the others, then go over it to look for errors and check your address history.  If there are errors you can request to have them corrected.  You should be able to get the reports for free, once a year, I think.

Edit:  Here is the official free credit report web site:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Regarding the data breach, there was a settlement and you have options.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/equifax-ftc-settlement-how-to-pick-between-the-free-credit-monitoring-or-125-cash/

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1