U.S. Social Security statement?

Joey G
Posted
Posted (edited)

Your problem isn't Equifax... what the SSA did was to ensure you are who say you are online.  When they compare the information you provided when you first tried to sign up was to check with one of the major credit reporting companies (Equifax is one of them) to verify the information you provided.  Once you try to apply and the information you provided doesn't match what the credit companies have on file... they will not approve opening a MYSocialSecurity account online. This is totally for your protection.

Contacting Equifax won't help... once the SSA gets a "wrong answer" and can't verify the information from someone applying online, they completely shutdown any online application from being processed regardless of what, in this case Equifax, might change.

Suggest you try this:

Philippines
Federal Benefits Unit
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Boulevard
Ermita, Manila 0930
Philippines
Phone: 632-301-2000
Fax: 632-708-9714 or 632-708-9723
Email: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov

Edited by Joey G
bad grammar on my part, confusing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

Tom77
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Joey G said:

Your problem isn't Equifax... what the SSA did was to ensure you are who say you are online.  When they compare the information you provided when you first tried to sign up was to check with one of the major credit reporting companies (Equifax is one of them) to verify the information you provided.  Once you try to apply and the information you provided doesn't match what the credit companies have on file... they will not approve opening a MYSocialSecurity account online. This is totally for your protection.

Contacting Equifax won't help... once the SSA gets a "wrong answer" and can't verify the information from someone applying online, they completely shutdown any online application from being processed regardless of what, in this case Equifax, might change.

Suggest you try this:

Philippines
Federal Benefits Unit
United States Embassy
1201 Roxas Boulevard
Ermita, Manila 0930
Philippines
Phone: 632-301-2000
Fax: 632-708-9714 or 632-708-9723
Email: FBU.Manila@ssa.gov

Joey thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Equfax was hacked in 2017 .

145 million+  identities were compromised. SSN's ,birth dates, addresses ,etc. I was one of them. So actually my problem is with EQUIFAX.  AND  Social Security uses them to verify!? Insane. Maybe equifax is using an address I had 20 years ago. or my identity was stolen who knows...

You're right dealing with Equifax is useless. At this point I need to get my statement  and see if anyone has been using my ssn without having to fly half way around the world to do it.  

I emailed the Embassy last week , no reponse .

I'll try calling the number you sent. See if that helps.

Thanks 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/2/2019 at 4:28 PM, Tom77 said:

Joey thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Equfax was hacked in 2017 .

145 million+  identities were compromised. SSN's ,birth dates, addresses ,etc. I was one of them. So actually my problem is with EQUIFAX.  AND  Social Security uses them to verify!? Insane. Maybe equifax is using an address I had 20 years ago. or my identity was stolen who knows...

You're right dealing with Equifax is useless. At this point I need to get my statement  and see if anyone has been using my ssn without having to fly half way around the world to do it.  

I emailed the Embassy last week , no reponse .

I'll try calling the number you sent. See if that helps.

Thanks 

I just got an e-mail from Equifax about the settlement.  You can check to see if you are one of those impacted here:

https://eligibility.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/eligibility

I was one of those impacted.  So now I can choose $125 cash or 10 years of free credit monitoring.  I will choose the credit monitoring.

• Like 1

Tom77
Posted
Posted
On 9/7/2019 at 8:30 AM, OnMyWay said:

I just got an e-mail from Equifax about the settlement.  You can check to see if you are one of those impacted here:

I was one of those impacted.  So now I can choose $125 cash or 10 years of free credit monitoring.  I will choose the credit monitoring.

Thanks. I checked it out and yeah I was impacted. I took the 10 yr credit monitor as well. 145 million peoples i.d. was compromised. Theres 300 million in the U.S. . And Equifax gets no more than a slap on the wrist .

• Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted

I'm totally clueless on this Equifax. Never heard of it and how does it have any effect on SS benefits? Do you have to register with them? :4617:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

I'm totally clueless on this Equifax. Never heard of it and how does it have any effect on SS benefits? Do you have to register with them? :4617:

AZ, read the previous posts.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

AK... Here's the brief into about Equifax and others... maybe it will help or confuse you more?

Credit bureaus, also called credit reporting agencies (CRAs), are companies that collect and maintain consumer credit information. They then resell it to other businesses in the form of a consumer's credit report. There are three major credit agencies in the United States: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

Many many things key on information and ratings that these companies contain and manage.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Thanks 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted
On 9/6/2019 at 7:30 PM, OnMyWay said:

Agree... taking the 10 year free credit monitoring is the best deal... here's why... the $125 is am estimate based on how many people take the cash option... so many are taking it... the payout will be significantly less... probably closer to $10... if even.  

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

AK... Here's the brief into about Equifax and others... maybe it will help or confuse you more?

Credit bureaus, also called credit reporting agencies (CRAs), are companies that collect and maintain consumer credit information. They then resell it to other businesses in the form of a consumer's credit report. There are three major credit agencies in the United States: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.

Many many things key on information and ratings that these companies contain and manage.

I get all that. But why would it effect anyone's social security benefits? I guess the box of rocks is gaining on me!:89: 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I get all that. But why would it effect anyone's social security benefits? I guess the box of rocks is gaining on me!:89: 

It's because Social Security relies on information it gets from the credit agencies. If they have conflicting information or inaccurate information about you or your credit then there is concern about possible id theft and that can lock up your benefits until resolved. Then it's up to you to have to prove to them that you are really you and you need to correct their data records.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2