Often hear that nothing changes

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We can thank DILG chief Eduardo Año and Mayor Isko for this.  Let's hope it keeps going as it is definitely some progress for the Philippines!

Related articles:

https://news.mb.com.ph/2019/10/23/mayor-isko-to-suspend-99-village-officials-for-failing-to-enforce-road-clearing-ops/

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1181511/iskos-birthday-wish-of-citywide-cleanup-comes-true

• Like 4

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Its one, small step for man.....

One giant leap for mankind!   I wonder if they can transition to asphalt roadways at some point instead of concrete :)

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

Along Quirino blvd they are not strictly enforcing a 24 hour no parking

I think you meant "they are strictly enforcing"?

I think one of the main points was to increase the speed of traffic, since Manila has such bad traffic.

Your unintended consequences seem like a small trade off to me, considering the benefits for most people.  Cars may be going faster but at least people have a chance to walk on the sidewalk instead of in the street.

This is not really a new government program.  It is enforcement of current laws.  Enforcement is something we know is lacking so I view these changes as very positive.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

small trade off

I agree in most cases 

17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

chance to walk on the sidewalk

Where there is a sidewalk. Again, this is only an observation about my little slice of paradise :whistling:.  My area is the original "downtown" of the stop over between Manila and Cavite so the infrastructure is not that developed or just plain outdated.  Along our sidewalks (just wide enough for one person) over the years the  city has installed huge light posts making a pedestrian step into the gutter. Now that the "gutters" are cleared of parked cars scooters run in the area that a person is forced to walk on :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Don't get me wrong, I approve of the improvements, its just that some of the improvements were implemented with out measures to control some of the side effects. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Maybe this video should be in a different forum but for those who says nothing gets done/ 

Maybe you haven't been reading the posts lately in the forum. Most of us agree that the road clearing operations have been very successful. The cleaning of Manila bay has started..but without follow up it will quickly turn into yesterdays news. Cleaning the bay will not make any difference if people keep throwing their trash into the rivers that feed into it. :56da64b24b45d_36_1_501: 

• Like 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

Along our sidewalks (just wide enough for one person) over the years the  city has installed huge light posts making a pedestrian step into the gutter

After the first few months of living here, when I was still car-less, a thought occurred to me.   For a culture that is so heavily 'walking intensive', its amazing so little effort is given to pedestrian access.  This seems systemic all the way up and down:  sidewalks (if they exist) are too narrow and are situated on top of stinky storm drains.  Until recently, people were often forced to walk around parked cars, out in the roadway itself.  On rural roads, there is no shoulder on which to walk, so people are forced to walk on the road...which itself is only two lanes wide with NO extra margin.  We would all have a gazillion examples of uncovered holes, low hanging wires, and other hazards to pedestrians.  Enforcing these roadway ordinances is a great first step, but I don't know what the second step would be without ripping it all up and starting over.  

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

On the road to our house here in Moalboal there is wall after wall, and even some houses that now are marked for demolition and/or set back with a large spray painted "X".   There is supposed to be a one meter set back from the road to any structure.  The walls and some of the building actually go right up to the edge of the road.  Spray paint is cheap, so we will see if there will be any actual demolition. 

• Like 1