When to move with details inside.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 10/19/2019 at 7:53 PM, usa32 said:

I understand what your saying. It can be cheap. apples for apples, its probably the same. as in I live in a huge house, that probably doesn't even exist there of similar build quality. So obviously my lifestyle would be dialed back quite a bit. Plenty of gold diggers there, I have no doubt. However, at least for me, being a balding , slightly overweight white guy in the usa,   vs. there in the Philippines, i dont think anyone would argue my options would be plentiful there, and here, not so much. Especially, if you want a slim woman, with a semi-decent attitude. That's a big draw for me, as it is for others. The fact I could retire early and live a simpler life appeals to me as well. As well, as being SE asia, it would be alot easier for me to travel to some other countries I want to check out, thailand, vietnam, Singapore etc.

Those are the main reasons.

No offence intended, but you say your options would be better here than in the USA - why would you imagine that to be the case - because you are financially sorted? Already this sets off alarm bells to me.

As for house size and quality - you'd be surprised at the number of wealthy Filipinos who live in palatial luxury here. Please don't assume this is a 3rd world backwater - in some areas it is but in orhers its up there with anywhere. And those are the places we are most likely to be gravitating towards more than the squatter areas.

That said, if you are really looking to dial down your life and meet a simple woman and live a simple life then absolutely this place can work for you.

Your reasons are sound enough, absolutely. Just give some thought as to how you'll pass your days - once the honeymoon period wears off you are faced with the reality of living in a place where there isn't that much to do unless you're dipping into your wallet. - same as everywhere else in that respect.

Again, hope you make the decision thst works for you and good luck!

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 10/19/2019 at 7:14 AM, Snowy79 said:

From my perspective I retired here at 50 and brought 9m peso equivalent into the country.   I invested where I thought and has turned out to be a winner.  I purchased a condo on a holiday island that on a bad month turns over 70 peso per month.  By the end of next year it will have paid for itself, that's in under 4yrs. 

Over 70 peso per month.:shock_40_anim_gif:

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

Over 70 peso per month.:shock_40_anim_gif:

The edit should have changed it to 70k.  It did on my screen. :56da64af91f92_23_11_602:

• Love it 1

Rayj
Posted
Posted
On 10/19/2019 at 7:53 AM, usa32 said:

......, being a balding , slightly overweight white guy in the usa,   vs. there in the Philippines, i dont think anyone would argue my options would be plentiful there, and here, not so much. Especially, if you want a slim woman, with a semi-decent attitude. .

My sentiments also. I met my wife here in the USA through a friend who was active in connecting with Asian single girls through Asian friendship society, Christian singles dances, etc. I struck gold a million to one in my estimation. There are others I know who did it too. Hospitals employ lots of Nurses. If you can get to know any, ask if they know anyone. I’m sure there are many eager to meet a solvent healthy male such as yourself. And if they made it to America on their own dime, then you know they are capable. Chances are using your plan, what if your dream girl dreams of coming to the USA? Find a girl here with a 4 year degree with a work history and you’ll have it. Filipinos are everywhere here if you can just make a connection. New York City, Jersey City, Groton CT, Virginia Beach,  Las Vegas, All of California have large populations. America will be that more interesting for you for another 10 years or more.

• Like 3

bob1965
Posted
Posted

What about a leave of absence from you job? Try it for 3 months or so and see if it’s what you really want. I think most of us who haven’t made the final move worry most about the money, and forget that we may not like it as much as we think.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, bob1965 said:

... and forget that we may not like it as much as we think.

That is pretty much what I've been trying to say, it's not the paradise it may seem for everyone. For some, yes but it very much depends on what's driving the desire.

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 10/21/2019 at 12:01 AM, stevewool said:

I retired here at 50 and brought 9m peso equivalent into the country. 

Was wondering if you could expound on how you could bring that much into the country. I have a few assets in the US. that I would love to use.:smile:

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Arizona Kid said:

Was wondering if you could expound on how you could bring that much into the country. I have a few assets in the US. that I would love to use.:smile:

I don't see any difficulty. I moved 650k peso equivalent into the country last Wednesday in real-time just by dragging it from my UK account and dropping it into my Philippines account. All online and at no cost.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Arizona Kid said:

You can bring as much as you want into the Philippines but must declare everything over, I think, 10,000 dollars. That said, I have transferred £10,000 from my UK banks here on 5 or 6 occasions over the past 4 years with no questions asked - all done with just a phone call or online request to my UK bank. Whilst the rules don't specifically say so, I'd imagine they are mostly concerned with large amounts of hard cash coming in due to money laundering.

usa32
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the great replies as usual. I love this board.