Have any of you become citizens of PH?

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

As I understand it Geoff, there is no 'renunciation' per-se when applying for citizenship here.  In other words, they are not asking for proof from your home government.  There could be rules or procedures in place from the Australian side, in your case, which I wouldn't know about.  For US citizens there is an actual application process to go through for renunciation, which is a wholly separate thing from applying for citizenship elsewhere.  Lots of people in the world have dual citizenship, I can't see how having a Philippine passport would jeopardize ones' status at home.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Lots of people in the world have dual citizenship, I can't see how having a Philippine passport would jeopardize ones' status at home.

This is true - as long as both countries recognise dual-nationality!  I thought the Philippines did?  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

This is true - as long as both countries recognise dual-nationality!  I thought the Philippines did?  

It would appear only if you are a Filipino otherwise they don't

• Thanks 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

It would appear only if you are a Filipino otherwise they don't

If I understand this correctly, this means if you hold a Filipino passport you can then also get a passport for another country (assuming they recognise dual nationality) but if you hold another country's passport and then try to get a Filipino one you need to "drop" the other one ?

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, hk blues said:

If I understand this correctly, this means if you hold a Filipino passport you can then also get a passport for another country (assuming they recognise dual nationality) but if you hold another country's passport and then try to get a Filipino one you need to "drop" the other one ?

That is what I was told yes... but given that some of the other information I was told turned out to be wrong I really don't know what to believe at this point.

• Thanks 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Actually I think Philippines doesn't recognize dual nationality.  But at the same time, they aren't asking you to prove renunciation. At least that is my understanding.  For those like me who essentially want to emigrate here, its a bit of a moot point.  I think your understanding on it is opposite from mine.  I was told a Filipino acquiring a foreign passport would need to give up their PI passport.  But a US citizen at least, doesn't just 'give up' their passport so easily...its a process.  So a US citizen may end up holding both passports, but I'm not sure it works the same in reverse.  

Maybe some of you with wives who emigrated to the US can add to the discussion.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

When my wife first emigrated to the UK on acquiring British citizenship she automatically lost her filipino citizenship, Although there was no mechanism to stop her maintaining her filipino passport at the same time. Once she was able to reaquire her filipino citizenship when dual citizenship was recognised she did. Although to be honest it is of very little benifit to her. We always use her British passport and enters as a balikbayan when we come to the Philippines to save the travel tax on exit.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

That HK is about it as it says in the Link I provided before, To end all this maybe someone should try it and let us know how it went but I tend to think that what is written on various Links everywhere the best we ( as foreigners) can expect is Permanent Residence through one of the Channels available ie 13a or SSRV :tiphat: 

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I wonder how this impacts those who have obtained, for example, UK passports for their kids.  Are we saying that technically speaking they cannot hold both the UK and Filipino passport i.e. they would need to drop the UK one to maintain the Filipino one?  

Or maybe I am misunderstanding completely - it wouldn't be the 1st time!  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Actually I think Philippines doesn't recognize dual nationality.

2 hours ago, Gary D said:

Once she was able to reaquire her filipino citizenship when dual citizenship was recognised she did.

Confusing...:89: