Here's a good one! No school and no work for the government this afternoon!

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Sorry, SonJack, but I don't agree with your comment.

Yes... From what L tells me (she is a high school teacher here in Davao) there are a lot of lazy and worthless teachers. No argument there. And yes, they are not trained nearly as well as in Britain, USA, Canada...

But, even the good ones suffer because they are expected to teach curriculums without proper materials or equipment. Computers, textbooks, visual aids? I don't think you can blame the problem totally on teachers.

I am not being defensive for L or other teachers, but just relating what I see and hear here. 

I wrote some of the teachers

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Whilst we jest at such things - what else can we do? - it is indicative of the disdain in which authorities hold the general population 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

From what L tells me (she is a high school teacher here in Davao)

Disqualified comment :hystery:.  You got a dog in the fight. :hystery::5590:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

However, after a bit, we find out that most government workers, nationally, get off at 2 pm today, "so that they can have dinner with their family". 

They still have four hours to catch up on gossip, then have lunch and take an hour and half nap before they go home.  Tough job, but someone has to do it. :whistling:

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

You got a dog in the fight.

Ouch!! But you are right... I cannot judge (and I am in no capacity to be a "judge" anyway) the system really.

But I do see that they have inadequate teaching aids and books and equipment. We are trying to add some things for the kids here, but what can we do for thousands of poor kids? It seems insurmountable. So we just try our best to help a few when we can - best we can do...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Disqualified comment :hystery:.  You got a dog in the fight. :hystery::5590:

Me thinks that Tommy's "L" was looking over his shoulder as he wrote his post.  He didn't want her to go on strike (at home). :whistling:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Me thinks that Tommy's "L" was looking over his shoulder as he wrote his post.  He didn't want her to go on strike (at home). :whistling:

Nope!

I am safe... she is at school now - fighting to get more teacher assistance.

Believe me, I would not want to be in a fight with her...!!! There are certainly bigger dogs out there, but none as smart or viscous  as she could be if really pissed off. She is remarkably even tempered, even when provoked... And I haven't witnessed - in almost 4 years - where she might go... so we are on the same team here...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Just heard Monday is a transportation strike (nationwide?) to oppose a gas tax increase.  Supposedly classes are cancelled.  Not sure how it works with unions here, but my understanding is this strike will affect Jeepny's and tricycles.  Sometimes I have to treat these things as hearsay until I can corroborate the details....   sifting fact from fiction via second hand info from my asawa you understand...

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 9/23/2019 at 10:07 AM, OnMyWay said:

In our area, classes are very easily suspended when a few raindrops fall.:tongue:

Same thing here. No rain..no school..rain..school. My 14 yr old son is so happy when school is canceled. I've tried to explain to him that the no school days will just stretch out the school years longer. They have to attend school for a set amount of days to complete the grade. He's in private also.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

They have to attend school for a set amount of days to complete the grade.

True, but attending and learning are two different things.  There is a school that we sometimes pass on Saturdays.  If the school needs to add a day, they have it on Saturday and the kids are outside the school.  Some are sweeping, some picking up litter, but most are standing around in their uniforms chatting or using cell phones.

• Sad 2