Davao River contaminated with polio virus

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/environment/ocean-cleanup-ship-sweeps-first-pacific-plastic/ar-AAI9VHx?li=BBUPk4T

'Ocean Cleanup' ship sweeps first Pacific plastic

7 hrs ago

A special ship designed to clean the oceans has harvested its first plastic from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch since setting sail from San Francisco last month, its Dutch inventor said Wednesday.

© JOSH EDELSON Ocean Cleanup's ship finally sailed from San Francisco on September 9 for trials on cleaning the patch

The project by The Ocean Cleanup, a Dutch non-profit group, involves a supply ship towing a floating boom that corrals marine plastic with the aim of cleaning half of the infamous patch within five years.

"Today we announce that our cleaning system in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch has been catching plastic for the first time," Boyan Slat, the 25-year-old Dutch CEO and founder of The Ocean Cleanup, told a press conference in Rotterdam.

© JOSH EDELSON Slat came up with the idea seven years ago, and the system has been undergoing tests for the past year

"It's the first time actually anyone harvests plastic from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. So we think that we can actually clean the oceans."

Slat came up with the idea seven years ago, and the system has been undergoing tests for the past year.

The Maersk Launcher ship finally sailed from San Francisco on September 9 for trials on cleaning the patch, a floating trash pile twice the size of France that swirls in the ocean halfway between California and Hawaii.

It was towing a 600 metre(2,000-foot)-long boom device designed by Slat dubbed System 001, aimed at containing floating ocean plastic so it can be scooped up and recycled.

The system includes a tapered three-metre skirt to catch plastic floating just below the surface.

The stuff floating is probably a very small percentage of what us idiotic humans have dumped with no regard into the ecosystem. I won't be around to see the end result, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a good thing.:sad:

• Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 10/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, Gary D said:

We are seeing a similar drop in vacation in the UK, I think largely due to the internet cranks.

Funny that you should mention vaccination in the uk

I was working this morning in a medical center and the nurses were getting their stuff together to go out to the schools and vaccinate the kids for several different potential ailments

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 10/3/2019 at 9:03 AM, Arizona Kid said:

The stuff floating is probably a very small percentage of what us idiotic humans have dumped with no regard into the ecosystem. I won't be around to see the end result, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a good thing.:sad:

I found a bottle of beer once in a trench at 450ft down in the north sea  does that count ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I found a bottle of beer once in a trench at 450ft down in the north sea  does that count ?

Well... I guess it does matter if you drank it and didn't pick up the bottle for return... (only half jesting here)

I think it would be shocking to see what the bottom of the oceans were like if you could truly drain them like alluded to in the recent National Geographic series.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/science/104-pieces-of-plastic-found-in-baby-sea-turtle-that-washed-ashore/ar-AAImHD7?li=BBnbcA1

If you want to be truly disgusted, check out this link I found yesterday...

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Back on subject of polio

WHO is to hold a summit in Manila after type 2 polio virus has been discovered there also to discuss dengue and measles outbreak 

Just read this on the news

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, bastonjock said:

You probably dropped it off the boat you were on, and when you ran out of beer you had to go retrieve it.:smile:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

You probably dropped it off the boat you were on, and when you ran out of beer you had to go retrieve it.:smile:

It was a bottle of grolsch,  I'll never forget finding it , I had been in the sat ( diving ) chamber for 25 days , I could I could have murdered it with a ciggy  , mind you it would have been harder to light the smoke lol than drink the beer 

• Haha 1